Fox’s X-Men Universe Has Come to An End: Will You Miss It?

A movie called Logan is not gonna cover what happened to another 20 or so X-Men people. It was a Wolverine movie with Charles as a guest star. And it was ****ing amazing.

he always has a guest star. Apparently he cant have a real solo movie without any other X-Man helping him to better Boxoffice numbers.

XMO: Gambit, Cyclops, Emma...
TW: Jean Grey
L: Charles Xavier and X23.

Yes and no. I enjoyed a good portion of the X-Men films put out by Fox, but it's clear it got to the point that it was time to shake things up and move on. The original trilogy is pretty decent, I like the original X-Men a fair amount, X2 is good and I don't think The Last Stand is as bad as most say it is. First Class is awesome and DoFP is one of the better comic book movies, but things just went downhill after that with Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix and apparently New Mutants.

I will always be grateful that the Fox films gave us the ICONIC Hugh Jackman as Wolverine and Patrick Stewart as Professor X.

The Fox X-Men franchise gave me 5.5 X-Men movies I really enjoyed, 1.5 amazing Wolverine movies, 2 great Deadpool movies, a fun New Mutants movie, three seasons of Legion with the best cast in comic book TV history, and I enjoyed all the nods and fanservice in both seasons of the Gifted. I love this iteration of the franchise. I grew up with these movies. I spend hours upon hours analyzing every trailer shot. I was in theatres on day 1 every single time and then rewatched them feverously as soon as they came out on DVD. I loved every second despite the problems. So, yes, I will miss it a lot. Not because I am some clueless movie fan who didn't read the comics, but because I loved what we did get.

I agree that the main X-Men movies went off the rails to some degree, though I personally always found enjoyment in each of the movies. New Mutants was a clear example of this as well. From what I heard, I expected to find a dumpster fire and instead I found a movie that I actually really enjoyed. But yeah, we were in an era where the spin-off movies were doing much better than the main entries and that's a shame. If there's one thing I'm looking forward to it's seeing some neglected characters getting better treatment in the MCU. Actually, I'm pretty sure they will. When it's all said and done though, there are four main reasons I'll be sad to see this franchise go as we start with a fresh slate:
  • The Fox X-Men had an edge that the MCU, outside of the Netflix shows, and the later seasons of Agents of Shield will never have. I'm not just talking Deadpool, I'm talking every single movie. The nazi hunt, almost everything about Wolverine, threatening the president, even the way some of the aliens were killed on the train in Dark Phoenix wouldn't fly in the MCU movies. I really hope they don't treat X-Men like the rest of the MCU brands. In that regard, it would feel like a big step down. The fact that they are so reluctant to touch Deadpool also speaks volumes.
  • I also mentioned that we were in an era of spin-offs, which honestly was quite exciting. New Mutants, X-Force, X-23, Alpha Flight, and Exiles; Fox was starting to dig deeper than just the mainstream 90s X-Men team. Now we'll get the pleasure of once again being introduced to the most commonly known characters for the next 5/6 years. Yes, I want a lot of these characters done right, but I also don't want to spend years establishing the basics again. We're going from several active mutant teams to "mutants don't even exist yet". Another huge step down.
  • Dawn of X and the treatment of MCU Spider-Man are a great indication of how far they'll have to go to distinguish the MCU X-Men from the Fox version. It's no coincidence that DoX lacks all the main aspects that defined the Fox movies. No mansion, no blackbird, no Cerebro in the traditional sense, a lot of characters that were important in the movies behaving very differently. Jean back as Marvel Girl. Big Fox era villains as allies. I think people are overestimating how faithful to the comics the MCU X-Men will be. What people really want is all the things Fox got right, combined with all the things that were missing in those movies, and that really isn't going to happen. We'll get accurate backstories, costumes, weirder storylines, and maybe even some accents, but mark my words, MCU X-Men will be very different from what we've seen in the comics, games, and animated series.
  • I also just really think the X-Men deserve their own universe and that they would work better outside of the bigger MCU. Rebooting them as a standalone property would actually be preferable. There's more than enough teams and line-ups for mutant crossovers as well. I would also be fine if this was the case in the comics and I think Krakoa is a return to form in that regard. No more X-Men vs Avengers or X-Men vs Inhumans for a long time please.
I will be here for X-Men in the MCU. I have watched every MCU movie and the ABC shows several times. I will watch every Disney+ show they throw at me and I think there's a lot of cool stuff still to come. There is potential here, but I'm not sure why so many people are on the MCU X-Men hype train just yet. Only time will tell if they actually pull it off.

