Iron Man Game Announced

Who is Motive Studios? Name doesn't ring a bell...

Oh ok, she's done some good s***, looking forward to see it in action in a few years

Hopefully they nail the flight mechanics, that's one thing I feel like no game has gotten quite right yet
Anthem's flight wasn't bad, but Iron Man needs to be way more mobile, it still felt way too clunky

Exciting news...but with it still in early development, probably gonna be at least 3-4 years before release, and I'd say 2 years before we see gameplay.

Sometimes I think they should just keep these announcements to themselves until they have substantial footage to show. Rumors or leaks be damned.

Since this studio is owned by EA, they have access to the Anthem tech that was used for the flying mechs, right?

Since this studio is owned by EA, they have access to the Anthem tech that was used for the flying mechs, right?
I would have thought so, and that tech would be super useful for an Iron Man game.

They might not, if they're familiar with a different engine. And TBH from what I remember, the engine Bioware used for Anthem was half of the problem with that troubled development.

I've been dying for a Spider-Man-esque AAA game for Iron Man for years, and of course it had to be EA. Sigh. That doesn't fill me with optimism. Please prove me wrong. My favorite character needs to be done justice.

I've been dying for a Spider-Man-esque AAA game for Iron Man for years, and of course it had to be EA. Sigh. That doesn't fill me with optimism. Please prove me wrong. My favorite character needs to be done justice.

They've got the creative lead from the Guardians of the Galaxy game, which is a good start I think.

Can’t wait to see what this looks like. There was an iron man game I think on the original Xbox and it was actually quite fun for a movie tie in

Exciting news...but with it still in early development, probably gonna be at least 3-4 years before release, and I'd say 2 years before we see gameplay.

Sometimes I think they should just keep these announcements to themselves until they have substantial footage to show. Rumors or leaks be damned.
I agree, but this is also a way for studios to hire folks for the project.

They might not, if they're familiar with a different engine. And TBH from what I remember, the engine Bioware used for Anthem was half of the problem with that troubled development.

Indeed. Frostbite is apparently very disliked by developers. Don't want that bringing this game down.

Motive made their last game on Frostbite, so I am going to assume that will be the engine they use for this?

The Frostbite engine (in spite of being hard to use) does make sense for an Iron Man game, because it does make metal objects look nice and shiny and it was already used to create a game with flying mech suits. I am guessing that is why an EA studio got the gig.

But again, Anthem's flight was just okay (better than most, but still not great)
Even with the Hyper Flight mod or whatever, it feels so slow compared to how I want Iron Man to fly

I'd have flying elements contained to dogfights or other scenes that allow us to fly fast, then maybe some quicktime elements to have a cool transition to ground combat

In the middle of ground fights will be the tough part to figure out, maybe just give us thrusters to allow for big jumps and fast strafing, without full on hovering that can feel clunky

Anthem had such a good premise but gee it was dull. So many games from Japan do mechs better

The Frostbite engine (in spite of being hard to use) does make sense for an Iron Man game, because it does make metal objects look nice and shiny and it was already used to create a game with flying mech suits. I am guessing that is why an EA studio got the gig.

Yeah, but it's also notoriously difficult to use. It caused so many problems for Dragon Age and Anthem. Great for visuals for sure, but the worry would be more about flexibility with the game design itself. How many headaches will it cause with actual quest design and whatnot. I just read the Jason Schreier book on the development behind Dragon Age and the amount of time it took them just to scrap and restart with aspects of the game design, sounds like a nightmare.

But if Motive are way more experienced with Frostbite, here's hoping they won't be similarly impaired.

My understanding is, Frostbite is a decent engine, but its designed to do certain things well. And one of those things sadly *isn't* "large scale RPGs with extensive game systems and scripting".

My understanding is, Frostbite is a decent engine, but its designed to do certain things well. And one of those things sadly *isn't* "large scale RPGs with extensive game systems and scripting".

Yeah, that was my understanding too. Great for big, lush, rich looking environments, but painstakingly slow for other things.

Would be great if Black Panther and Iron Man see a move to much higher quality superhero games outside of Arkham and Insomniac. Hopeful EA finally commit to higher quality when they see how much money Spider-Man has made.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"