First Avenger Should they drop "First Avenger" from the title?

Yes.

Or alternatively, as mentioned, change the title-subtitle around.

Maybe Captain America is gonna have bits and pieces of Ironman, Thor, Hulk squeezed in... so the word "Avenger" will give the idea of the whole team coming together...
but personally i would drop "The 1st avenger"... its like Aliens vs Predator REQUIM??? totally redundant

The First Avenger sounds so..tacky.

They need to come up with a new title. Why not call it "Captain America"? Who cares if other countries won't 'get it' because no matter what you do, it's about a dude named..Captain America.

The First Avenger sounds so..tacky.

They need to come up with a new title. Why not call it "Captain America"? Who cares if other countries won't 'get it' because no matter what you do, it's about a dude named..Captain America.

Not to mention the fact that, if they don't get it, The First Avenger isn't going to help. What does that title even mean to the average person?

Not to mention the fact that, if they don't get it, The First Avenger isn't going to help. What does that title even mean to the average person?

Exactly. For someone unfamiliar with the Marvel mythos, the term "First Avenger" is going to be meaningless. If they are afraid of the international market, then they can use the whole "First Avenger" thingie, but at least in the US market they should drop it, because no-one is going to call it "First Avenger: Captain America." It's going to be Captain America's movie, so unless they're planning on doing an X-Men Origins on us where ever other freakin' character from the Marvel Universe gets a 5 minute cameo, he shouldn't have to share the title with the Avengers. Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk had no references to the Avengers in their titles, so I don't see why Captain America should.

Exactly. For someone unfamiliar with the Marvel mythos, the term "First Avenger" is going to be meaningless. If they are afraid of the international market, then they can use the whole "First Avenger" thingie, but at least in the US market they should drop it, because no-one is going to call it "First Avenger: Captain America." It's going to be Captain America's movie, so unless they're planning on doing an X-Men Origins on us where ever other freakin' character from the Marvel Universe gets a 5 minute cameo, he shouldn't have to share the title with the Avengers. Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk had no references to the Avengers in their titles, so I don't see why Captain America should.

Will Thor have an Avenger reference in his title? If not then it's even more pointless.

Maybe they'll name Thor, "The Godly Avenger: Thor". :hehe:

If they make a sequel, it will be called Captain America 2. Why not just do it right from the beginning?

I kinda agree and disagree on the name, its a little cluncky but it does imply that sure enough he was the first avenger.

Yeah, I had the same feeling "Captain America" overseas wouldn't do so hot - "First Avenger" then captain america is some what better

this could be great internationally, people may think its the long overdue sequel to Team America:World Police

Or you could make a bunch of international posters with Captain [Insert Country Name]
I mean screw the public... once they buy the tickets it won't matter...

Kevin Feige confirmed in the now removed press conference that "The First Avenger" title was to help overseas marketing of the film. He said they were hoping that overseas markets would only use "The First Avenger" part for advertising.

Are there really international audiences that will be more willing to see the movie because the title has an additional word with zero relevance to anything they're familiar with? It doesn't really say much for international audiences if it's true. By the time CAPTAIN AMERICA comes out, it will already be clear to audiences if they've been paying attention, a team movie is the end game for Marvel. Why insult people's intelligence?

Yea in the end it will probably just be called captain america here in the states and world wide just the first avenger. Though with obama as president now countries that dont like the us have been getting on better relations with us. So maybe it wouldnt matter by the time the film comes out in 2011.

PPl will just be calling it Captain America anyways so why put "First Avenger" in front of it

Its the whole selling point over seas and to countries still hating us i guess.

Are there really international audiences that will be more willing to see the movie because the title has an additional word with zero relevance to anything they're familiar with? It doesn't really say much for international audiences if it's true. By the time CAPTAIN AMERICA comes out, it will already be clear to audiences if they've been paying attention, a team movie is the end game for Marvel. Why insult people's intelligence?

Yeah, that's what I said. I can't imagine anyone saying, "Oh, a movie about an Avenger? I have to see that!" The word means nothing outside of comic book fandom.

Yeah, that's what I said. I can't imagine anyone saying, "Oh, a movie about an Avenger? I have to see that!" The word means nothing outside of comic book fandom.

Lol, yeah basically. There may have been some use for it when Captain America and Avengers were coming out in the same summer. Now, not so much. It's just bashing a simple concept over everybody's head, which I hope is not indicative of how the scripts will be written.

I think they should just call it Captain America. How ever "The First Avenger" would work well as a tag line. It sounds more like a tag line rather than a title or subtitle for that matter.

It makes one wonder...what he will be avenging? Has to have something he wants revenge for, or the title makes no sense.

Bucky? I doubt they would kill him off in the movie while having him alive in modern day comics.

Maybe the Invaders will have a tragically short-lived cameo. That would be cool, then Namor can come back to free cap from the ice in the Avengers.

I say they have it be 'Captain America' in the US & "The First Avenger: Captain America" everywhere else.

I hate the title. It's like they're trying to say "he was first! Now you won't forget it. See, it's right there in the title!"

How desperate are they?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"