Last edited:
A movie called Logan is not gonna cover what happened to another 20 or so X-Men people. It was a Wolverine movie with Charles as a guest star. And it was ****ing amazing.
There was no guest star as its not a TV show, its a film. Xavier was a supporting movie in the film.

And yes, the movie is amazing which you already said plenty of times.

There was no guest star as its not a TV show, its a film. Xavier was a supporting movie in the film.

And yes, the movie is amazing which you already said plenty of times.

Xavier was a guest star like in the comics, the story wasn't focused on him, but he was part of Logan's journey and arc in the movie.

You slate the X-Men movies every chance you get, so I will say how amazing Logan is as much as I want thank you. Don't be hypocritical.

I'm not sure why so many people are on the MCU X-Men hype train just yet. Only time will tell if they actually pull it off.
Well for starters, they don't have critical failure films like The New Mutants, X-Men Apocalypse, X-Men The Last Stand, X-Men Origins Wolverine and Dark PhoeniX. Their worst films like Thor The Dark World and Age of Ultron still got way better reviews and decent boX office numbers. And they don't show up in every Worst cbms and disappointing sequels of all time list.

Their movies are full of spectacle and doesn't look underbudget or tv made. And the Avengers actually get to do stuff in a handful of films. Quicksilver is the only eXception but he didn't just utter four kines there in Aou compare to Storm in the last three films she appeared in.

Like if you are willing to give FoX a free pass for everything wrong and misstep they've done in the last 15 years, I don't see why you should be SO skeptic over a studio with a much better track record. And say "why are everybody in the MCU train". Unless you are unaware that films from Marvel Studios are popular and arent critically panned but I don't see why you would since you're in a forum like SHH.

Yeah not sure why are you still surprised. Its not like Infinity War and Endgame didn't gross over abillion and got terrible reviews.

Xavier was a guest star like in the comics, the story wasn't focused on him, but he was part of Logan's journey and arc in the movie.
Oh similar to how Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, Shadowcat, Colossus were just guest stars in the original trilogy and Dofp but the X-Men comics aren't like that anyway. Got it. And I didn't know movies have guest stars now.

Oh similar to how Storm, Cyclops, Iceman, Shadowcat, Colossus were just guest stars in the original trilogy and Dofp but the X-Men comics aren't like that anyway. Got it. And I didn't know movies have guest stars now.

The movies are an adaptation of the comics Psy, they have similarities but you will never get a 100% adaptation and the MCU version won't be either. The MCU has plenty of deviations from the comics as well. Same as the DCCU. CBMs aren't just made for fans.

Anyway, it's boring now, you clearly don't miss this franchise so as I have said before, move on and focus on something you are positive about. There is enough negativity in the world without people complaining about franchises that have ended.

The movies are an adaptation of the comics Psy, they have similarities but you will never get a 100% adaptation and the MCU version won't be either. The MCU has plenty of deviations from the comics as well. Same as the DCCU. CBMs aren't just made for fans.

Anyway, it's boring now, you clearly don't miss this franchise so as I have said before, move on and focus on something you are positive about. There is enough negativity in the world without people complaining about franchises that have ended.
Oh so you're using Xavier was a guest star in Logan movies just like in Old Man Logan comiXs and praise that depiction.... but then you also bring up this "its an adaptation" eXcuse for the original trilogy/Dofp as to how the other X-Men didn't have much else to do. Yeah no thank you.

Yeah its boring but you keep replying. And my negativity over the movies isn't starting world war 3 for you to make a comparison to serious events that happened in the world. My opinions aren't beint toldin the news.

Oh so you're using Xavier was a guest star in Logan movies just like in Old Man Logan comiXs and praise that depiction.... but then you also bring up this "its an adaptation" eXcuse for the original trilogy/Dofp as to how the other X-Men didn't have much else to do. Yeah no thank you.

Yeah its boring but you keep replying.

You keep replying also, why bother still slating a franchise that is done, on a thread that is asking will you miss it of all things? Move on Psy life is too short.

As I said, they can use things from the comics but there will never ever be a 100% adaptation. How can you not see this. Does Spiderman view Iron Man as more important than Uncle Ben in the comics? NO he doesn't, but he certainly does in the movies. Move the hell on Psy you are literally crying over spilt milk.

I keep replying but I don't order you to shut up and be positive. If you followed our little conversation in this thread, i was talking about the movies, then you started this, "psy you are a good guy, then are better things to do the world, life is short". Really? Are you going to do that everytime you have a disagreement with somebody over a franchise and a movie? And how do you eXpect people to respond to that condescending behavior?

