Is it just me, or do the DC Universe heroes seem like better people than the Marvel?

The point aristotle is all Im saying killing evil, does make you any less heroic, and neither does spearing theirs lives. As long as you fight in the name of good.

The point aristotle is all Im saying killing evil, does make you any less heroic, and neither does spearing theirs lives. As long as you fight in the name of good.
"The ends justify the means" is a horrible philosophy to believe in.

Presenting, the SuperHeroHype! Here, gentle readers, you will find the living avatars of everything wrong with the world today. Completely bereft of ethics, morality, and any remote sense of right and wrong, these creatures represent not the base animal instinct of the human animal, but something altogether more gruesome: they are humanity, stripped of the only redeeming qualities a human being can ever have. And sadly, this is the direction the entire world is heading, because nobody cares about anybody else anymore, and there's no ethics, no morals, no social fabric binding people together, no community, no family, and no world worth caring for.

"The ends justify the means" is a horrible philosophy to believe in.

Then Im sorry then, because myself and many people beleive that. It doesn't bother me when hero kills the evil villian at the end, if that makes me a bad person or whatever, then so be it, and oh by the way Han solo shot first.

Presenting, the SuperHeroHype! Here, gentle readers, you will find the living avatars of everything wrong with the world today. Completely bereft of ethics, morality, and any remote sense of right and wrong, these creatures represent not the base animal instinct of the human animal, but something altogether more gruesome: they are humanity, stripped of the only redeeming qualities a human being can ever have. And sadly, this is the direction the entire world is heading, because nobody cares about anybody else anymore, and there's no ethics, no morals, no social fabric binding people together, no community, no family, and no world worth caring for.

But dude thats the point of heroes killing the bad guys, it saves lifes, they do it to save lives, they care about the innocent people. Why can't you just enjoy seeing indiana jones shoot that sword guy in Raiders?

Then Im sorry then, because myself and many people beleive that. It doesn't bother me when hero kills the evil villian at the end, if that makes me a bad person or whatever
The ends never justify the means, and it's that kind of sick thinking that has justified uncounted atrocities in history. To bring this back to comics, remember when Hal Jordan went nuts? The ends of what he was doing would have been a perfect universe. The means of what he was doing were wrong and thoroughly unjustifiable.

Eros said:
then so be it, and oh by the way Han solo shot first.
Han Solo was a drug smuggler and a thief.

But dude thats the point of heroes killing the bad guys, it saves lifes, they do it to save lives, they care about the innocent people. Why can't you just enjoy seeing indiana jones shoot that sword guy in Raiders?
I do. It's my favorite moment of the trilogy.

The ends never justify the means, and it's that kind of sick thinking that has justified uncounted atrocities in history. To bring this back to comics, remember when Hal Jordan went nuts? The ends of what he was doing would have been a perfect universe. The means of what he was doing were wrong and thoroughly unjustifiable.

Han Solo was a drug smuggler and a thief.

No different from God flooding the world for 40 days and nights, or moses unleashing plagues upon egypt, so the jews could be freed.

I have discussed those examples already, from the perspective of a person who actually studies the Jewish texts.

I have discussed those examples already, from the perspective of a person who actually studies the Jewish texts.

no matter, you can't agree with those "good":whatever: deeds, and frown upon lesser ones.

Yeah, but He's a wuss. Old Testament God would *****-slap Him with some divine wrath.

It's been a long time since God smote anybody.

...and oh by the way Han solo shot first.

han-shot-first.jpg

786363445_0885bc7595_o.jpg

no matter, you can't agree with those "good":whatever: deeds, and frown upon lesser ones.
What are you, some kind of juvenile Ayn Rand objectivist? The question is not black and white (no questions ever are.) God is an EXTREMELY complex character, possibly the most complex in fiction, and without a doubt the most human. The motivations for his actions, the remorse for them, and the struggle of an omnipotent but imperfect being are what makes those deeds harder to judge God for.

But you can go on thinking that everything's black and white, and that no evil deed is irredeemable as long as the final product looks OK to you, and that no one but you matters. Objectivism: philosophy for junior-high misanthropes.

Wow,your assuming is making an ass out of you and me.

You need to relax and stop taking your username so seriously you pretentious prick.

Well, to be fair, consequentialism is pretty established the dominant perspective in normative ethics today. You'll be arguing upstream on this one Aristotle (Although I'm with you, I do not like the current state of ethics right now).

you must then really really hate Indiana Jones,Harry Potter,Ash from evil dead,soldiers,police officers, Luke skywalker, Jedi Knights,every body in star trek,every body in dragon ball and dragonball Z, Jason Bourne, James Bond, Power Rangers,Hercules and other heroes of various Mythologies, BeoWolf,King arthur and the knights of the round table,Moses,God,John Mcclane from the Die Hard series,Conan, and the list goes on and on. All those fictional and non fictional characters I named kill villians all the time, yet in your eyes their not heroes begin they kill evil villians.:whatever:

It's entirely possible to have certain duties that entail violent acts, like those of being a soldier. In fact, if you look at what the characters are doing,, a lot of the times they are operating under a completely different framework than what you are assuming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"