INHUMANITY - The Inhumans return in new mini-event rebrand

Upcoming Marvel Comics ongoing series "Inhuman" has a new writer: Charles Soule, taking over from Matt Fraction. Joe Madureira remains as series artist.

"Years ago, young(er) Charles made up a list of Marvel characters that would be a blast to someday write -- my Marvel Dream Team, basically -- and the Inhumans were on that list," Soule said in Marvel statement released Monday. "So getting an opportunity to work with those awesome, strange, classic characters, as well as to expand the existing mythology into cool new places is pretty extraordinary."

One of the mainstream comic book industry's biggest rising stars, Soule already writes "Thunderbolts" and the February-debuting "She-Hulk" for Marvel, along with "Superman/Wonder Woman," "Swamp Thing" and "Red Lanterns" at DC Comics, and "Letter 44" at Oni Press.

"As soon as I read Charles’ first 'Thunderbolts' script, I knew he was going to be a star," Marvel editor-in-chief Axel Alonso said in Marvel's press release. "His pitch for 'She-Hulk' proved that he thought big and would bring a lot to the world-building of 'Inhuman.'"

"Inhuman" was originally scheduled to debut in January, before the launch was delayed three months to April 2014. Existing orders for the first two issues were canceled, and will be resolicited. No explanation has been given by Marvel for the switch.

"I can't get into the specifics of the delay just yet," Alonso said in the Dec. 6 installment of CBR's "Axel-In Charge" column. "Expect more info soon, but I will say that it won't affect anything. The story told in 'Inhuman' -- while super-important to the future of the Marvel Universe -- is not time-sensitive. Our plans for the Inhumans are long-term and far-reaching. They are extremely strong characters with a rich mythology that we intend to mine for decades to come, so we're in no rush to tell any one aspect of that story."

Marvel first announced Fraction and Madureira's "Inhuman" in July, as a centerpiece series in the publisher's current "Inhumanity" status quo. "Inhumanity" follows the events of recently wrapped event story "Infinity," with thousands of latent Inhumans seeing their powers suddenly activated as a result of a Terrigen Bomb explosion.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49752

INHAWAKE2013002-DC11-LR-4d57e.jpg

INHAWAKE2013002-int-LR2-1-ee886.jpg

INHAWAKE2013002-int-LR2-2-c983f.jpg

INHAWAKE2013002-int-LR2-3-1a7de.jpg

INHAWAKE2013002-int-LR2-4-87cf1.jpg

INHAWAKE2013002-int-LR2-5-8293d.jpg

INHAWAKE2013002-int-LR2-6-9c278.jpg

INHUMANS-001-2ba95.jpg

INHUMAN #1
CHARLES SOULE (W)
JOE MADUREIRA (A/C)
Variant Cover by Humberto Ramos
VARIANT Cover by J. Scott Campbell
VARIANT Cover by Milo Manara
Design VARIANT by JOE MADUREIRA
Blank Cover Variant Also Available
RESOLICITATION!
The newest super heroes of the Marvel Universe are born! A cloud of Terrigen mist is moving around the world turning regular people into Inhumans with amazing powers. But not everyone thinks this is a good thing. Discover the secret history of the Marvel Universe and get in at the ground floor of the next big Marvel franchise!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Inhuman-Cover2-fin-efe6e.jpg

INHUMAN #2
CHARLES SOULE (W) • JOE MADUREIRA (A/C)
Artist Variant by FRANK CHO
• New Inhumans are transformed every day as the Terrigen Mist spreads around the world.
• Queen Medusa finds herself face to face with Captain America, and it doesn’t go well.
• Who is Lash and what does he want with the new Inhumans?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Marvel's 'Inhumanity': EW Exclusive! Learn all about Marvel's gamechanging comics event
Darren Franich said:
The Marvel universe is getting a radical makeover in December, and it’s all because of the Inhumans. A race of superpowered beings created eons ago by extraterrestrial experimentation, the Inhumans have been part of the Marvel Universe since the Lee/Kirby days. Inhuman mythology is fascinating and rife with weird metaphor and outré affectations. They have a royal family, headed up by Black Bolt, whose voice carries a supersonic force so devastating that he can never speak. And a key aspect of Inhuman life is exposure to the Terrigen Mist, a mysterious vapor that activates Inhuman biology and grants superpowers. As Marvel Comics Editor-In-Chief Axel Alonso puts it, “In a world filled with musclebound characters in spandex, the Inhumans were weirder. They were hippies!”

And in “Inhumanity,” the Inhumans — and everything they represent — will move to the forefront. In the wake of this Fall’s “Infinity” crossover event, the Terrigen Mists are released throughout the world — which results in millions of Inhuman descendants around the world suddenly witnessing the activation of their dormant Inhuman cells. (Basically, if your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparents were Inhumans, you could have superpowers.) “The effect on the Marvel Universe will be seismic,” says Alonso. The Terrigen Mists affects all Inhumans differently, granting powers that typically reflect one’s personality, like a hyper-specific Sorting Hat. So “Inhumanity” opens the possibility for a fascinating array of new characters. “You might learn that your new self is fantastic, beautiful, filled with immense power,” says Alonso. “By the same token, you could turn around and find out that you’re nothing. You’re a blob. You have no powers. You can create a little flame out of your pinkie.”
From THR 10/28/2011:
'Game of Thrones' Author's Superhero Anthology 'Wild Cards' Headed to Big Screen (Heat Vision Exclusive)
Borys Kit said:
Wild Cards is a series of books and stories set in a shared universe where an alien virus has been unleashed over New York City. Those who survived were turned into either a class of beings named Jokers, mostly deformed creatures, (or more rarely) Aces, who have special powers.

The first book was published in 1987, around the same time as such work as Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns and Alan Moore's The Watchmen were being hailed as revolutionizing the comics scene.

The tales, written initially by science fiction and fantasy authors who also included Roger Zelazny and Lewis Shiner, among others, provided an alternate history of Earth and told superhero stories grounded in realism, a strategy that would be emulated in both comics and, later, in movies such as the recent Christopher Nolan-directed Batman films.

Was the point of this just to give them more mutant type people again? I read some of this and that was all I got out of it.

A theory I heard is they want to work the Inhumans into the cinematic universe taking up the place of Mutants. So instead of having the movies come out and the comic books alter to fit the status of the films, they'll alter the status of the comics so the movies appear to follow the lead set in print.

Just a theory I heard though. Very well, and probably is ********.

A theory I heard is they want to work the Inhumans into the cinematic universe taking up the place of Mutants. So instead of having the movies come out and the comic books alter to fit the status of the films, they'll alter the status of the comics so the movies appear to follow the lead set in print.

Just a theory I heard though. Very well, and probably is ********.

It's an old theory and one that Kevin Feige has shot down pretty much completely. QS and SW are pretty much the only mutant characters they'd likely have access to anyway, and they're obviously going in a completely different direction than that, which him saying a very emphatic "No" to the Inhuman idea with them.

So, Idk how many people are reading Inhuman but I finally got around to it and it's quite good. At first, I was opposed to the idea of the Inhumans getting a bug push b/c I thought it'd be at the expense of my beloved mutants. However, they're able to tell similar stories about a struggling species w/o being bogged down by decades of messy continuity. Joe Mad's art is always a treat too.

And Gorgon :atp:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"