MCU X-Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they didn't follow your logic. If they did, they would've given us origin movies for both Black Widow and Hawkeye just to "make them important". Because how could they probably ever become important if we don't see their origin stories right? Its not like they could develop them in future movies or anything without an origin story of some sort first... right?

But the success of Black Widow as a supporting character proves you wrong. Because she hasn't even had a movie of her own yet and she is one of the most popular characters in the MCU based on her appearances in movies where she wasn't a main character (and now they are finally developing a solo movie for her, based on a demand for it).

In trying to use her as an example, you are only undermining your argument, not strengthening it.

Man, I love you, dude. On one hand, you seem to think my argument about an emotional journey requires a full traditional origin story, no matter how many times I clarify, which is just silly.

On the other hand, you make me think, in this case, about what makes Hawkeye work when he works. See in my actual theory, supporting characters are important purely based on their connection to 'main' characters, characters on a heroic journey. Hawkeye's farm storyline doesn't work, imho, but his relationship with Wanda does, that's when Hawkeye is at his best... but why? Wanda is not a main character, she doesn't have a herodom journ- but wait... she totally does, and totally is. She absolutely goes from something very much not like a hero to being a hero and an Avenger. She is the character that undergoes the most change in AoU. She's the catalyst for the storyline, and the movie starts and ends with her emotions and connections. She is the first main character we see, not Tony or Cap, and we see her in a purely emotional light with her brother. The movie ends with the completion of her incredible journey, and the second to last shot is her assembled with her new team and family, which she enters dramatically. Hawkeye works when he is supporting that journey, and when he's having his own story devoid of a herodom journey it feels like everything has slowed to a crawl.

Man, the MCU is really good at storytelling. So much respect.

In conclusion, thanks to our failure to communicate, they totally could handle the O5 like they did BWidow, have her as unimportant support, and then cleverly make them not heroes so they can have a whole herodom journey. It wouldn't save them any time as you seem to believe, as Black Widow needed a lot of screen time to become important, and she's more adapted to not being a hero than, say, Iceman, but it's definitely doable, and could be interesting.

This is true. I'd want the original team to be a lot smaller scale. I'd want Jean and Scott to get the most focus from the original team, so I'd fill out the rest of the original team with characters that don't often get much attention. Rictor or Marrow would be neat. They should be doing smaller scale missions like helping refugee mutants and intervening in violence between mutants and humans. Eventually a bigger crisis comes up that the team can't handle so they have to recruit a bigger team (I would make the newcomers the big huge A-list X-characters). Then the movie becomes about adjusting to new character dynamics.

I see what you're getting at. I do like the idea of getting some shine on characters that don't usually get it. Maybe as quasi-supporting characters of the original team. I think using characters that haven't gotten any shine could be cool. I personally would want to see Dazzler, Sunfire, and Thunderbird, but it might be interesting to use characters that naturally lend themselves to support roles, like Sage, Forge and Cecelia Reyes.

I think they'd probably need a reasoning stronger than 'we need more bodies' to recruit a whole new team. It'd be more interesting if there was some material difference between the type of missions they were doing in the backstory and the type of missions the movie franchise covers.

I never really liked Sauron. He never felt like an X-men character/villain to me.

Bastion or Sinister could be cool, but I'd go with the Shadow King.

Shadow King! Yes! He's great, and would be a really REALLY good first movie villain. He can be inserted into anything and be a catalyst because he's a body-jumper. As much as I love FX's Legion, and Aubrey Plaza in general, that character isn't really as Shadow King-y as I'd like.

And I totally get what you mean about Sauron, and I used to feel the same way, I just don't care anymore for some reason, so long as he's used to support another villain.

I'd also love to see Savage Land and the REAL Juggernaut, running around with Black Tom, of course. And instead of the Dark Phoenix Saga, which has now become the overarching plot of TWO franchises, I would love Deadly Genesis and Vulcan, potentially leading into a War of Kings crossover event movie.

Black Tom! He's NEVER gotten the respect he deserves. I think Juggernaut is the type of villain/story who was used briefly and poorly enough by Fox that he's really primed for use by the MCU.

I'm iffy on Deadly Genesis sometimes, mostly because Vulcan's OPness makes no sense to me thematically. Like, he feels so much like a fan-fiction character, it makes me upset.

That said, if they could do that a bit better than the comics, War of Kings could be true gold. Of course, that then brings up questions about the MCU Inhumans... :csad:

What do you guys think about:
- Mutant Massacre, with Sinister, Gambit, the Morlocks and the Nasty Boys
- Onslaught as an Avengers Crossover instead of AvX inspired?
- Something inspired by Days of Future Present?

I'd go with a new actor for the MCU Wolverine but there's no reason why Jackman couldn't show up as a time-displaced Old Man Logan, it's happened in the comics.
Old Man Logan would be the MCU version just very old. Why would it be Jackman. In the comics, it was an Old Man version of 616 Logan from an alternative universe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"