Is The Knightfall saga good, overrated, or terrible?

Comics N' Toons

Viva La Revolucion!
Reaction score
I have recently (at least in the last couple years) seen a lot of fans claim that the Knightfall saga is really terrible, especially in relation to The Death of Superman, which is apparently a classic. Some claim Knightfall a classic, while others say it is over-written, boring, and doesn't compare to the stories that came before or after early 90's or middle to late 90's). Many people, especially on Comicvine and CBR say that it hasn't aged well and that Knightsquest and Knightsend are a slog to read.

I just recently read it in full and am not really sure what to make of it as a whole. Thoughts?

I read it when it first came out and found it gripping. I later bought the trades for the whole saga and still have them. I've seen some online who don't rate it highly now (same goes for Death of Superman, actually). I reread it a couple of years ago and still enjoyed it although maybe not quite as much. I think that's partly because my tastes have changed and these day I prefer stories with more of a psychological edge. But there's still something incredibly sad about seeing Batman getting so soundly beaten (even if there was an understandable reason for it), and that panel with Bane breaking Batman's back remains as immensely powerful an image as it ever was.

Prelude to Knightfall, The Crusade Vol 1 and 2 are the weakest of the saga, that is very much sure. Knightfall is the best by far. Prodigal, Troika, and The Search are about equal IMO. I think it is unfair to criticize the entire saga as one, because the quality differs in each chapter.

Prelude to Knightfall, The Crusade Vol 1 and 2 are the weakest of the saga, that is very much sure. Knightfall is the best by far. Prodigal, Troika, and The Search are about equal IMO. I think it is unfair to criticize the entire saga as one, because the quality differs in each chapter.
Not generally a fan of stories with Dick wearing the cowl, but I do like (and own) Prodigal.

I read it a couple of years ago, and it did not grab me the way a Batman story should do, but I liked it enough to say it's worth reading. I forgot the name of the doctor with the healing touch of that prisoner from the Green Mile, but I liked her, and I wonder if any other writer chose to write her again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"