My rankings for the movies

1. Logan
2. Deadpool 2
3. First Class
4. X2
5. X-Men
6. Deadpool
7. Days Of Future Past
8. The Last Stand
9. The Wolverine
10. X-Men: Apocalypse
11. Dark Phoenix
12. Origins Wolverine

I keep replying but I don't order you to shut up and be positive. If you followed our little conversation in this thread, i was talking about the movies, then you started this, "psy you are a good guy, then are better things to do the world". Really? Are you going to do that everytime you have a disagreement with somebody over a franchise and a movie? And how do you eXpect people to respond to that condescending behavior?

Where did I tell you to shut up? I didn't, I am trying to give you advice but as always you take the huff with anything to do with a franchise that is done. You don't think you're condescending? You questioned someone enjoying New Mutants in the NM thread because you didn't. So again don't be hypocritical.

I have plenty of disagreements with people on here, but they tend to bring up good and new points that make me re-think my opinion on certain things. You just repeat as nauseum how much you hate this franchise over and over and over. We know you hate the franchise, you don't have to repeat it in every thread. But yeah, I am the condescending one :wall:

Cool story bro.

1. Logan
2. Deadpool 2
3. First Class
4. X2
5. X-Men
6. Deadpool
7. Days Of Future Past
8. The Last Stand
9. The Wolverine
11. Dark Phoenix
12. Origins Wolverine
You should watch The New Mutants.

1. Logan
2. Deadpool 2
3. First Class
4. X2
5. X-Men
6. Deadpool
7. Days Of Future Past
8. The Last Stand
9. The Wolverine
11. Dark Phoenix
12. Origins Wolverine

Good idea on the rankings, mine would be:

1) X2
2) Logan
3) Days of Future Past
4) Deadpool
5) First Class
6) Deadpool 2
7) The Wolverine EE
8) X-Men
9) X-Men Apocalypse
10) The New Mutants
11) The Last Stand
12) Dark Phoenix
13) Wolverine Origins

• I also just really think the X-Men deserve their own universe and that they would work better outside of the bigger MCU. Rebooting them as a standalone property would actually be preferable. There's more than enough teams and line-ups for mutant crossovers as well. I would also be fine if this was the case in the comics and I think Krakoa is a return to form in that regard. No more X-Men vs Avengers or X-Men vs Inhumans for a long time please.
Which isn't going to happen with Marvel Studios especially given how popular the X-Men are, at least in the comiXs, they are one of the most popular IPs from the comics even before the movies happened. They aren't going to be eXcluded especially there are already fans that want Storm, Rogue, the Wolverine to appear alongside certain Marvel characters. I wouldn't mind another seperate X-Men movie universe as long as its not as bad and messy as last one. But the film rights came back to Marvel and they have the every right to do with it. As Kevin Feige already announced, the Mutants are coming to the mcu.

I'll miss what it was, but that ended with Logan regardless of the Disney merger, with the exception of the planned X-23 movie (which I still really wish Disney would still allow Mangold to make). Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix, and New Mutants were all ill conceived ideas for the direction of the post-DoFP and post-Logan Xverse. Apocalypse should have been a movie starring the original cast and should have been set shortly after the good future ending of DoFP, and instead of Dark Phoenix we should have gotten a movie about post-Logan Jean Grey, Cyclops, and a small group of other surviving mutants getting back together after learning about the new mutants, and then finally instead of New Mutants we should have gotten a movie starring X-23 and her group of new mutants as an end cap to the whole Fox storyline.

But as it stands, I'm still very happy with the story we got in the Fox films, as long as you cut off the unnecessary bits.

X-Men 1
X-Men 2
X-Men 3
The Wolverine
First Class
Days of Future Past
Logan

That's all you need, and it'll always be a fun ride to go back to every once in while.

And now, with all the **** that's been going on this year, and with the MCU basically going into a coma after Endgame, I'm more than ready to jump into a new era of X-men films that will hopefully revitalize the MCU.

