Age of Ultron Scaret Witch and Quicksilver, First of the Inhumans?

So Inhumans officially exist in the MCU as revealed in AoS tonight and there are many apparently. Does this finally tell us the twins are Inhumans and only being controlled via mind control staff?

Today's Axis #7 reveals that Magneto is not the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. This opens the door in the comics for a total rewrite of the origin of the twins.

Yeah I'm turned around on this. Given that Inhumans are *somehow* widespread in the MCU, it would be easy for the twins to have Inhuman lineage and have the Mind Stone activate them artificially. Might explain why they're so unstable

It makes sense for them to widespread if they are going to be the MCU version of mutants, and easily explained by before the inhumans founded attilan a group of them integrated back into humanity.

I'm pretty sure it's been said the twins definitely aren't Inhumans, but it does make sense and gives an easy explanation which fits into AoS and the Inhumans film.

Especially makes sense if Strucker catches wind of Whitehall's work with the diviner, and puts two and two together

Today's Axis #7 reveals that Magneto is not the father of Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. This opens the door in the comics for a total rewrite of the origin of the twins.

I love how Marvel is totally comfortable rewriting their own history in order to better serve the MCU. And I'm actually only being half sarcastic when I say that. Maybe not even sarcastic at all...

:dry:

I love how Marvel is totally comfortable rewriting their own history in order to better serve the MCU. And I'm actually only being half sarcastic when I say that. Maybe not even sarcastic at all...

:dry:

Marvel has been totally comfortable rewriting their own history in order to better serve their own universe. This isn't anything new. Afterall, we are talking about a retcon of a retcon.

This is mind-bogglingly dumb. I defended Marvel against charges that they were trying to synch everything up with the films. I was fine with them bringing in certain elements from the movies into the comics. But this is so freaking blatant that it's astounding. There's no way on God's green Earth that Marvel can argue that this isn't ENTIRELY about the films. There is literally NO other reason to do this beyond "we don't have the movie rights to Magneto and the word Mutant." And here's the thing, the movie universe and the comic universe are NOT the same. They're set up very differently, how things play out is very different, even some of the characters are very different, etc. Trying to crowbar things to make them line up is not just creatively lazy, it flat-out DOESN'T WORK because they're not the same thing.

DC and Marvel both retcon ish every other year.....even before MCU and DCU

This is mind-bogglingly dumb. I defended Marvel against charges that they were trying to synch everything up with the films. I was fine with them bringing in certain elements from the movies into the comics. But this is so freaking blatant that it's astounding. There's no way on God's green Earth that Marvel can argue that this isn't ENTIRELY about the films. There is literally NO other reason to do this beyond "we don't have the movie rights to Magneto and the word Mutant." And here's the thing, the movie universe and the comic universe are NOT the same. They're set up very differently, how things play out is very different, even some of the characters are very different, etc. Trying to crowbar things to make them line up is not just creatively lazy, it flat-out DOESN'T WORK because they're not the same thing.

Except they hope movie fans become comic fans, especially kids and so it makes it easier for them to understand. It is the opposite of mind-boggingly dumb in fact, it makes perfect business sense.

What would happen if the comics said all mutants are just Inhumans ? Would that give Marvel the rights to characters in any way? Or are there rules preventing certain characters regardless and none of that matters?

What would happen if the comics said all mutants are just Inhumans ? Would that give Marvel the rights to characters in any way? Or are there rules preventing certain characters regardless and none of that matters?

Nope.

Idk, I feel like SW and QS' powers are related to the scepter. Is it possible that they were able to replicate the terrigenesis process with the mind gem? Or maybe the scepter is completely unrelated and they just have possession of terrigen crystals

Last edited:
Marvel wouldn't have had to resort to this if Fox just gave up the X-Men to Marvel :(

Thing about this to ME is, is it for REAL or did Wanda alter reality again and Change that fact?

But FOX are doing a great job with X-Men. Marvel are the ones who didn't put a return clause in the contract. It's them who are being childish and throwing the toys out of the pram now

I'm always a little baffled as to why people continue to frame Fox as the villains in this. It's business. Marvel signed off the mutants and X-Men to them and yeah it sucks that they didn't have the foresight to see they might need them back (honestly nobody could have predicted the mcu) but it's a little obnoxious to act like Fox has some obligation go get down on their knees and submissively surrender the X-Men when technically they've done nothing illegal or even morally shady.

Marvel gave them the characters. They're continuing to use them.

Yes, Fox owns the license and they're well within their rights to continue to use it.

Likewise, what Marvel is doing is just business. They have no obligation to create new X-men characters they can't use in films but their competition can or create and sell toys that will promote films that aren't their own that they get 50% instead of 100% profits from selling. Yet, it's called spiteful or childish.

If Fox wants wants new characters (not sure why they would they have dozens they don't use) or toy lines then let them negotiate new deals with Marvel. They aren't owed anything beyond what's in the original licensing agreement.

If Marvel wants to retcon a past for characters that's been retconned before so is hardly sacred then I don't see what the issue is. The characters wholly belong to them and are only licensed to Fox for film use. That they want to make SW and QS in comics more in line with how they're using them in the movies makes sense. If only so they don't have to to answer the "Why isn't Magneto their father and showing up on screen in their movie" questions anymore. :oldrazz:

If only so they don't have to to answer the "Why isn't Magneto their father and showing up on screen in their movie" questions anymore. :oldrazz:

I don't see how this helps at all. Most people don't read the comics so if they have questions about why Quicksilver isn't Magneto's son its going to be because it was a large plot point in stuff like X-Men Evolution. Making the twins Inhumans in the comics solves nothing on that front.

Well, a Joss Whedon interview might help clear up their origin:

WHEDON: Strucker’s been doing experiments, and he’s got the scepter, and he’s been using alien tech to do them. It’s kind of where I landed with that, but look for an exciting retcon in Avengers 6!

Obviously, they always reserve the right to change their mind, but this fits with the idea they've consistently said: That Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch are not Inhumans. Personally, I want Quicksilver to meet the Inhumans and be rejected by them (except Crystal, of course), so making them Inhumans would completely defeat that point. That being said, the explanation they seem to be going with is not the one I would have chosen.

Using the sceptre for mind control on people can in itself be considered experimenting.

Well, I don't think that really can be considered "experimenting" under any definition of the word I'm familiar with, but, either way, it was a multi-part answer, not just the scepter. More importantly, it fits with them flat out denying that Inhumans will be used to explain their origin (and the complete lack of anything contradicting that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"