First Avenger Is Captain America like Batman when it comes to killing?

And in the comic, Cap HAS stated he could a mile in a little over a minute if he had to.

Indeed, giving him a speed of 100kmph sustained for an entire minute. Now if anyone thinks that a human at peak physical fitness could acomplish that, then... :doh:

And in the comic, Cap HAS stated he could a mile in a little over a minute if he had to.

even if he did it in 90 seconds... that would work out to a 5.59 second 100 meter dash... that would seem super human (that seems too fast to me) I see Cap being able to do the 100 yard dash in about 7 seconds.... 5.59 is ludicrous!!! :wow:

Now back to killing Nazis people!!!

(they're not going to kill themselves)

Now back to killing Nazis people!!!

(they're not going to kill themselves)

:doh: Soldiers. Cap will (or will not) be killing soldiers. The discussion is war zone based. There are different rules for the situations in which he might detain Nazis.

To clarify: "Artikel 130. Die Beamten sind Diener der Gesamtheit, nicht einer Partei. ..." "Article 130. The Beamten are servants of the community, not of a party."

Last edited:
I think its interesting that some people bring up Superman and Batman as having a never kill philosophy... but I hear Batman tried to kill Darksied (didn't read it) and I know that Superman executed Zod, Non and Ursa in Superman #22. Superman pronounced judgment on Zod and his companions for the wanton death and destruction of the 5 billion lives from that earth (from a pocket universe). Superman executed them by exposing them to Green Kryptonite. These acts take place in Canon and yet people seem to gloss over these and hold to the ideal that Superman and Batman will not kill.

(just stoking the flame) :D

even if he did it in 90 seconds... that would work out to a 5.59 second 100 meter dash... that would seem super human (that seems too fast to me) I see Cap being able to do the 100 yard dash in about 7 seconds.... 5.59 is ludicrous!!! :wow:

ludicrously awesome! :) hey. I'm just quoting cap on that one. (I'll assume that may be his upper limit, if not ceiling on speed) I wouldn't mind if this was used in the movie. Now he'll be "killin' Nazis" at a faster, head spinning rate! :awesome:

That quote just proves that not all comic book writers REALLY think about what they put on the page before they submit their scripts... and obviously not all editors read their ***** because that is crazy speed!!! Just think... that was printed...so it must be true... its CANON and therefore must be true ;) It's crap like that quote that seep into the comics and give nerds an opportunity to win Noprizes (if anyone remembers those)

ludicrously awesome! :) hey. I'm just quoting cap on that one. (I'll assume that may be his upper limit, if not ceiling on speed) I wouldn't mind if this was used in the movie. Now he'll be "killin' Nazis" at a faster, head spinning rate! :awesome:

He wouldn't need a gun to kill Nazis at that speed... a gun would just slow him down!! :awesome:

I think its interesting that some people bring up Superman and Batman as having a never kill philosophy... but I hear Batman tried to kill Darksied (didn't read it) and I know that Superman executed Zod, Non and Ursa in Superman #22. Superman pronounced judgment on Zod and his companions for the wanton death and destruction of the 5 billion lives from that earth (from a pocket universe). Superman executed them by exposing them to Green Kryptonite. These acts take place in Canon and yet people seem to gloss over these and hold to the ideal that Superman and Batman will not kill.

oh, you! I can't profess to know a whole lot of the current cannon when it comes to Supes or Bats, but yes, bats did try and kill the big "D". And are we talking about current supes? Or old school supes? I am horrificly out of touch with what's been going on.(pre crisis, post crisis, infinite crisis, final crisis etc.)

This was post crisis... say about 1987 or 88 would be my guess. John Byrne's run on Superman (when he revamped him post crisis)

I use the 'no prize' process to make movies and books with glaring plot holes bearable! And canon is just the way (however broken) I use to structure my fiction. I remember when Wolvie grew back from a skeleton from a Nitro blast in a matter of panels. Ooh I called shinanigans! But I took it. Of course, Marvel's writers went back and thru some ridiculous writing that made my head hurt, dialed back his healing factor again....uggh. Another episode of cannon gone bad is the Spider Clone Saga, and the undoing of marriage and unmasking. (I still have scars from the Clone thing). Comics (and their canon) are like an abusive spouse I keep going back to. I know she loves me....*sniffle*

This was post crisis... say about 1987 or 88 would be my guess. John Byrne's run on Superman (when he revamped him post crisis)

Ah. I thought Byrne's run got thrown out of continuity. Or certain things got changed around...ah, Who can tell anymore with DCs continuity?

I was just trying to show that even in the realms of a comic, those estimates would be way off.

As for the 10% thing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%_of_brain_myth
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=people-only-use-10-percent-of-brain

I used the word idiotic because the idea that humans would evolve a brain (an incredibly costly organ) with capabilities far beyond what it is needed for is, to anyone who understands how evolution works, laughable. No offence was meant, and I wasn't calling you idiotic. It is very normal not to check myths which are very commonly perpetuated. But if at all looked into, it is a very transparant and silly myth.

