Comics Ironman as Spidey's boss. Like it or not?

MajinShenron

Civilian
Joined
Mar 13, 2006
Messages
355
Reaction score
0
Points
11
As most of you know, Peter Parker's boss is Tony Stark. Tony built Spiderman a suit, and gives him several other things. Tony is also Spiderman's partner in The New Avengers.

Do you like this or not? Personally, I think its good that Spidey has someone to relate to, and not Jonah Jameson. When hes in trouble he knows exactly where to turn and of course, if he has any financial troubles...

So, do you like him as the boss or not? I hope Civil War doesn't end this partnership.
 
i can see pete as a stark EMPLOYEE not as a flunky which appears to be what jms is aming for
 
I actually kind of like it.
It's kinda like anakin and palpatine
 
after war machine come on a little spider for tony's bodyguarding...
kiding... i like thoese new happenness, new suits ect. but all of you know Cap.America is idol and kind of semboly of peter so in civil war peter will choose his old fella and say goodbye to tony...

i rather to tony and new suit thing but thats how will happen...
 
I think its a horrible idea. Peter has had finanical problems in the past, but he's worked through them. He doesn't need Tony to bail him out. Also, if Spidey was in trouble I would imagine he would go to Capt. America first, not Ironman.
 
It's more like Peter is Tony's B****...it's ridiculous. Go here PEter..do that Peter....wear this suit Peter....on and on. He's Tony's side kick. It's funny cause Peter has been though more and overcome more odds then Ironman could ever hope for. I have nothing against the character of Iron Man...but him being Spider-man's boss??? That doesn't make any sense to me at all.
 
So, you rather see someone who hates Spider-man's guts be Peter's boss?
 
MajinShenron said:
So, you rather see someone who hates Spider-man's guts be Peter's boss?

Well, considering that the storyline is leaning toward the idea that Stark is using Peter, is that any better?

Anyway, it isn't so much the job, as that Peter is acting like Stark's lapdog, that's the real problem.
 
Ironman is not forcing Peter to do anything. He says to him several times "its your choice, think about it if you have to". Its Peter whos doing everything he says.
 
MajinShenron said:
So, you rather see someone who hates Spider-man's guts be Peter's boss?


No. I'd rather not see anyone as Spider-Man's boss. That is to say, Peter Parker should have bosses, such as: an officer of the school board, someone from the Bugle, or a supervisor in any of a thousand regular job positions. I don't see Cap running around doing Stark's bidding, and I don't see Peter Parker among Stark Enterprises' science staff doing 8-to-5 work. As others have said, Peter is not being portrayed as Stark's employee, but rather his ward and side-kick.

Why not change the titles of the books for a few months to: "Iron Man and his Webbed Wonder!" Marvel have been know to mess around with the titles to reflect plot points in the past.

One more thing. Bosses are generally not the types of characters the protaganists are supposed to relate to. They are usually there to place additional challenges before the hero, demonstrate the strain produced by day-to-day labor to make ends meet, or create a normal environment in which the hero's alter ego can function. Either friends [like Spidey & the Torch] or crime fighting partners [like Batman & Robin] are typically created to relate to one another; Parker and Jameson were not.

The fact that you mentioned this "partnership" between this characters demonstrates that it's not really a boss/employee relationship. Spidey is not a "partnering" type character as history has shown. What's more, he has had partners before, and in any such relationship he would be on top, not the one being directed and told how to do what he's be masterful at since he was 16 years old.
 
MajinShenron said:
Ironman is not forcing Peter to do anything. He says to him several times "its your choice, think about it if you have to". Its Peter whos doing everything he says.

But he's also lying to Peter. So Peter is being manipulated. True, if written with proper characterization peter would catch on. But Peter wirtten as an idiot is merely par for the course.
 
I havent read some of the latest comics since it was sold out in my local comic book store so can you tell me where Tony lied to Peter?
 
Dragon said:
But he's also lying to Peter. So Peter is being manipulated. True, if written with proper characterization peter would catch on. But Peter wirtten as an idiot is merely par for the course.

I think Peter is catching on and he's playing himself down. People are use to the wisecracking guy in the red and blue costume. I think with Peter Parker walking around people have a "where'd that guy come from?" reaction. He's not what you expect and because of that I think Tony severely underestimates his intelligence.
 
I think that Iron Man being Peter's "Boss" is the worst idea since the "Other" and the "Iron Spidey" suit.

Peter has been played as a moron over the past few months, and it doesn't look like it'll be getting any better. He blindly accepts a suit, Peter, who never likes accepting hand-outs, takes a multi-million dollar suit that could be loaded with booby-traps, and he swears a blood oath to someone who won't tell him what he asks...

Yeah, this idea sucks...as have many of the ideas that have come through the Spider-Man books over the past however many years.
 
shinlyle said:
I think that Iron Man being Peter's "Boss" is the worst idea since the "Other" and the "Iron Spidey" suit.

Peter has been played as a moron over the past few months, and it doesn't look like it'll be getting any better. He blindly accepts a suit, Peter, who never likes accepting hand-outs, takes a multi-million dollar suit that could be loaded with booby-traps, and he swears a blood oath to someone who won't tell him what he asks...

