Is The Incredible Hulk canon in the MCU?

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone from Marvel ever commented on this.

The post credits scene in The Incredible Hulk showed Tony Stark talking to the army general, paving the way for The Avengers. But shortly after that movie was released, Edward Norton was recast with Mark Ruffalo, and there's been no standalone Hulk movie.

There hasn't been any reference to the Incredible Hulk in the world of the MCU either. The army general that chased after Bruce, and Bruce's girlfriend have not appeared in any of the MCU films, and then there was that loose plot thread in the film where the College Professor mutated, hinting he could become a villain in the future.

The Abomination was kept alive at the end of the movie but has also never appeared in an MCU film.

So is TIH still canon? I loved that movie and it would be nice to see characters from that movie make a cameo in a future MCU film.

It is 100% Canon. It is referenced in the Avengers by Banner, and you're mistaken about General Ross, he has appeared in Civil War and Infinity War.

It is 100% Canon. It is referenced in the Avengers by Banner, and you're mistaken about General Ross, he has appeared in Civil War and Infinity War.

Really? That's great. I don't remember seeing Ross in Infinity War.. I haven't gotten around to seeing Civil War yet. :nrv:

He's in the scene with War Machine, right before Captain America and the gang show up at the Avengers Compound.

And do check out Civil War when you get a chance, it is really, really good.

One of the most underrated films in the MCU.. And honestly one of two to actually get the hulk right.

Reactions: CJ
How can you even ask if it's canon?

Yeah, The Incredible Hulk is 100% canon, It's events are referenced and it is a key part of the narrative from the first Avengers movie onward that the original team couldn't have come together as they did if Stark hadn't been the one sent to talk with Ross specifically to ensure that Blonsky didn't make it onto the team, and that is why Stark got chosen over Rhodes and why Banner was tracked down at the start of Avengers.

Marvel One-Shots: The Consultant is an extended version of the post-credits scene from The Incredible Hulk, featuring General Ross from that movie, Tony Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Coulson and Sitwell.
It references both the events of TIH that led to Blonsky's incarceration AND the nature of S.H.I.E.L.D's relationship with Tony Stark as developed in Iron Man 2.

TIH being canon is part of the MCU's skeleton.

Last edited:

Yeah, The Incredible Hulk is 100% canon, It's events are referenced and it is a key part of the narrative from the first Avengers movie onward that the original team couldn't have come together as they did if Stark hadn't been the one sent to talk with Ross specifically to ensure that Blonsky didn't make it onto the team, and that is why Stark got chosen over Rhodes and why Banner was tracked down at the start of Avengers.

Marvel One-Shots: The Consultant
is an extended version of the post-credits scene from The Incredible Hulk, featuring General Ross from that movie, Tony Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Coulson and Sitwell.
It references both the events of TIH that led to Blonsky's incarceration AND the nature of S.H.I.E.L.D's relationship with Tony Stark as developed in Iron Man 2.

It is THE most pivotal scene in the MCU in my book, as if it wasn't for that interaction between Ross and Stark during which Stark rubbed Ross up the wrong way and he refused to release Blonsky as a result, then Blonsky would have been on the team and Stark would have been overlooked in favour of Rhodes giving us an initial Avengers team of Captain America, Abomination (who is referred to as existing in the MCU even if you weren't taking TIH as canon), War Machine, Hawkeye and Black Widow...

Loki would have taken out Rhodes if he was there in place of Iron Man and Thor would have returned Loki to Asgard without the portal even being opened...
Iron Man 3 then plays out differently without Rhodes and we lose Stark...
Coulson wouldn't have "died" and his team wouldn't have been formed...
(Thor 2 might have played out much the same but Selvig would have been a much more stable character)

...and then we get to Captain America: The Winter Soldier and the HYDRA takeover, which Coulson's team played a big part in stopping. That team wouldn't be together and HYDRA would have the added asset of Blonsky to play with. All in all this adds up to more chance of a success for HYDRA...

...Cap's Avengers would then be on the run before the events of the second Avengers movie, Ultron would never have been created without the collaboration between Stark and Banner, the twins wouldn't have their powers without Loki's scepter and Vision wouldn't have existed so the events of that movie aren't happening, Instead we're eventually at the Cap's Avengers vs HYDRAs Avengers stage with a fugitive team of Captain America, Black Widow, Falcon, and Hawkeye (It's at this point our heroes would be wise to try and recruit Hulk and some Pym tech which would be Wasp if Lang hadn't been recruited to raid the Avengers compound under the belief it was a Stark warehouse), plus the likes of Sharon Carter, Nick Fury Maria Hill and Phil Coulson...
...taking on a HYDRA controlled team of Winter Soldier, Abomination, Brock Rumlow and others (a War Machine, Whiplash, Deathlok and Yellowjacket maybe?) and with the likes of Pierce, Strucker and others all still active.

Although I like most of the MCU movies I'm not into them in sufficient depth to be able to say yea or nay to this but it is an impressive read!

It's definitely canon, but it's obvious they don't really want to acknowledge it.

Secretay Ross doesn't mention Banner/Hulk's destruction of South Africa in AoU while proposing the accords in CW. He's been pursuing Banner for all the time and doesn't mention Hulk..? There's no mention of Betty Ross. Even by Banner in that so so relationship between himself and Black Widow.

I would very much like to see The Leader show up, as he was captured by BW during the battle in the bronx in a canon MCU comic.

Banner mentions how he "broke Harlem" (which is where he fought Abomination in TIH) when he's talking to Steve and Natalie on top of the helicarrier when he meets them for the first time.

Marvel One-Shots: The Consultant is an extended version of the post-credits scene from The Incredible Hulk, featuring General Ross from that movie, Tony Stark and S.H.I.E.L.D. Agents Coulson and Sitwell.

I haven't seen any Marvel One shots, where can I see them ?

It’s consideed canon I think but it easily can be considered non canon. Since Betty Ross or none of the events are really mentioned in any of the other movies and Ross is basically just playing a role later that could be played by anyone

It’s consideed canon I think but it easily can be considered non canon. Since Betty Ross or none of the events are really mentioned in any of the other movies and Ross is basically just playing a role later that could be played by anyone

Banner mentions how he "broke Harlem" (which is where he fought Abomination in TIH) when he's talking to Steve and Natalie on top of the helicarrier when he meets them for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"