Is there still a general longing to see mcu take on X-men

ciscostudent561

Sidekick
Reaction score
I have lost just about all excitement for a multitude of reasons. Kinda sad that I don’t think X-men will get a good honorable film that captures their essence for awhile.

Depends on your definition and your expectations.

I'm very much looking forward to the X-Men, just as much as I always have been. I've also always found it a bit ridiculous to be super hyped and 'longing' about a movie that has no release date, cast, script, director, writer, etc. It's always been far in the future and until it actually enters production, that's where it will remain. And life is too short to spend so much effort worrying about the possibility of a movie that will happen eventually at some unknown date.

When X-Men finally gets officially announced (and even more when we get substantial details), I’m pretty sure all those dormant X-Men fans will re-emerge regardless of how down they are on what kind of film might be made. I’m personally very excited for whatever they come up with, but that excitement will have to go on hold for now till we have an idea of when an X-Men film might come out.

I guess you guys are not concerned with Mcu’s recent drop in quality across the board. That’s my biggest concern. Also the mcu “formula” that has restricted creative freedom in the hands of the directors I think has limited the artistic quality of many of the movies. This has cause most mcu movies to lose individual flair from each director. Disney has also been forcing things down thru their media that has affected quality and has them in awful position.
So my concerns come from a quality issue from mcu itself rather than a lack of information.
I hope we get a unique compelling story that has the essence of the X-men team presented on film. Idc if that takes 10 or 20 years.

I'm still hyped for it whenever it comes along
Or by "general longing" do you mean the general audience? Because the GA's hype for X-Men might've been killed by Fox years ago lol
Nah but I agree with Iceman, whenever there's real news, people will get on board in no time.

I guess you guys are not concerned with Mcu’s recent drop in quality across the board. That’s my biggest concern. Also the mcu “formula” that has restricted creative freedom in the hands of the directors I think has limited the artistic quality of many of the movies. This has cause most mcu movies to lose individual flair from each director. Disney has also been forcing things down thru their media that has affected quality and has them in awful position.
So my concerns come from a quality issue from mcu itself rather than a lack of information.
I hope we get a unique compelling story that has the essence of the X-men team presented on film. Idc if that takes 10 or 20 years.

The quality will be whatever it will be. There was never a guarantee of anything and lots of people thought the MCU was low quality ten years ago already.

For me personally, though, I fundamentally disagree there is any across the board drop in quality of the movies, so no, I'm not extraordinarily worried about that.

Also, quality will always be in the eye of the beholder but the idea that the MCU has only now embraced 'formula' resulting in 'restricting creative freedom' is total nonsense. Its abundantly clear that several of the Phase IV and V movies had far less formula and far more creative freedom than any MCU film since Phase I. If anything, I suspect the attempts at changing the formula and doing something different are responsible for no small part of the complaints many fans have about the movies not being up to the same quality.

I eXpect it to be out in 2030 the earliest, which means all of us will be 7 years older by then. :deadpan: literally at the start of a new decade.

But I hope whatever happens to Marvel Studios, the X-Men reboot is the one project I hope they don't fail. 2nd is 4.

Also, quality will always be in the eye of the beholder but the idea that the MCU has only now embraced 'formula' resulting in 'restricting creative freedom' is total nonsense. Its abundantly clear that several of the Phase IV and V movies had far less formula and far more creative freedom than any MCU film since Phase I. If anything, I suspect the attempts at changing the formula and doing something different are responsible for no small part of the complaints many fans have about the movies not being up to the same quality.

or people will willing to overlook a lot in prior phases so that the train towards the Thanos saga wouldn't get derailed, and are now more willing to speak freely? Same thing with critics and the novelty factor of a shared universe on this scale.

or people will willing to overlook a lot in prior phases so that the train towards the Thanos saga wouldn't get derailed, and are now more willing to speak freely? Same thing with critics and the novelty factor of a shared universe on this scale.

Not sure how fans disliking a movie would've derailed the Infinity Saga, considering fans *did* dislike Iron Man 2 and Thor The Dark World at the very least. Arguably also The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 3 and Ant-man.

In any case, the theory that the movies were always not great and Endgame just ended the honeymoon period (which magically lasted over a decade and more movies than just about any other film series I can remember) is not even relevant to what I said in that quote, anyway. People who are looking at the movies now and complaining about quality dips compared to the past clearly don't think, even now, that those previous movies were bad. If they did, they wouldn't be complaining about quality dips because the quality would have always been bad.