Yeah, this idea sucks...as have many of the ideas that have come through the Spider-Man books over the past however many years.

:up: :up: :up:

Yeah, the whole Peter as Tony's lapdog is yet abother idea form the House of Bad Ideas. Its sad to read old comics where Peter is portrayed as smart and then look at a new one where he's a total dumbass.
 
I like the idea, but with so many things in the recent past, am less thrilled with the execution. I understand TS's reason to get Pete on his side (with the upcoming Civil War), but they haven't given much in the way of why Pete would be so deferential to him. I have to admit, I hate Pete calling him boss. In my fifteen+ years in the working world, I have never called any of my bosses "boss."

If they're going to continue this association (which I doubt they will after CW, so everyone calm down, it's probably temporary anyways, same with the costume) I think it needs to extend beyond Amazing. That's what makes it seem so one-way. Pete is this super-special assistant to TS, so much so that he's taken to Washington with him to testify in front of a congressional committee. But no mention of him in Iron Man. He should be the equivalent of a Happy Hogan, or Mrs. Arbogast. (Of course, when your title only comes out every 5 months, there's not much room ofr a supporting cast.)

In the end, I wish JMS would revert back to his original idea of letting Pete be a teacher. I think that has so much more story potential, supporting cast potential, and gives Pete a job that utilizes both his scientific training, and his sense of responsibility.
 
MajinShenron said:
I havent read some of the latest comics since it was sold out in my local comic book store so can you tell me where Tony lied to Peter?

he lies to peter in ASM #531.
 
It'd be hard for me to find anything in Amazing Spider-man after Sins Past that I do think is a good idea so no, no I dont like it.
 
I-H-A-T-E-I-T "I Hate it!!" gosh I felt like a cheerleader for a moment there...
I kinda agree with Happenstance...
 
MajinShenron said:
I havent read some of the latest comics since it was sold out in my local comic book store so can you tell me where Tony lied to Peter?


Well, for one thing in the latest issue it's revealed that Stark hired Titanium Man. Peter, seeing the neat coincidence of the attack asks Stark if he was behind it- or at least if he'd tell Peter if he'd arranged for such a thing, and Stark says yes. But he doesn't.
 
iloveclones said:
I like the idea, but with so many things in the recent past, am less thrilled with the execution. I understand TS's reason to get Pete on his side (with the upcoming Civil War), but they haven't given much in the way of why Pete would be so deferential to him. I have to admit, I hate Pete calling him boss. In my fifteen+ years in the working world, I have never called any of my bosses "boss."

If they're going to continue this association (which I doubt they will after CW, so everyone calm down, it's probably temporary anyways, same with the costume) I think it needs to extend beyond Amazing. That's what makes it seem so one-way. Pete is this super-special assistant to TS, so much so that he's taken to Washington with him to testify in front of a congressional committee. But no mention of him in Iron Man. He should be the equivalent of a Happy Hogan, or Mrs. Arbogast. (Of course, when your title only comes out every 5 months, there's not much room ofr a supporting cast.)

In the end, I wish JMS would revert back to his original idea of letting Pete be a teacher. I think that has so much more story potential, supporting cast potential, and gives Pete a job that utilizes both his scientific training, and his sense of responsibility.

It has extended past Amazing, since he's wearing his chastity suit in all the other titles. But apparently Marvel doesn't want it to be as thoough Stark & Peter are co-stars, so they limit Stark to Amazing. Afterall, Spidey isn't appearing in Ironman either (I guess).

And yes- you nailed it- it's about the execution. That's what we're upset about. Not merely that Peter is working for Stark- but that he's Stark's peyon, when he's Stark's equal. He's playing Dick Grayson to Stark's Bruce Wayne.

But I will say that there's another problem with Peter working for him. That being, that at it's core, Spidey is a streetwise type book. Peter doesn't fit into and shouldn't be forced into Stark's glamourous, shiny world. Ironman doesn't spend his nights slugging it out with thugs in alleyways. The union between these two is creepy because they're an oil & water mix.
 
Symbiotica said:
.... but is all this worse than that Queen arc in Spectacular last year? It's bad, but how bad is it? Which shade of "bad" are we going to color this? :)

[kind of a fun train of speculation, in a stomach-turning sort of way... sorry, couldn't resist.]

It's equally bad, but in a different way. It's not as creepy or pointless as the Queen storyline. But it's as wrong for Peter as a character, and has potentially farther-reaching implications. It seems that JMS and Joe Q are planning these events exponentially- one opens the door to the next.
 
I don't. It's just another example of how lately Spider-Man is being written unfaithfully.
 
The fact that spidey is part of the avengers in the 1st place let alone working for Stark doesn's realy sit right with me at all. It goes against the core aesthetic of how spidey operates as a hero. Sure, its cool to have allies and affiliations but to actually be part of a long term ensemble is something spidey shouldn't be doing imo. It makes it all that much sweeter for if nd when spidey really needs help and the big guns of marvel show up to help, as opposed to the big guns showing up as a normality soley because spidey is a card carrying team member.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"