Is Super-Heroism Possible?

Honestly, I don't understand why Bruce didn't just keep training with Ted Grant. The guy's not just a boxer, he's a seasoned hand to hand combatant who's held his own in hundreds of street fights over the years. And he lived right in Gotham. I mean, yeah, for advanced stealth stuff maybe Ted wasn't your guy. But then that's, like, two teachers. Not 20.

Honestly, I don't understand why Bruce didn't just keep training with Ted Grant. The guy's not just a boxer, he's a seasoned hand to hand combatant who's held his own in hundreds of street fights over the years. And he lived right in Gotham. I mean, yeah, for advanced stealth stuff maybe Ted wasn't your guy. But then that's, like, two teachers. Not 20.

Maybe because he passed away? Just a thought.

Ted's still punching the **** outta guys though.

There is plenty of good in the US. Jeet Kune Do was made here and is primarily taught here. And in a street fight I'd rather know that that just one asian martial art which would inevitably have it's weak points.

The idea of martial sports actually originated in those asian countries and is more prevalent there then here. They were bastardized there (and for good reason, the martial sport forms were made for nonlethal sparing) long before they were here.

If you read my post again, I did mention Jeet Kun Do and said that that would be the best art form to train in locally (especially if your trainer learned from Bruce and hasn't messed up the original style).

Some artforms were created primarily for competition. Muay Tai for example. But then the Americans bastardized it into American Kickboxing, which is completely different. Ninjistu and kung fu are two of the artforms that were designed purely for combat, which is why I suggested them. Karate, tae kwan do, jujitsu, etc, all might be okay in a one on one conflict with someone untrained. But in a group situation (which Batman style vigilantes would often find themselves in) or when fighting someone who has trained in a superior style (like ninjitsu or jeet kun do), you'd be pretty hooped.

But that's just my opinion.

What was the author's opinion of it?

Because there are actually quite a few dedicated schools which deal with single to multi-person combat in America. Especially in more modern times.

If you were to ask me, the author seems to believe in some form of mystical superiority Asians apparently have in terms of combat. The western world has had it's own forms of combat for centuries, which are more compatible with their body structures.

If you read my post again, I did mention Jeet Kun Do and said that that would be the best art form to train in locally (especially if your trainer learned from Bruce and hasn't messed up the original style).

Some artforms were created primarily for competition. Muay Tai for example. But then the Americans bastardized it into American Kickboxing, which is completely different. Ninjistu and kung fu are two of the artforms that were designed purely for combat, which is why I suggested them. Karate, tae kwan do, jujitsu, etc, all might be okay in a one on one conflict with someone untrained. But in a group situation (which Batman style vigilantes would often find themselves in) or when fighting someone who has trained in a superior style (like ninjitsu or jeet kun do), you'd be pretty hooped.

But that's just my opinion.

Honestly, a Batman-style viiglante would find themselves in that many fights. You're not especially likely to run across a violent incident every night if you patrol even really nasty neighborhoods. Especially if you're a big strong guy decked out in body armor. People will avoid you if they notice you.

As for fighting forms... what MG said. Some schools are just sports. Some are practical. You're very likely to find a quality school in the U.S. As for superior styles... it's more that there are superior schools, not superior styles. Take karate, for example. Most competition oriented schools of karate are like that. But Kenpo Karate, for example, really focuses on pragmatism.

What was the author's opinion of it?

Because there are actually quite a few dedicated schools which deal with single to multi-person combat in America. Especially in more modern times.

If you were to ask me, the author seems to believe in some form of mystical superiority Asians apparently have in terms of combat. The western world has had it's own forms of combat for centuries, which are more compatible with their body structures.

I don't remember what the author's opinions were of the different martial arts styles, or even if he had a particular opinion. I haven't even read the book, just heard the interview on the radio. And a lot of what I wrote is paraphrased from memory, I could have remembered it wrong. I'm thinking of buying the book sometime soon though. It sounded like an interesting read.

And Bruce died in 1973. Unless you're one of the conspiracy theorists who thinks he faked his death?

I'm talking about Bruce Wayne, as in Batman. Not Bruce Lee. Ted Grant is Wildcat, another DC super hero who's a master hand to hand combatant and trained boxer who was one of Bruce's first teachers.

I'm talking about Bruce Wayne, as in Batman. Not Bruce Lee. Ted Grant is Wildcat, another DC super hero who's a master hand to hand combatant and trained boxer who was one of Bruce's first teachers.