Last edited:
Admittedly less excited than I was in the MCU’s heyday (i.e. pre-Endgame). Of course any X-Men news will have me interested, but the exciting prospect of rebooting the X-Men into the MCU was the opportunity of characters like Cyclops, Wolverine, and Storm interacting with Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, and T’Challa.

Deadpool 3 has me satiated for now—especially with the rumors of returning Fox-verse actors.

At this point, it's harder to be excited when the rebooted ,MCU versions of the characters, won't be appearing for several years.

I feel the same way about Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars.
At this point, they keep being delayed so far off in the future, it's hard, for me, to be excited for a film , or characters ,which won't be coming until the late 2020s and early 2030s.

When the films ,and characters get closer , then my excitement level will go up.
But at this point , it's hard to really be excited .

I hope by the X-Men is about to be released. Marvel Studios is only prioritizing 5 other IPs (including Avengers and 4), when it comes to feature films. I don't want to wait 4 to 5 years for a X-Men 2 and X-Men 3. And who knows whats the state of Disney+ by then?

I eXpect it to be out in 2030 the earliest, which means all of us will be 7 years older by then. :deadpan: literally at the start of a new decade.

But I hope whatever happens to Marvel Studios, the X-Men reboot is the one project I hope they don't fail. 2nd is 4.
As long as they get it right! If they do we can look forward to great times from then on with sequels and spin-offs.

The MC"U" is already over and fitting the classic mutant stories into that world won't fit.. They have some legacy characters carrying over into their multiverse stories and are trying to introduce fear and prejudice at aliens which of course will also be put onto mutants.

It depends on the writers and directors they hire.

I'm hoping they bring back the Russo's.

I do think people will be hyped eventually. The hype for Deadpool 3 is already well above average.

Even if Jackman wasn't in it, it would be unbelievable for there to not be hype for a Deadpool film. Heck, at this point, Deadpool 2 is still the highest grossing of the X-Men films.

That said, whether it's X-Men or Secret Wars, I get the feeling that Russos would be a last resort since they're doing other things. The Russos would be the ace in the hole that the studio could fall back on if all other options aren't what they want.

X-Men represents a counter cultural shift for the MCU that has me interested. While I don't fully believe in Disney/Marvel to fully realize that potential, I still think it can at least be refreshing compared to what they've been throwing a the wall lately.

All that said, I would rather not see the Russos take that property on. The Duffer Brothers or Jeff Rowe or someone like those guys would be more exciting to me.

Disney should at least nail the visuals, the X-Men looking more animated.

The MC"U" is already over and fitting the classic mutant stories into that world won't fit.. They have some legacy characters carrying over into their multiverse stories and are trying to introduce fear and prejudice at aliens which of course will also be put onto mutants.
As for that comment, "over" is an eXaggeration. Anyone could argue that the golden days of the MCU might be behind them, however we are still getting plenty of movies and shows under this brand. Disney isn't going to abandon the brand in the neXt 5 to 15 years.

Speaking for myself...

Right now, a lot of the appeal is gone.

From a quality standpoint...the MCU has lost a step, and after watching some of the stuff they did with Spider-Man, I'm not sure they're going to be great at capturing some of the core themes and spirit of the team.

And then, there's the "shared universe" aspect. A lot of the major and, IMO, truly compelling MCU characters are either already gone, or have one foot out the door, and so far, I'm not dying to see the likes of Wolverine interacting with...pretty much any of these newer characters.

At this point, the appeal for me is mainly surface level, namely finally getting to see the X-Men in comic accurate outfits.

I just don't trust "Do Better" Feige to handle the messaging of the X-men, at a time when the metaphor is more relevant than ever.

The MCU is in a weird place right now, and I'm pretty sure it needs some adjusting before X-men get brought in fully. Legacy characters continue to bring in viewers but they haven't launched a new character to tons of fanfare yet. Eternals was almost DOA. Shang Chi is now 2 years old with no sequel in site yet. Kang looks to be the big bad for the next round but he's a tough one to set up. Then add that Ant-Man 3 wasn't a crowd pleaser and the fact that Jonathan Majors hasn't exactly done them any favors. They almost need to reconsider the big bad at this point. Galactus might be a simpler setup with Surfer. I know FF4 2 and the cloud exists, but Galactus/Surfer is a decently easy setup across the credits stingers and macguffins. Also this allows them to continue to setup Kang or maybe even Beyonder and a Secret Wars reset of everything. Sure Earth fought the Chitari but you heard Rocket say they're a pretty easy enemy. Defeating a "Celestial" may trigger the Beyonder's interest and desire to create a battle world to determine the best timeline.

