James Cameron's "Avatar" Thread v.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think people will agree with me but I do think Avatar is up there with original Star Wars in the sense of pop culture, if you look at the "Avatards" and the cosplay and the multiple releases and dvd/bluray releases it matches Star wars.

i think you need to give a movie or franchise at least 10 years to see if they are close to SW.

IMO

It will definitely take time to see if it gets there, but so far I agree.

A lot of movies in the last 10+ years have been billed as "the next Star Wars" but I feel like much of that felt very manufactured by studios and the like. The financial success and popularity that Avatar has achieved seems genuine to me and not forced.

Nothing comes close to the impact Star Wars has had on pop culture...and it will take a least a decade to see if Avatar even comes close. I wonder how popular Avatar costumes will be at Halloween...

People are always calling something the new "whatever." Hell, even Nolan and his films are the new "whatever." The problem is that we can't just call **** impressive on its own with comparing it to a previous thing.

The only franchise of the past ten years so far that could even be argued to be in the league of Star Wars, is Harry Potter, I think.

People are always calling something the new "whatever." Hell, even Nolan and his films are the new "whatever." The problem is that we can't just call **** impressive on its own with comparing it to a previous thing.

It's just shorthand.

Saying "Movie X will be the next Star Wars" is a just more concise way of saying "Movie X is going to be incredibly popular and financially successful and become a pop culture phenomenon for years to come."

What Avatar needs to be the next Star Wars are more creative characters and a "Darth Vader" character...

Nothing comes close to the impact Star Wars has had on pop culture...and it will take a least a decade to see if Avatar even comes close. I wonder how popular Avatar costumes will be at Halloween...

people were actually dressed as Navi's last Halloween, before the movie even came out

Ipodman said:
What Avatar needs to be the next Star Wars are more creative characters and a "Darth Vader" character...

VERY valid point.

Star Wars is this generations star wars. lol

kind of random tangent, but Lucas was critisized a bunch back in 02 for filming attack of the clones completely digitally ( which i think that was a first if I remember correctly) This is now becoming fairly common, especially for lower budget movies. just thought it was interestig.

Well, to be fair the digital backdrops in Clones and even in Sith look really bad at times.

Yeah, the technology has improved a lot. Back at the turn of the decade when Lucas was filming AOTC, it just wasn't there yet.

i see this series being more of this generation's 'jurassic park' rather than 'star wars.'

i see this series being more of this generation's 'jurassic park' rather than 'star wars.'

I agree.

As an above poster said, the closest thing of being the next Star Wars is Harry Potter and "we" are being generous because I doubt HP will have the same status as SW 25 years later.

My problem with the CGI backdrops in the prequels was that a lot of them were nearly lifeless & empty. There were a number of times when in Attack of the Clones at the Jedi Cousil building when I thought that. There would be a giant, vast background with..12 people walking about.

I agree.

As an above poster said, the closest thing of being the next Star Wars is Harry Potter and "we" are being generous because I doubt HP will have the same status as SW 25 years later.

Star Wars is more character based, I'd say. So Harry Potter fits that.

... and then a lot of people would complain that Cameron is copying Star Wars. :whatever:

And the question is if he needs a "Darth Vader character" to tell the story he wants to tell?

... and then a lot of people would complain that Cameron is copying Star Wars. :whatever:

And the question is if he needs a "Darth Vader character" to tell the story he wants to tell?

exactly, It doesnt need to follow exactly the same guidelines as Star Wars

My problem with the CGI backdrops in the prequels was that a lot of them were nearly lifeless & empty. There were a number of times when in Attack of the Clones at the Jedi Cousil building when I thought that. There would be a giant, vast background with..12 people walking about.

Totally. They're so static and there's nothing really going on. I would say it looks like a video game, but most top shelf games have a much better ambiance than the prequels.

is anyone going to see it in theaters when it comes out? for me I think ill just wait for the bluray to come out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"