James Gunn to direct

Web-Head

Oh boy yeah
Reaction score
Thread to discuss James Gunn directing Suicide Squad 2

He's back to directing Guardians 3. Wonder how much this will impact SS2.

Wow, so Disney executives must have finally realized they overreacted.

I don't think WB is gonna be happy about him going back to Guardians. Everybody knows how much Gunn loves that franchise and what it means to him. They might not want a guy who's heart is another movie and who could rush through production to get to the movie he really wants do. Won't be surprised if there's an amicable split between the two.

I don't think WB is gonna be happy about him going back to Guardians. Everybody knows how much Gunn loves that franchise and what it means to him. They might not want a guy who's heart is another movie and who could rush through production to get to the movie he really wants do. Won't be surprised if there's an amicable split between the two.
Yes, I could see that happening. Sadly :csad:

Not sure why that would be the case. Directors usually have a couple of films lined up. Waititi has his second world war film he is making, then live action akira, then possibly another thor film. Not to mention an episode of the mandalorian.

Last edited:
Not sure why that would be the case. Directors usually have a couple of films lined up. Waititi has his second world war film he is making, then live action akira, then possibly another thor film. Not to mention an episode of the mandalorian.

Those are not big budget tent-poles movies back to back, they don't require the same amount of time, effort, and dedication.

If Gunn is as nice as his cast and fans are saying, he will honor his contract with WB (who gave him this opportunity, albeit there were probably other offers, but still, they are professionals), and make a good SS film, leaves a good impression then return to Disney.

Or he can bail out on WB and leave a bad taste, and that’s the last thing he wants to do with his PR rebuild. And Disney did an Uturn, they won’t be in a hurry to ruin Gunn-WB relationships, like I am sure Gunn won’t want to burn bridges with WB and show other studios this is how he treats his employers.

I think he has some weird hobbies and mentally something strange, but professionally and around his workmates and fans he has been pretty tidy and kind overall, so I believe he will please both camps

Did Gunn write SS2 as well?

We aren’t talking about some small indie film that Gunn is working on prior to Guardians. This movie is going to have to film, do reshoots, go through editing, etc.

Wouldn’t surprise me if WB decides to part ways. No way they knew in advance he was going back to Guardians.

You lot worry too much. He has probably 4 years to make 2 films. Scripts are mostly done for both. It should be fine.

We aren’t talking about some small indie film that Gunn is working on prior to Guardians. This movie is going to have to film, do reshoots, go through editing, etc.

Wouldn’t surprise me if WB decides to part ways. No way they knew in advance he was going back to Guardians.
I was saying this in the GOTG thread, but there's no reason why this should be an issue. Directors line up their next project while they're working on one all the time. It's how the industry is run. Did you see WB getting mad at Nolan because he had Prestige lined up while he was filming BB? Or the fact that he had Inception lined up while he was filming TDK? Or the fact that he had Interstellar lined up when he filmed TDKR? Etc. Heck, Speilburg famously was nearly filming JP and Schindler's list at the same time.

This isn't anything new. It's standard business. The only unusual thing about it is that the project he's lining up is one he was previously fired from. But no one would bat an eye if yesterday they had announced that James Gunn was directing the third Jurassic Park film (or some other equally big blockbuster type movie).

Your Nolan example isn’t exactly the same since it was all for the same studio.

Yeah, WB would not have hired Gunn if they knew he was going back to Guardians. There's no way that when he told them he's going back, that they were happy about it. They are most likely going to have extensive talks with him as well as internal talks, and if they aren't 100% satisfied that he is all in, they will decide to move on.

This isn't like Speilberg's Jurassic Park/Schindler's List or Nolan's movies around TDK, because those movies were all from the same studio, Universal and WB.

Yeah, WB would not have hired Gunn if they knew he was going back to Guardians. There's no way that when he told them he's going back, that they were happy about it. They are most likely going to have extensive talks with him as well as internal talks, and if they aren't 100% satisfied that he is all in, they will decide to move on.

This isn't like Speilberg's Jurassic Park/Schindler's List or Nolan's movies around TDK, because those movies were all from the same studio, Universal and WB.

Sure, in those cases they were the same studio, but if studios didn't want to work with directors who work with other studios after working on their project, studios would be hiring no directors.

This isn't unusual. Directors look for directing gigs. It's literally their livelyhood. WB isn't going to give a damn if Gunn delivers them a great film and they make good money.

Forbes' Scott Mendelson on this situation:

Either James Gunn ditches Suicide Squad 2 and sticks with Guardians 3 or he ends up directing both potentially similar comic book superhero sequels. As of now, Gunn will allegedly do both movies and Disney is letting him do Suicide Squad before Guardians of the Galaxy. Even if that happens, Disney has still succeeded in undercutting the DC Films sequel. The Suicide Squad movie was a big deal partially so because it was James Gunn bringing his brand to DC Films. With Gunn back to helm Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, The Suicide Squad can’t help but look like a lesser movie. Not unlike Paramount/Viacom’s Star Trek reboot flaming out after Star Wars returned, it’s hard to get too excited for the pretender when the genuine article comes back to town.

DC Films may be in a position in August of 2021 where The Suicide Squad is not a do-or-die project.
I’m not allowed to talk about Shazam yet, but I may be taking my older kids to that nationwide sneak preview next Saturday. So the extent to which James Gunn returning to “Guardians of the Galaxy Classic” will be a potential blow to “Diet Guardians of the Galaxy” will be proportional to how healthy of a brand DC Films happens to be after Shazam, Joker, Birds of Prey, Wonder Woman 1984 and The Batman. Whether by coincidence or design, Disney’s rehiring of Gunn has not only turned a loss into a possible win but undercut what might have been a win for its biggest rival.

James Gunn's Return To 'Guardians Of The Galaxy' Is Bad News For 'Suicide Squad' And 'X-Men'

That person isnt saying anything we could have said here. It's seems too good to be true that he will direct both but ultimately I think he will.

He needs to leave and stay with Disney

Seeing as this has been in the works for months allegedly...I feel like Disney and WB probably hashed things out regarding this privately.

LOL, reading that Mendelsohn piece, it almost sounds like Marvel was playing three-dimensional chess and did all of this just to sabotage DC.

James Gunn's Suicide Squad Movie Is A "Total Reboot," Not Called Suicide Squad 2

Gunn, the Guardians of the Galaxy writer and director who was recently re-instated for Vol. 3, will write and direct The Suicide Squad. Regarding the script, Safran said, "It's everything you would hope from a James Gunn script and I think that says a lot and that promises a lot and I know that we will deliver a lot."

The intriguing angle of this story is that, now that he's back making Guardians of the Galaxy 3, Gunn is directing movies for both DC and Marvel. Safran said he and Gunn agree that the Marvel vs. DC rivalry is "absurd," and everything is going to be just fine.

"You know what I love about James directing for both Marvel and DC is he has always espoused the view that that which unites comic book and superhero lovers is much greater than that which divides us," Safran said. "Because, there's always been this Marvel/DC rivalry, which he has said, and I agree, is absurd. There's room for everybody and certainly that which unites us all is far greater than that which divides us, so hopefully they'll see that you can be both a Marvel and a DC fan and the world won't spin off its axis."

So they're just gonna pretend the first movie didn't happen, uh?

Fine, I'll take it. I still haven't watched it anyway.

It’ll probably be a reboot in the sense that they won’t reference the other movie any more than they absolutely have to. Whatever references there are will likely be able to be interpreted as past missions that we simply haven’t seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"