Thanks Shivsguy616 for the links. I read through most of it, and I guess I don't feel too bad as Einstein himself thought the 10% myth was true. :yay:

I did read one thing though in particular that still caught my attention, and still could fall in the realm of being used to increase the idea of what human perfection can be. It said that while the entire brain would be used over a 24 hour period that there would still be periods in the day where only 10% of the brain would be used at that particular moment. It also said that the entire brain is never used at one time. So, with those two things said couldn't an individual with a perfect brain mean that they would have 100% of their brain functioning all of the time? Instead of just 10% here 50% there and so on and so forth. So, once again if you apply that same idea to Caps physical makeup. Perhaps he can use 100% of his muscles all of the time to add to his physical strength and speed. I do realize that different muscles are used for different things, but still they are all connected to one's body and perhaps they support one another. Granted I'm reaching a little, but still just something to think about. Also, as I mentioned before Tim Roth's character after taking the serum seemed quicker then even the quickest of athletes in The Incredible Hulk, and I have heard others say that he is not suppose to be as quick or agile as Cap. So, how do we explain this, or is it just me that thought that Tim Roth seemed quicker then even an olympic athlete? Just saying.

Surfer

Remember folks were talking comicbook fiction, so whats the big deal. Remember a thing called suspension of disbelief? This over analysis is getting ridiculous.

Indeed, giving him a speed of 100kmph sustained for an entire minute. Now if anyone thinks that a human at peak physical fitness could acomplish that, then... :doh:

That would make him as fast as a Cheetah, and those things have evolved over millions of years to be that fast. Even so, they can only keep it up for short bursts. Way I've looked at it is Cap can sustain a sprint for a mile (his muscles do not 'fatigue' like regular folk) so the math for that would be about 2 minutes to run a mile at best (assuming he can sprint 100m in under 9 seconds)

marcvader is right though. Over analysing supposed feats with comic book characters is a bit pointless: You can pick holes in pretty much anything.

Thanks Shivsguy616 for the links. I read through most of it, and I guess I don't feel too bad as Einstein himself thought the 10% myth was true. :yay:

I did read one thing though in particular that still caught my attention, and still could fall in the realm of being used to increase the idea of what human perfection can be. It said that while the entire brain would be used over a 24 hour period that there would still be periods in the day where only 10% of the brain would be used at that particular moment. It also said that the entire brain is never used at one time. So, with those two things said couldn't an individual with a perfect brain mean that they would have 100% of their brain functioning all of the time? Instead of just 10% here 50% there and so on and so forth. So, once again if you apply that same idea to Caps physical makeup. Perhaps he can use 100% of his muscles all of the time to add to his physical strength and speed. I do realize that different muscles are used for different things, but still they are all connected to one's body and perhaps they support one another. Granted I'm reaching a little, but still just something to think about. Also, as I mentioned before Tim Roth's character after taking the serum seemed quicker then even the quickest of athletes in The Incredible Hulk, and I have heard others say that he is not suppose to be as quick or agile as Cap. So, how do we explain this, or is it just me that thought that Tim Roth seemed quicker then even an olympic athlete? Just saying.

Surfer

100% of the brain functioning all the time would involve a person constantly reminiscing, while constantly talking, while moving every muscle he could consciously move, while constantly focusing his eyes, etc. ... not the kind of result you'd like i'd assume. :)

100% of the brain functioning all the time would involve a person constantly reminiscing, while constantly talking, while moving every muscle he could consciously move, while constantly focusing his eyes, etc. ... not the kind of result you'd like i'd assume. :)

I get what you mean, but I was thinking more in terms of if his entire mind was always operational then he would not have to switch focus like everyone else does. If he could have everything working simultaneously it would ultimately add to his reaction time, because he would already be reacting when someone else is busy switching their train of thought. Also, nobody seems to comment on Tim Roth taking the serum and what it seemed to do for him. I mean is it just me or does he seem to be moving quicker then an Olympic Athlete in the Incredible Hulk? If so how much quicker does everyone think? Also if he is moving quicker then an Olympic Athlete wouldn't it seem strange to see Captain America moving slower then Blonsky in the Captain America Movie?

I apologize for taking this off topic again, but I really want to get a few peoples thoughts on those last 3 questions and then I will leave it alone.:yay:

Thanks!

Surfer

Blonsky took a bastardized version of the formula (without the vita rays) and that made the difference. The 50s Cap took the SSS without the vita-rays and while it made him stronger and faster... it made him unstable too.

I think Cap would be faster than Blonsky on account of having the whole serum.

However, I wouldn't mind if we don't see Cap running at high speed.

That effect for Blonsky was the damned cheesiest piece o crap in that whole movie.

It did look pretty bad. Like Clark running next to the train in Superman the Motion Picture.

I think Cap would be faster than Blonsky on account of having the whole serum.

However, I wouldn't mind if we don't see Cap running at high speed.

That effect for Blonsky was the damned cheesiest piece o crap in that whole movie.

there was a pretty cool running effect in The Wolfman, where they filmed a stuntman live running on a tarp that was being pulled by a truck. so when filmed from far away it looked like he was hitting 60 mph and it looks totally natural.

Sounds like what they did in Twilight for the three baddies.

Not to mention movie Batman. There is a walking contridction right after he says he wont kill a murderer he sets off an explosion that destroys the whole buildin and I didnt see many guys walking around with Bruce outside. To me thats how I see Cap being he isnt outright trying to murder people but hes gonna do what hes got to do to get the job done. And if that means hes gotta toss a grenade or fire a gun then so be it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"