Batman Begins I've always wanted to ask this question...

chosen1

Sidekick
Reaction score
If anyone saw the smallville 10 minute preview of batman begins. The clips they chose were awesome but in the clip and the movie when Alfred tells young bruce It was nothing that he did to cause his parents death. "It was him and him alone." And during the clip it cuts to Ducard saying it was bruces fathers fault.

My question is do you guys think alfred blames thomas wayne for their death and being to passive?

you're joking right? "It was him and him alone," was clearly intended for Joe Chill...

TheJaberwock said:
you're joking right? "It was him and him alone," was clearly intended for Joe Chill...

Okay boss.

yeah . . . I agree, I believe that Alfred was referring to Chill . . . . but you make a good point; the true question is what the filmmakers intended for you to get out of that little bit part

Shouldn't this be in the Begins forum?

1.) Alfred was referring to Joe Chill.

2.) This thread would belong in the Batman Begins forum, if it belonged anywhere at all. Sadly, it does not.

chosen1 said:
Okay boss.

Boss or no boss, he's right, and you should be slapped for not only asking such a dumb question, but starting a new thread for it... in the wrong forum no less.

Yes, Alfred blames Thomas Wayne. That's why he's so damn determined to uphold the Wayne name following their deaths. Out of mockery to that bastard Thomas Wayne. What a jackass.

The question isn't really a dumb one; remember, Ra's Al Ghul told Bruce that the death was his father's fault. He mentioned something along lacking the will to act.

Granted, in the film, Chill was ostensibly referred to by Alfred, but in certain post-traumatic situations, surviving victims have been known to lash out and blame not only the assailant(s), but the deceased as well; sometimes, it's part of the grieving process.

It is in the wrong forum C1, but it was a very prudent question that belies the philosophies of fear, revenge, justice, and the overall balance of them in life.

Alfred may not blame them[his statements are proof of that], but does Bruce? [Bruce probably blames himself in a lot of ways, not only as the young kid who cried to Alfred and proclaimed fault, but as a grown man who's taken a personal responsibility in battling this kind of thing.]

When he was talking to Ra's, he defended his father's guilt in the murders, but perhaps Ra's line of reasoning caused Bruce to secretly harbor resentment, or the familiarity of 'what if' towards his father's inability to save or alter the situation.

Notice also that Rachel didn't just harp on Chill, but she brought the societal problem of Gotham to the forefront[as another reason for what happened]; she showed Bruce a different side of Gotham that he might never see, and as Carmine Falcone pointed out, he'd never understand because he was a silver spoon prince of Gotham. Economic needs would never confront him.

My question is do you guys think alfred blames thomas wayne for their death and being to passive?
No Alfred doesn't, but we'll have to wait and see the trilogy unfold in regards to Bruce's personal feelings. At some point in the next film, or the following sequel, he may experience a time when he lashes out in bitterness. Only the writers know if they'll utilize that resource material.

Well, Bruce feels responsible. His guilt really does haunt him. I think alot of the film, it's him trying to come to terms with that and learning to live with that guilt....which, honestly....isn't justified. It wasn't his fault. But, he feels it was, so it's one of his drives that allows him to do what he does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"