My mistake. I'd only ever read about Wildcat once, and that was after I'd written my post (it was the issue where he meets his son). So I was unaware that "Ted Grant" was a fictional Character. And you made that post in the middle of a discussion on Jeet Kun Do, so I assumed you were talking about Bruce Lee not Bruce Wayne. You need to be more specific at times like that.

I've just found a very interestling book in the library called The Science Of Superman, in which the author breaks down Superman's superhuman abilities and explains them in real scientific terms. What's more, he claims that our own scientific capabilities will grow to the point of human beings actually being able to develope Superman-like powers within the next hundred years or so. I only had a chance to skim through it (I was waiting to use the computer at the time), but I thought that was pretty interesting. So maybe we really can have superpowered superheroes running around one day.

My mistake. I'd only ever read about Wildcat once, and that was after I'd written my post (it was the issue where he meets his son). So I was unaware that "Ted Grant" was a fictional Character. And you made that post in the middle of a discussion on Jeet Kun Do, so I assumed you were talking about Bruce Lee not Bruce Wayne. You need to be more specific at times like that.

But... he mentioned Gotham City... :huh:

for me the definition of a superhero, is a character from a comic book, at least fro now, in the future, like Thundatt said, if we have super powered humans, then its a matter of them sticking up for the little guy that will make super heroes.

who said I'm not a superhero? I could go out everynight roaming the streets putting a end to crime.

anyway, I think it all depends on what you think a super hero is. there are all kinds of thinks possible that we don't know about anything can happen. as long as someone needs saving there will be a hero out there trying to save them. now will they have some kind of superpowers like we see in the comic book? maybe not but there are tons of stories of real superhuman events and people out there set on defending the good from the evil. yes I think there could be real super heros just maybe not as smooth and exciting as the comic books make it.

i like you raven, and yes, ur right, there wil alwasy be good doers, as long as there are evil doers.
but comics glorify the job" of being a hero, there always the right place at the right time to stop the crime, have they ever adressed that say, spidey, cant catch every criminal while theyre active when hes on patrol? or eve batman for that matter! finding the crime si the maybe the hardest part, that and not dying/being arrested for vigilantism, but anyhting is POSSIBLE, its the PLAUSIBLE you have to talk about here

your right, even the comic book heros realisticlly can't stop every crime from going on just like real life. Heros are out there just not seen in such a glorified light.

I've just found a very interestling book in the library called The Science Of Superman, in which the author breaks down Superman's superhuman abilities and explains them in real scientific terms. What's more, he claims that our own scientific capabilities will grow to the point of human beings actually being able to develope Superman-like powers within the next hundred years or so. I only had a chance to skim through it (I was waiting to use the computer at the time), but I thought that was pretty interesting. So maybe we really can have superpowered superheroes running around one day.

I've read it. It's pretty interesting. The author does handwave a few of Superman's powers with scientific stuff that is possible in theory but is highly unlikely. But basically good.

What I've been learning, since getting into martial arts, is how capable the human body is at causing death and destruction all by itself. It really wouldn't take much more force or power than we're already capable of to turn into something ridiculously dangerous.

I've read it. It's pretty interesting. The author does handwave a few of Superman's powers with scientific stuff that is possible in theory but is highly unlikely. But basically good.

What I've been learning, since getting into martial arts, is how capable the human body is at causing death and destruction all by itself. It really wouldn't take much more force or power than we're already capable of to turn into something ridiculously dangerous.

That's true. Could you imagine a masked vigilante that knows how to do the Dim Mak running around?

the human body is only put in secodn place by the atomic bomb in mankinds tools of death, a bomb takes on shot to cuase mass destruction, the human body is mobile, without ammunition limit, and can perform amzing feets, look at bruce lee, if someoen with bruces abilities, training etc took to the street, people would be dead and buried, theyd also be pummled, and broken, mankinds greatest weapon is ourselves....

and the Abomb

I would be a real life super hero, but then there would be all that training, and guns, and what if some wacko decided to come after me. ( Other than the police.) What would we do to the villain? He did nothing wrong! He beat up a guy in an out fit. the judge at court would just laugh at THAT.

I would be a real life super hero, but then there would be all that training, and guns, and what if some wacko decided to come after me. ( Other than the police.) What would we do to the villain? He did nothing wrong! He beat up a guy in an out fit. the judge at court would just laugh at THAT.

thats why u mangle him if u cant restrain him, besides, beaitng the crap out of a guy in a costume is still assault

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"