Is anyone else sick of "reality" in super hero movies?

For me it depends on what superhero they are portraying. I do like the concept of 'realism' in a superhero movie. I also don't mind the little over the top fantasy in these films. I just want consistancy in the film if they gonna make an over the top sci-fi film then do it,but don't do a 180 and try to rationalize their powers...
Its a different audience goin from comics to big screen. As they are trying to appeal to a broader audience. Most of the public aren't into that comic book over done type movie. They want a serious,believeable type action movie.
Batman begins was a great of example of a 'realistic' superhero. They explained all his gadgets,he wasn't superhuman,but a mere mortal. SO, I think ppl expect it to follow a more realistic path. Superman,we all know he can fly,heat vision,etc. so the general public would accept a little unrealism inthe movies.
I think part of it is what the general population knows of the superhero..I would think most know who spiderman/superman/hulk/batman were before they made a movie about them. As these guys are probably the most well known heroes. So, the audience knows what their backround/powers are..When they make movies they are targeting not just the comic book fans but ppl who've heard of these guys but never read or know anything about them..So, they add realism to make it more appealing to the general audiance..
The original batman movie was good, but I think when they make a movie too much like the comic book(see batman w/ivy/freeze/robin etc),they got soo silly. I think most ppl rather see a serious Comic movie than some over-the-top half-ass,trying to be cartoonish one..The Phantom anyone,lol that pure ****(sorry billy zane,movie sucked).

I already gave my two cents, and no one cared, so, i´m going to give 2 more...and expect a refund :mad: :p

There is no such thing as "reality" in a comic book movie, and no one ever tried to make that, so, i can´t really understand all this thread.
The simple fact that you are making a "Superhero" movie, makes it totally unrealistic...at least, in this planet....

So, you guys must mean seriousness, so, you are sick of a comic book movie trying to be serious and adult, is that it?
To try and bound superheroes in a "What if superhero really existed?" kind of deal, i´m i getting closer?
If that is the case, i do agree, to some degree, that some movies try to hard not be "extremely over the top" with the powers and whatnot, but you guys have to realize that some things doesn´t translate well in live action, not because they are very unrealistic, but because they are stupid and outdated, even by comic book standards.
Many thing were made in the 60´s....

Second, and about the all seriousness and deepth and whatever, and this might sound a bit offensive, but, my question to anyone that goes against it...do you guys even read comics, do you guys even know the characters, or you just look at the pretty pictures and go :eek:, like morons on a bad day?
Comic books are serious, comic book are deep, anyone that doesn´t realize it, doesn´t even know what they are talking about.
If you put yourself into the characters shoes and think about that for a minute, you realize that all are serious...even the Fantastic Four.

You have to realize that the books are called Spider-Man, Superman, Batman...not, the Adventures of...
That alone means that they are very personal stories about the people behind the masks, good or bad, not about their exploits, powers and fights.

I just recently purchased and watched the JLU season 1 DVD, and I now feel more than ever that "reality" is really unimportant to making a good superhero narrative.

Last I checked, JLU was animated, which remains a matter of what you can draw.

I agree.Its like the suits sit down and say,''OoOoOohh,this will make a good comic film,'BUT' we need to leave out the flying,the superstrength,and oh yes, the Supervillian.no one will believe that stuff anyway,so we MUST make it realistic as possible.who cares if the comics have been around forever.What??the fans??screw the fans,realism only for us...what?''Spidey 1 made how much???ahhh,it was just a fluke...hmmm?..what??..spidey 2 made alot as well??LOOK,WE DONT CARE!!,we will make it realistic only,and if the fans dont like it,they can wait 20 yrs till the reboot...(grumble grumble)just who do those fans think they are anyway,we are ubber important,we control this studio,and its not like they buy our product and support the charcter...what?..they do??..well,screw em' anyway...we'll call it art.
GL1 said:
I'm sick of reality as an excuse, we ALL want some reality in our comic books, one of the reasons why Spider-Man is more popular than Superman... and while I appreciate things like the Ultimate Universe, a lot of Hollywood is under the impression that we need hard science to tell a good story, and that's simply not true.

sometimes, when i feel like it..

K.B. said:
Exactly.
I think BB is the worst with using "reality" in a super hero movie. Honestly I am surprised we are getting the Joker and possibly Two Face out of Nolan who has said he didn't want to use any of the villains who were "non realistic".
Which, why bother making a comic book movie, especially a Batman one?

umm... How are the Joker and twoface unrealistic characters????? :huh:

Let me tell you who an unrealistic character in the batman comics is. Ra's al Ghul. What they did in Batman Begins totally transformed that character to make him as real as you and me.

Please explain yourself

I just think that they need to be unafraid to take chances,like rami and sony..

Well first off these are COMIC BOOK characters so right away they are not realistic lol.
And a guy whose face is deformed into that of a clowns is more "real" to you than a leader of a terrorist organization?
You can come out of your moms basement..it's ok ...we have sun light out here.

well,i hope for the S.R. sequel they bring in more of a fantasy element...

GreenKToo said:
I agree.Its like the suits sit down and say,''OoOoOohh,this will make a good comic film,'BUT' we need to leave out the flying,the superstrength,and oh yes, the Supervillian.no one will believe that stuff anyway,so we MUST make it realistic as possible.who cares if the comics have been around forever.What??the fans??screw the fans,realism only for us...what?''Spidey 1 made how much???ahhh,it was just a fluke...hmmm?..what??..spidey 2 made alot as well??LOOK,WE DONT CARE!!,we will make it realistic only,and if the fans dont like it,they can wait 20 yrs till the reboot...(grumble grumble)just who do those fans think they are anyway,we are ubber important,we control this studio,and its not like they buy our product and support the charcter...what?..they do??..well,screw em' anyway...we'll call it art.

More or less how I see it.

muertevilla said:
i'd still prefer to see the suit without the cape but ehh it wouldnt work for the fans.

So, not a fan of the Batman, huh? Just looking for an action hero? Bless your soul.

Those pesky fans. I wish they'd never had the audacity to get involved with these characters and make this superhero property profitable enough to warrant a cartoon, much less a movie franchise. Fans ruin everything.

:wolverine

Every director says the same thing, "I want to show what it would be like if this hero was actually living in our reality, in our world today...so I have to remove those fantasic aspects." It's not always verbatim, but that is the mindset.

chosen1 said:
umm... How are the Joker and twoface unrealistic characters????? :huh:

Let me tell you who an unrealistic character in the batman comics is. Ra's al Ghul. What they did in Batman Begins totally transformed that character to make him as real as you and me.

Please explain yourself
Until a real live person experiences a chemical accident which has the same effect as the Joker's, he will remain an unrealistic character. Plus which, could you really carry a corrosive acid in a squirt flower? A joy buzzer that burns th evictim to a crisp but leaves the wearer unharmed? A functional pistol w/a telescopic barrel, that ejects a flag wehn the last shot is fired? There are planty of elemnts in the Joker's bag of tricks which require suspension of disbelief. Two-Face is at least comparatively plausible, although to have the scarring so evenly distributed on one side of the face while leaving the other side untouched is a bit of a stretch.

GreenKToo said:
I just think that they need to be unafraid to take chances,like rami and sony..
That's debatable; for every person who thinks Raimi pushed the envelope & delivered a faithful comic book movie, completely unashamed of its roots, there's one who'll argue that he either just bastardized the character (If I read one more freakin' "Man-Spider" post...) or played it just as safe as Singer (& Nolan?) allegedly did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"