Iron Man Iron Man to Open Earlier?

That would be a pretty stupid move, for sure. Not evening opening in May? Not even part of the summer.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6909

Looks like we might get Iron Man a couple of days earlier on April 30th. What do you think? Good idea, bad idea? Opening a few day early guarantees a smaller opening weekend. But aren't overall box office numbers more important than how big an opening weekend a movie had?

Damn, you just beat me by 6 minutes to the news. Mods can close my thread then.

That would be a pretty stupid move, for sure. Not evening opening in May? Not even part of the summer.

They've been slowly pushing back the frontiers of what summer is for years now. Hollywood would love for the summer box office season to start at the begining of April if they could get away with it.

Might be some truth to it, I bought this France mag that had a superhero special going on, and on the back there was a big publicity for Iron Man, saying it was a April 30th release... This mag came out for February, so it might have been on shelves as early as late January.

I hope they stick to the original date because I have a feeling that if this moves up April 30th then wb will move speed racer up may 2nd and become the first movie of summer 2008.

I would be pretty pissed if that happens. :cmad:

What difference does two days make!
Release it Wednesday and they'll have more money to show for it by the following Monday...
If it is as great as its set up to be, it will continue making loads of money well into the start of summer, past the point where that joke of a movie speed racer will be forgotten and trashed by critics.

They've been slowly pushing back the frontiers of what summer is for years now. Hollywood would love for the summer box office season to start at the begining of April if they could get away with it.

I know but Iron Man isnt the way. Spidey 4 is. Iron Man might not even open over 40 million in its opening weekend now.

That would be insane they're already pushing it for May 2nd I doubt they'd change it this late in the game with all the promo posters and stand ups and stuff listing May 2nd.

They have to be considering two factors as to why they would release it earlier, (1) it's getting great buzz from the trailers, especially attached to 10,000 BC, people on other boards, have said that people seing the trailer in the theaters have been very enthusatic and (2) Speed racer, with it coming out a week later, it will effect the box office for Iron Man's second week, so get at much as you can the first week, before IM's box office drop's,IMO.

This is a very bad idea. I hope they stick with the original May 2 domestic release. There's always more buzz on a Friday, especially since schools are still in session. Opening it on a school night in April will leave half filled theatres for the entire first five day run. It just dilutes and spreads out the audience. It also assures a lower box office number when results are announced to the public on Monday. "Opening weekend..." The uninitiated will interpret the number as weakness. Iron Man is an event movie and I want to enjoy it as such. Packed auditoriums and a buzz wave it can ride for the first few weeks. Watching a movie as an event with a full crowd adds to the enjoyment. That alone can create better word of mouth. Don't get greedy and don't get stupid Marvel/Paramount. Only internal factors can stop this movie now.

Also, how can you justify ending the last trailer (which has a 99% approval and awe rating) with that May 2 date but then not release it on that date? Leave it May 2.

The awful "G" rated Speed Racer should play NO factor whatsoever in their decision.

You do realise that the summer starts in June, don't you?

Why would France get to see it before the country who made it though?!

I guess no one will take my word for it, so I'll get my girlfriend to bring down her camera and take a picture of the back cover, yet it does say April 30th.

Why would France get to see it before the country who made it though?!

Where the film was made rarely affects where it will be released first - if i remember correctly Spider-Man 1 and 3 were released in other countries first before the US.

No, this is a very bad idea. I see a high 100's gross for this right now...but if it doesnt open over 50 million, which it wont on a wednesday opening but will on a Friday, it will struggle 150 million.

I'm not 100 percent positive on this but if I heard correctly, my dad said he saw Spiderman 2 a day before it came out in the US in theatres. He was in Malaysia or Hong Kong at the time... ya so it wouldn't be that out of the stretch to see France have it open up first in theatres.

Stupid idea, I hate when they change the release dates for no reason. :down

Someone start a petition and send it to marvel and paramount. Hopefully they will decide to keep the present date.

I'm not 100 percent positive on this but if I heard correctly, my dad said he saw Spiderman 2 a day before it came out in the US in theatres. He was in Malaysia or Hong Kong at the time... ya so it wouldn't be that out of the stretch to see France have it open up first in theatres.
A lot of Marvel movies have opened a day or two before the US premiere in Europe. Iron Man has been slated for 30th April for a quite long time now here in Finland.

A lot of asian countires get two day adavanced release.

THis is a good move if it happens... you need as much time as you can get... Speed Racer will make a dent... Narnia and Jones will kill all legs this movie might have... just go for the 100 million dollar first week... the comic die hards will flock to theatres on Wed and Thurs... then they'll come back again with their friends on the weekend... and the movie will probably still do 40 million over the weekend if this gets positive reviews... who cares if it isn't May... besides everyone is studying for finals and sh:t at that time anyway...

No, this is a very bad idea. I see a high 100's gross for this right now...but if it doesnt open over 50 million, which it wont on a wednesday opening but will on a Friday, it will struggle 150 million.

Agree. In terms of the general public, hitting big early makes a bigger impact and gets more notice. All the fanboys will rush out and blow their load before the weekend. Plus, a weekday school night/work night with all this negative recession talk will not generate good enough money. The actual weekend numbers (Fri-Sun) will appear low. This appearance would be horrible in terms of hype and PR. You don't think the Narnia & Speed Racer studios would sieze on that and fan the flames of negative hype? And lets not even talk of the DC/Batman fanboys...

I'm betting we're all worried for nothing. This has to be certain foreign releases only to try and beat the pirate issue. Like DBZ2cool said,
A lot of asian countires get two day adavanced release.

It has been confirmed the date is going to stay the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"