X-men would be perfect for a Secret Wars build up and reset. Besides they need to dive into the X-men well just to feed the machine, but the question is "how do they do it without retelling what's already been put on film or mucking up the timeline further?".

IMHO it means a reboot of the X-men to make it work which means recasting. However, several of the characters were so perfectly cast the first time around that it's going to be very difficult to do, which may also lend itself to a better DOFP style reset. Otherwise now you're back at square 1 new actors, new brand, new hype, perhaps even new lead in from a different character so they don't have to completely rehash everything.

Last edited:
I'm honestly of the mindset that I literally just wanna see more X Men that's good. We haven't had a good X Men movie (not counting Wolverine solo movies) in close to 10 years. Whether it's in the MCU or not, just gimme another good X Men movie

Good movies featuring Fantastic 4 and the X-Men should make things interesting for Marvel Studios. Some people might not be eXcited for another Eternals, Thunderbolts, Thor 5 (I hope that doesn't happen) and Falcon as the new Captain America, but there are still classic Marvel characters we have yet to see in the MCU. Deadpool and Spider-Man are still appealing to the general public, especially Spider-Man. Another Black Panther movie and Dr. Strange seem obvious to me, its just a matter of when will those come out. Shang-Chi was pretty popular when his movie came out and its up for Marvel Studios how they are going to make the sequel even more popular.

Also, I don't know when it would take for Marvel to focus on 4 to 6 ips. But I'm hoping that happens someday.

I would also like Kevin Feige to have a proper end game for the MCU. Because I'm not sure in 2035 (12 years from now), if I really want to see several Marvel movies deeply connected to phase 1/2/3 movies by that point. The Marvels is going to be the 33rd MCU film and we are already more than halfway to the 50th MCU film. I don't think I want all that history/connection/baggage in a 2035 Marvel movie. They would probably have to do a total movie reboot for characters like Steve Rogers/Tony Stark and Peter Parker for the newer generation of viewers who are still babies now or haven't even born yet. But then, how many MCU X-Men movies would have been released by 2035? Probably not more than three.

Last edited:
Unlikely, sure, but Secret Wars in 2027 provides the perfect reboot opportunity for the MCU. You can literally get a decade out of the X-Men properties in film & Disney+ without ever having to reintroduce new versions of Cap, Iron Man, Black Panther, etc.

At this point, I’d almost prefer if Fantastic Four is delayed until after Secret Wars. Use the next 5 years to pump out a final Thor, Captain Marvel, Doctor Strange, Captain America, Black Panther, Midnight Sons (Blade, Moon Knight, Werewolf by Night, Man-Thing, Black Night, etc.) Disney+ Halloween special, etc. and then just lean into mutants in 2028 and beyond:

- X-Men
- Wolverine / Weapon X
- Storm
- Magneto
- X-Factor
- X-Force
- Starjammers
- Alpha Flight
- Morlocks
- Deadpool
- Dazzler
- Exiles
- Excalibur
- New Mutants / Generation X
- Savage Land

Reintroduce certain characters in due time—Cap and/or Hulk in a Wolverine film, T’Challa in a Storm-centric property (or vice versa), Tony Stark can appear in a Fantastic Four film or an Avengers vs X-Men film down the road, magic-centric characters in Excalibur, cosmic characters in Starjammers, etc.

Some recent MCU casting can be carried over, if necessary, like Shang-Chi, Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, etc. All those actors/characters are fine, but I wouldn’t cry if we moved away from them. After Moon Knight, I’m not clamoring for another season. And I certainly don’t need to see more stories about Emilia Clarke’s Super Skrull. Idk how much mileage we can get out Agatha Harkness...

Just focus on fleshing out the mutant narrative, set in a rebooted world where superheroes exist (referred to, but not yet seen onscreen).

Tom Holland’s Peter Parker is tricky, given Sony’s semi-independence from the MCU, but maybe another solo film before Secret Wars and then have him heroically sacrifice himself in that movie, allowing Sony to move forward with a Miles Morales-centric live action story (maybe even something more in line with the video games, i.e. an older Peter Parker). In 2027, it’ll have been a decade for Holland. Like RDJ or Evans before him, I could see Holland wishing to bow out with a satisfying finale to his version of Peter (although Sony may want to save such a moment for one of their own released films).

Treat Secret Wars like the Ultimate Comics’ “Ultimatum” (albeit, better written)—a definitive ending for this MCU with cameos celebrating Marvel legacy films. Bring back RDJ and Evans if possible, end Thor’s story, end this iteration of Wakanda (RIP Chadwick Boseman), say goodbye to Samuel L Jackson as Fury, etc. And set the stage for a new Mutant Saga, a new heroic age…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"