Last edited:
Well for starters, they don't have critical failure films (...) way better reviews and decent boX office numbers
This is 100% accurate, but this thread was about personal opinions. I like the 'worst' X-Men movies a whole lot better than the worst parts of the MCU. To each their own. That's why it's called an opinion.
And the Avengers actually get to do stuff in a handful of films. Quicksilver is the only eXception but he didn't just utter four kines there in Aou compare to Storm in the last three films she appeared in.
If you had actually read my post you would've known that I said the same thing.
I don't see why you should be SO skeptic over a studio with a much better track record.
I told you exactly why, but it seems like you didn't read it. Again, this is all a matter of opinion. There's no wrong or right answer here.
Which isn't going to happen with Marvel Studios especially given how popular the X-Men are, at least in the comiXs, they are one of the most popular IPs from the comics even before the movies happened. They aren't going to be eXcluded especially there are already fans that want Storm, Rogue, the Wolverine to appear alongside certain Marvel characters. I wouldn't mind another seperate X-Men movie universe as long as its not as bad and messy as last one. But the film rights came back to Marvel and they have the every right to do with it. As Kevin Feige already announced, the Mutants are coming to the mcu.
Yeah, it definitely won't happen, which to be fair is within their rights. I do hope that the X-Men will at least get their own corner of the MCU when they are not participating in crossovers. Disney+ could also really help with developing a larger mutant society though. I'm excited about that opportunity. I just hope that won't crash and burn with the huge amount of shows they are ordering for it and the amount of money that Disney+ is losing.

I don't particularly care for Disney+ especially for the mutants to appear there, as the shows will get a significantly lower budget... I mean look at WandaVision. And I don't want certain characters to get 10x the screentime in the shows compare to the movies. I mean look at Phil Caulson in Aos, he had more screentime than Rdj in the MCU, yet I can't remember what Phil Caulson did in every aos episode.

I don't particularly care for Disney+ especially for the mutants to appear there, as the shows will get a significantly lower budget... I mean look at WandaVision.
Wandavision looks a lot more interesting to me than Captain Marvel or Far From Home ever did. I'm super excited for that show. I know you don't like Legion either, but imo that was miles ahead of the large majority of live-action superhero stuff with a super low budget.

And I don't want certain characters to get 10x the screentime in the shows compare to the movies. I mean look at Phil Caulson in Aos, he had more screentime than Rdj in the MCU, yet I can't remember what Phil Caulson did in every aos episode.
I'm the exact opposite. Phil Coulson and the large majority of the AoS cast is more memorable to me than some of the big-name MCU characters because we were able to spend so much time with them.

Last edited:
The Disney + shows actually really good budgets, like Game of Thrones level. The Mandalorian is very cinematic so I am excited to see more shows from them.

WandaVision looks awesome to me as well.

Mandalorian looks cinematic if you compare it to mid-range budgeted films like the New Mutants which looked like a tv movie. But it doesn't look as expensive as the recent Star Wars films. These shows are never going to be as eXpensive as the biggest Disney movies and it shows.
Wandavision looks a lot more interesting to me than Captain Marvel or Far From Home ever did. I'm super excited for that show. I know you don't like Legion either, but imo that was miles ahead of the large majority of live-action superhero stuff with a super low budget.

I'm the exact opposite. Phil Coulson and the large majority of the AoS cast is more memorable to me than some of the big-name MCU characters because we were able to spend so much time with them.
General public didn't even care for Aos' series finale well at least in America (based from the ratings). You must be avid viewer to remember Deken, Mak and Yoyo over characters like Captain Marvel, WandaVision, Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Ant-Man and the Wasp.

Long story, short. Film is still the more ideal platform unless Marvel Studios/Disney are willing to cash out 50 million per episode, meaning there won't be budget restrictions and the big storylines won't just be saved for the films. And those things aren't happening.

General public didn't even care for Aos' series finale well at least in America (based from the ratings).
Same argument as before by throwing numbers. That means nothing to me. Millions of people went to see Transformers movies and Avatar was the biggest movie of all time despite a horrible script. Basically nobody watched Legion, but that doesn't make it less amazing.

It's also funny to me that the large majority of characters you just mentioned are getting the Disney+ treatment. But to me Falcon, Ant-Man and the Wasp are indeed not even remotely as interesting as Coulson, May, Quake, Fitz & Simmons. That's the funny thing about opinions.
Long story, short. Film is still the more ideal platform.
Star Wars would disagree with you, but 'why not both'? There is room for both. That said this has gone incredibly off-topic.

Same argument as before by throwing numbers. That means nothing to me. Millions of people went to see Transformers movies and Avatar was the biggest movie of all time despite a horrible script. Basically nobody watched Legion, but that doesn't make it less amazing.

It's also funny to me that the large majority of characters you just mentioned are getting the Disney+ treatment. But to me Falcon, Ant-Man and the Wasp are indeed not even remotely as interesting as Coulson, May, Quake, Fitz & Simmons. That's the funny thing about opinions.
Star Wars would disagree with you, but 'why not both'? There is room for both. That said this has gone incredibly off-topic.
You're the first one to bought up Disney+ so yes. Lets not be more off topic.

P.s. star wars isn't Marvel. It was clear I was referring to Marvel ips when I said film is the more ideal platform for these adaptations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"