Comics The Clone Saga: The good old days

NinjaCarm

Fantastic
Reaction score
Now that in recent events in the Spider-Man comics I think I can truly say EVEN the clone saga was fun to read!

Are there any Clone Saga fans in here? Are you all Clone Saga haters?

Are they going to make like Trade Paperbacks on the Clone Saga (yeah, I know it was A LOT of friggin comics)? Anyone know?

Anyone agree?

Loved some elements (Ben ,Kaine, the Baby) but it was dragged out for too long...
Unfortunately Marvel won't reprint them, since they're trying to bury that, and with the Joephisto retcon, the past must be ignored!!!

So everything that happened is GONE? I'm confused? Are you sure that's how it's supposed to be???

That's just PREPOSTEROUS !!!!!!!!!!

ISNT IT??

Not only was the Clone Saga not the crappy OMD... it had Ben Reilly.... :csad:

I miss it.

Care to explain?

So those fights with Venom from the McFarlane - Larson - Bagley era happened?

The death of Harry Osborn happened?

Clone Saga?

How did those events oocur - but not occur??????????????????????

Everything is "slightly tweaked" to eliminate the Spider-marriage, to have Harry alive and God... I mean Mephisto knows what else they've decided to tweak... oh yeah! Spidey UNMASKED but NO ONE REMEMBERS his secret ID...

It was ok.

Some elements I liked, and some I didnt. I had just started collecting Spidey roughly around the time Peter's parents made their surprise return, and there was some interesting twists that came and went, but overall I found the entire saga way too long and tedious to follow for any casual reader. And I really felt sorry for anyone trying to get into Spider-Man comics during the middle of this thing.
But thankfully the 90's animated series gave those of us reading at the time a taste of a more classic Spidey that wasnt being complicated by the "who's the clone?" question that seemingly went on and on.

The bad thing about The Clone Saga was that it lasted too long, so I liked some parts of it.

Care to explain?

So those fights with Venom from the McFarlane - Larson - Bagley era happened?

The death of Harry Osborn happened?

Clone Saga?

How did those events oocur - but not occur??????????????????????

Everything still happened. The only part of history that was actually changed was the wedding. Something happened on the big day, so Peter and MJ never married and only remained a boyfriend/girlfriend couple for the past 20 years (which has only been a few years Marvel time). And consequently, baby May was erased from existence. But those two--the marriage and the baby--are the only parts of Spidey's history that have been erased.

Everything still happened. The only part of history that was actually changed was the wedding. Something happened on the big day, so Peter and MJ never married and only remained a boyfriend/girlfriend couple for the past 20 years (which has only been a few years Marvel time). And consequently, baby May was erased from existence. But those two--the marriage and the baby--are the only parts of Spidey's history that have been erased.

Yeah, and if that's true... then I'm a millionaire.

Of course. Makes perfect sense now...

Oh wait. It doesn't, the whole thing is bull****. They are just saying everything happened until they want something to have not happened. The ultimate pocket retcon.

Of course. Makes perfect sense now...

Oh wait. It doesn't, the whole thing is bull****. They are just saying everything happened until they want something to have not happened. The ultimate pocket retcon.

Why are you so angry? You're a millionaire!

Why in craps name would they have him back at mechanical webshooters if The Other and his organic webshooters happened?

Wow. Marvel sees that it has to keep its greatest character alive for "new" readers so they must retcon. In twenty more years? Retcon again and screw this new readership generation in the arse too!

How is Harry Osborn alive then? How is Aunt May's house unexploded? For that matter how is Aunt May alive? You're definitely trying to look at BND in the best light possible. It's riddled with continuity problems.

Why in craps name would they have him back at mechanical webshooters if The Other and his organic webshooters happened?

My theory: making a deal with the devil inadvertently severed Peter's ties with the spider-totem.

How is Harry Osborn alive then?

Just like Norman, the Goblin serum revived him shortly after death.

JJJ's Ulcer said:
How is Aunt May's house unexploded?

It was rebuilt.

JJJ's Ulcer said:
For that matter how is Aunt May alive?

You know that was part of the deal, right? She made a miraculous turnaround courtesy of Mephisto.

There are only two parts I don't like about clone saga.
Peter back handed MJ through reflex.
Peter was temporarily a bad guy.
The Green Goblin is responsible for EVERY bad thing in Peter's life. WTF?

But that's mostly forgivable. So I am still one of the people who was okay with clone saga.

IT'S MAGIC!!! THERE IS NO NEED FOR EXPLANATIONS... THE PAST NEVER HAPPENED UNLESS MEPHISTO or his EIC Cousin Joe SAY SO!!!

IT'S MAGIC!!! THERE IS NO NEED FOR EXPLANATIONS... THE PAST NEVER HAPPENED UNLESS MEPHISTO or his EIC Cousin Joe SAY SO!!!

Meh that's pretty much how I feel about it right now.

I've given up trying to make sense of the whole situation. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever. So yes like you said, it's Magic. There is no need for explanation and Marvel isn't giving any cause they themselves seem confused as ****.

The Clone Saga would have been pure awesomeness if it wasn't for the Spider-Man fans who can't handle change.

And before you give me that cliche answer, "But we only like GOOD change, he he he".

The Clone Saga was convulted and all over the place because Spider-Man fans threw themselves on the ground like little kids whose mothers wouldn't buy them the new toy at the toystore. They got their way and it ruined, what could have been, a truly awesome story.

What's funny is that the fans, back then...are acting the same way that the fans are right now over One More Day and Brand New Day.

The difference? Joe Quesada doesn't give a damn about any of you and it's HILARIOUS! :woot:

The Clone Saga could have been an incredible storyline, that I will agree with, however I personally felt the storyline was falling apart even before the big *shocking* reveal between Ben and Parker. Seriously, was there really any need to revamp the appearances and in some cases change the characters themselves of some of Spidey's classic rogues gallery simply because the status quo had changed and Ben was back (according to the storyline) as the true Spider-Man? Answer: No. Throwing in a female Doc Ock (due to Otto being killed in the lackluster web of death story arc) was just .... odd. Mysterio's revamp actually made one miss the old fishbowl. And if the Jason Macendale Hobgoblin couldnt get any more lame, Marvel proved us wrong on that one as well. Again, switching Spidey's like what was seen in the Clone Saga would have made for a very interesting, and unique story *if* the storyline itself was executed properly, and actually stuck. Problem is, the story itself was executed in a less than satisfying way to say the very least, dragged on for WAY too long, and ultimately deserves all of it's negative press it has recieved through the years.

The Clone Saga was Marvel's attempt to dramatically update Spider-Man for the 90's and beyond, OMD/BND is actually a far more low key attempt to change the status quo yet again. And all storylines/arcs sold quite well (yes even the Clone Saga enjoyed good sales numbers from what I recall). The former obviously didnt last. And for good reason. I'm curious to see how long the latter will ..

The Clone Saga would have been pure awesomeness if it wasn't for the Spider-Man fans who can't handle change.

And before you give me that cliche answer, "But we only like GOOD change, he he he".

The Clone Saga was convulted and all over the place because Spider-Man fans threw themselves on the ground like little kids whose mothers wouldn't buy them the new toy at the toystore. They got their way and it ruined, what could have been, a truly awesome story.

What's funny is that the fans, back then...are acting the same way that the fans are right now over One More Day and Brand New Day.

The difference? Joe Quesada doesn't give a damn about any of you and it's HILARIOUS! :woot:

You're forgetting that Marketing forced the story to be dragged out for too long... But at least the clones didn't make deals with the devil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"