James Mangold's “Ford v Ferrari” (Damon, Bale)

It was played up and a different kind/region of British accent

What's the verdict on this from those here who have seen it?

I liked it quite a bit, but did anyone else find that scene where Mollie Miles goes hysterical driving with Ken in the passenger seat completely ridiculous? She's totally deranged in that scene and I didn't buy it for a second.

Loved it, a toss up between this and Rush for me for the best racing film I have seen. (Actually I think they might be the only two I have seen but both were brilliant)

Damon was great from start to finish didn't feel like he got as many big ott moments to shine in but I think that made more sense as he had to be the more grounded character making the tough calls throughout the film.

Bale is fantastic he really gets the most meaty moments on the film for me and he handles them damn near perfectly. Loved his switches between his hot-headedness and that quiet down to Earth personality he just sold them both so well.

Loved learning about just a lot of the history of the race in general like the bait and switch that Ferrari pulled with Ford and selling instead to Fiat.

Couldn't help but feeling so bad for Miles at the end though talk about a bittersweet ending.
I liked it quite a bit, but did anyone else find that scene where Mollie Miles goes hysterical driving with Ken in the passenger seat completely ridiculous? She's totally deranged in that scene and I didn't buy it for a second.

I kind of got it because at the start its stated that Mollie is also a gearhead like Ken so she's gonna most likely like a bit of speed as well and at that point she has no idea what Ken's up to in terms of a job and like she says she's really the one who has to worry about Peter and their house, so I think it was just really meant to show her at her wits end.

I kind of got it because at the start its stated that Mollie is also a gearhead like Ken so she's gonna most likely like a bit of speed as well and at that point she has no idea what Ken's up to in terms of a job and like she says she's really the one who has to worry about Peter and their house, so I think it was just really meant to show her at her wits end.
It was nearly a murder/suicide!

What a wonderful movie. I honestly shed a tear. Damon and Bale are great, and James Mangold is an American treasure.

If the movie looks like something you could be interested in, please go out and support it in theaters. I want more movies like this ON THE BIG SCREEN!

I thought Bale and Damon were really good but Josh Lucas was so cartoony.

His part as written was just a one dimensional cliche corporate ******* though.
It was. His entire character was so over the top. I know this is based on a true story but when he proposed the cars passing the finish line together I groaned so loud. Bernthal's character should've decked him.

It was. His entire character was so over the top. I know this is based on a true story but when he proposed the cars passing the finish line together I groaned so loud. Bernthal's character should've decked him.

Beebe really did do that, though the real Beebe claimed he was worried about the drivers’ safety and that Miles was pushing too hard.

Some people who worked with Beebe dispute the movie’s depiction of him and claim they fictionalized him just to have a “villain”.

Saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot. The chemistry between Bale and Damon above all else was just perfect. I need to see these two in another movie again. All hail Mangold! My crowd ate this up big time.

I really love the analysis that this can really just be about the film industry with Ford being the meddling studio, Shelby the director (or producer), and Miles the actor (or director).

I was quite surprised that it just didn’t end with the scene of Miles
alive
test driving (with Shelby’s monologue at the background) after Le Mans. It seemed like a good point to end the story. I knew the fates of everyone involved so I wasn’t surprised or anything with what happened but I assumed that the last 15 mins or so would’ve just been summarized as a text at the end. I do love seeing the impact of
Miles’ death to Shelby.

Last edited:

I kind of agree. That scene felt forced. I mean earlier in the movie Mollie almost seemed to want to encourage him to continue racing and not throw out his trophies. I think they just wanted to pad out Mollie's role and make her more of a character. The whole concerned wife thing is a thankless role.

Last edited:
I thought the racing scenes in this were the best filmed any time in recent memory including Rush.

Agreed, I thought the way Mangold was able to keep each racing section fresh and continue to build the drama with each one was really impressive, his shot selection was superb, I definitely see the movie getting award noms for editing.

Saw this last night and enjoyed it a lot. The chemistry between Bale and Damon above all else was just perfect. I need to see these two in another movie again. All hail Mangold! My crowd ate this up big time.

I really love the analysis that this can really just be about the film industry with Ford being the meddling studio, Shelby the director (or producer), and Miles the actor (or director).

I was quite surprised that it just didn’t end with the scene of Miles
alive
test driving (with Shelby’s monologue at the background) after Le Mans. It seemed like a good point to end the story. I knew the fates of everyone involved so I wasn’t surprised or anything with what happened but I assumed that the last 15 mins or so would’ve just been summarized as a text at the end. I do love seeing the impact of
Miles’ death to Shelby.

You drove this thread Kvz, glad you enjoyed the film. up:

What's the verdict on this from those here who have seen it?
Seen it again with a mate on Sunday still great on a second viewing, one of my favorite fight scenes of any movie because like Damon has said in interviews "its very much like a real fight between two people who really care about each other"

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"