It's Clobbering Time! The Ben Grimm/ Thing moments we want to see in the MCU

That would be really cool. I think it would develop both characters really well. They might even be able to team them up over bens famous poker nights from the comics

^
The Fantastic Four —including a Jewish man of stone —
you know what, tho, I've always known he was Jewish, but til I heard it worded like that I never made the connection, "man of stone" kinda like a, Golem (of Jewish folklore)

I don’t know if anybody asked the question, but here’s the answer:

John Cena Would Consider Playing the Thing in Marvel's ‘Fantastic Four’ Reboot

He should play Hydro Man instead. I don't really want him as the Thing.

Also, his quote is this:

"I would consider most any-thing. I think keeping yourself open to options and different perspectives is a good way to go about life. This would simply be a thing that I would consider, because I like to keep my perspective open to new things."

Are they deducing he'd consider playing the Thing from his emphasis on the word "thing"?

Why is pretending to be oblivious like this a thing?

For all reading... If you act like an oblivious ninny when you post that's how you'll be treated as and thought of.

^ cause that's how most people on the internet, want to/are going to, perceive you anyway (everyone wants to be right or smarter then others, and don't want you talking down to them, even if ironically that's exactly what they do to you) so it's easier to just play dumb and let others think their the ones were correcting you (when really your just letting them prove your point for you)

He should play Hydro Man instead. I don't really want him as the Thing.

Also, his quote is this:

"I would consider most any-thing. I think keeping yourself open to options and different perspectives is a good way to go about life. This would simply be a thing that I would consider, because I like to keep my perspective open to new things."

Are they deducing he'd consider playing the Thing from his emphasis on the word "thing"?
reminds me when everyone thought David Harper was playing Ben, after it was reported he landed a marvel role cause he said -"I am excited for this thing" lol

Last edited:
I dont know if yall know this, but if you look at my post history, i am one of the first if not the first person to suggest Seth Rogen as Ben Grimm..

I posted this on another thread, but it was such a great idea i really feel it needs to be spread and go viral just like my Seth Rogen suggestion, but this one is even better.

Yes, get ready for what is most likely the perfect casting for Benjamin Grimm.

He IS a New Yorker.
Former footballer.
KevinJames-1983-football-action.png

He CAN do comedy and probably drama.
And is knwon for playing blue collar, average joe, likeable characters.
AND he has the gruffy, VOICE for it.
The only problem is he isnt Jewish.

The guy?

Kevin James.
kevin-james-bio-net-worth-facts.jpg

for some reason whenever i thought of this character of a jock and blue collar type guy i thought James, but because of his age, i automatically said no. I can envision this working FANTASTICALLY well. Plus his age and contrasting it with a younger teenage Johnny will have its advantages as he can play a mentor role.

watch this scene - he nails the body language, mannerisms, humour, and most of all likeabile, relateble character that Ben needs to be.

Last edited:
I could see Kevin James. A little old, a little fat (as opposed to husky), but he has the personality. Presumably it would be mostly voice work anyway. Maybe they could use the Marvel de-aging effect on him and slim him down some. Good suggestion, but probably too old. He's pushing 60. Remember, hopefully this would be a role throughout multiple films. Hopefully.

Kevin James is as bad a suggestion as any.

Jesus Christ... Kevin James isn't even good doing typical Kevin James lowest common denominator bull****.

It’s funny, I feel like no one has really found the perfect Ben yet. I know marvel will nail it which is good because he kind of is the marvel universe in a way

Interesting that this thread hasn't seen as much activity as some of the others, since The Thing has traditionally been the most popular member of the Fantastic Four. Or maybe that's not the case anymore?

Interesting that this thread hasn't seen as much activity as some of the others, since The Thing has traditionally been the most popular member of the Fantastic Four. Or maybe that's not the case anymore?

I think the problem is he's too hard to cast. I personally don't like anyone for him at the moment. Cena was a decent choice before The Suicide Squad.

Liev Schreiber could work. Just feel like people still associate him a great deal with the X-Men films. But Chris Evans proved you can jump from one franchise and character to another and become the definitive version of that new character. Evans IS Cap. In 2009 I thought his casting was lazy. Now I couldn't see anyone else playing Steve Rogers. So maybe Schreiber can do the same.

Yeah, I think Ben is both the most difficult and most important to cast.

On the outside, Ben needs to be tough and confident and funny while inside feeling insecure, lonely and sentimental.

And it will require an actor with a special skill to play a character who’s playing a character.

He has always been my favorite character, and if done right, I think he could be an amazing, loved character who could be the heart of the MCU.

With all that said, I really can’t name the actor who can do it. Nobody I can think of feels exactly right.

Michael Chiklis, for example, who gets a lot of praise was a little too soft in his portrayal IMO. He said the quiet part out loud. Ben is that sad, lonely, sentimental emotional guy, but he also works very hard to prevent the world from seeing it.

So we should only see it in very subtle moments, and that will be a real trick.

I’ve always seen Ben’s physical form as an allegory for his personality. He has a very hard, tough exterior and only his eyes betray the soft person underneath all that.

One thing the comic books gave us that the film won’t (at least if it’s done well) is the internal dialogue and Ben’s thoughts through thought bubbles.

So the actor will have to show us those thoughts even though the dialogue may be very different from what he’s actually thinking.

Michael Chiklis, for example, who gets a lot of praise was a little too soft in his portrayal IMO. He said the quiet part out loud. Ben is that sad, lonely, sentimental emotional guy, but he also works very hard to prevent the world from seeing it.
In that movie Ben was engaged to be married, and as soon as his fiance saw him she threw the engagement ring in his face. It was too much, too in your face, too over the top. By the way, his fiance was played by Laurie Holden from The Walking Dead.

I don’t think his popularity has waned. I think it’s the opposite. He was stan and jack’s favourite character and casting him is the closest to having them both back. No one wants to get that wrong

Even though I have my doubts that Marvel will cast a black guy as Ben because of the whole transformation trope (and Disney specifically getting a lot of flack for using it), I could see Daveed Diggs as a pretty inspired choice.

I was listening to a podcast today with Nick Offerman. Geez he would have been a good Ben. Maybe too old now? I wouldn’t hate it

if we were talking strictly voice over role (of a post transformation already established, Thing ) yes, I can easily seehear Offerman very much personifying the character

and tho, personally I would prefer to see Ben in his human forum as little as possible/ if at all

I have a feeling they'll probably start him off as human

Last edited:
I'd suggest Alan Ritchson, but in the past he's expressed how he didn't like marvel because there were no stakes, and apparently he didn't like filming for the ninja turtles. Although he's my front runner for MCU Sabertooth and pipe dream pick for MCU Variant Eddie Brock/Venom.

if we were talking strictly voice over role (of a post transformation already established, Thing ) yes, I can easily seehear Offerman very much personifying the character

and tho, personal I would prefer to see Ben in his human forum as little as possible/ if at all

I have a feeling they'll probably start him off as human

I don't think we're getting the origin again. My guess is we'll only see human Ben in flashbacks or stock footage/media highlights from when they took off to space.

Since he will be 99% CGI, it raises an intriguing possibility. Get the absolute best voice-actor possible, looks be damned.

Then get a body actor for human Ben that has the right face and body. Then dub the voice actor over that stand-in. And CGI could be used to lay the voice-actor’s expressions on the stand in to make it feel right. Nothing crazy. They don’t have to replace the actors face like they did with Luke Skywalker, just smooth things out so the voice and face blend seamlessly.

And a similar technique could be used for Doom.

That would provide a lot more flexibility in casting two roles that need to be cast right.

Let’s get our James Earl Jones without letting the brief human appearances handcuff us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"