Justice League Jason Momoa is Arthur Curry/Aquaman - Part 1

Yeah! It's a thread for our favorite misunderstood aquatic bad*ss. So you know the usual, costume, casting and portrayal.

Steppenwolf's Axe?

Stepphenwolf-New-52.jpeg

100% certain.

I love that he took a jab back at Bruce for the "I hear you can talk to fish" line. :funny:

I love how Bats is already over it. "Yeah, yeah, just get into formation, a**hole."

I'm gonna love their banter so much. Bruce is just all like:

"Great, now I'm gonna have to babysit this f*** in order to save the world. End me."

Just wait until Bruce has to deal with Arthur AND Hal. He's gonna hate his life.

I really have no idea what Momoa is going for. I dunno if it is deliberate acting choice, direction, scripting, or all of the above but it seems like they are trying to turn Aquaman into a caricature of Hemsworth's Thor as if he were played by Vin Diesel. It lacks any of the regal nature of the character, which is unfortunate. And if they do portray him as the dumb brutish member of the League, its going to be hard to move away from the characterization in a way that will allow for him to carry a solo.

To be fair, I don't think Arthur's already king of Atlantis here. They might get into that storyline in his movie.

They call him a reluctant king for a reason.

Yeah, but I think Thor showed how you can do that well. I really think this comes down to the fact that, and I think even Snyder's most ardent defenders can agree with, characterization is not his strongest suit. Aquaman is the Thor of the Justice League in terms of archetypes. So Snyder simply took that and went to a ridiculous extreme with it. Much as he did by taking Lex Luthor and trying to turn him into a Mark Zuckerberg-esque billionaire. He kind of takes these character types, breaks them down to their most base levels, and uses that. That is the vibe I get from Aquaman.

I'm not even trying to be funny here but how in the world is he like Thor? Please elaborate because I can't see it.

I'm not even trying to be funny here but how in the world is he like Thor? Please elaborate because I can't see it.

Not like Thor, the character archetype in how they are used in the group dynamic is similar. An outsider to humanity from a foreign place, steeped heavily in mythology, where he is royalty. Just as I would say Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are similar archetypes. It doesn't make them the same character, far from it. Similar archetypes.

As to why Momoa's Aquaman is reminding me of a caricature of Hemsworth's Thor, just the general vibe I am getting from a very small sample size. Loud, rambunctious, over the top. Thor served a similar role in Avengers. Only here it seems to be cranked up to 100.

I don't get any Thor from him. MCU's Thor is smiley and cheesy. Aquamomoa is fierce, heavy metal badass. Maybe this is what Thor should be like. Thor is often used at the expense of slapstick comic relief.

Here's a reminder of how corny the MCU is. Doesn't age well and looks lower budget:

[YT]qNC_XJgZzBc[/YT]

Last edited:
Not like Thor, the character archetype in how they are used in the group dynamic is similar. An outsider to humanity from a foreign place, steeped heavily in mythology, where he is royalty. Just as I would say Tony Stark and Bruce Wayne are similar archetypes. It doesn't make them the same character, far from it. Similar archetypes.

As to why Momoa's Aquaman is reminding me of a caricature of Hemsworth's Thor, just the general vibe I am getting from a very small sample size. Loud, rambunctious, over the top. Thor served a similar role in Avengers. Only here it seems to be cranked up to 100.

But wouldn't you say Diana could form that same archetype? She would fit that better than Arthur, who was actually raised within humanity.

The trailer, sadly, only focuses on those aspects of his personality but I still don't think it's Thor like. But to each their own!

There are definitely similarities to Thor, but I don't see "caricature" in any respect.

I don't know about it being dialed up to 100, either.

Aside from being a bit violent (and maybe drunk early on), he seems fairly subtle in his actual interactions (dialogue) with people, especially once he's apparently decided to lend his assistance.

I think there's a definite change in him between the beginning and the end. But I'm not seeing anything terribly "over the top" here. The portrayal of him from an action standpoint is fairly consistent with the comics Aquaman, who has been depicted as a bit of a warrior ever since the 90's.

But wouldn't you say Diana could form that same archetype? She would fit that better than Arthur, who was actually raised within humanity.

The trailer, sadly, only focuses on those aspects of his personality but I still don't think it's Thor like. But to each their own!

Oh, Diana absolutely also fits into the Thor archetype. That's actually one of the more interesting things about the JLA, several characters are kinda duplicates in terms of literary archetypes. Superman and Manhunter, Wonder Woman and Aquaman, and Flash and Lantern (especially Kyle Rayner) all kind of fall into the same category as one another.

There are definitely similarities to Thor, but I don't see "caricature" in any respect.

I don't know about it being dialed up to 100, either.

Aside from being a bit violent (and maybe drunk early on), he seems fairly subtle in his actual interactions (dialogue) with people, especially once he's apparently decided to lend his assistance.

I think there's a definite change in him between the beginning and the end. But I'm not seeing anything terribly "over the top" here. The portrayal of him from an action standpoint is fairly consistent with the comics Aquaman, who has been depicted as a bit of a warrior ever since the 90's.

I dunno. Maybe its the Tim the Toolman-esque grunting that is really turning me off. But I'm not feeling it. Its too caveman. Aquaman has definitely been more warrior since the 90s, but there has been a regal nature about him. Based on this limited sample, there is none of that here.

Maybe he'll be more regal like when he's actually king or accepts his position as king. There's nothing wrong with him having more to his personality. I think they just didn't want to make him too stoic.

I'm a die hard Batman fan, but Momoa is stealing this whole show for me. He's the one thing in this trailer that gets me really excited.

I'm gonna love their banter so much. Bruce is just all like:

"Great, now I'm gonna have to babysit this f*** in order to save the world. End me."

Hal Jordan might not be in the film, but that one obligatory Leaguer that annoys Bruce is still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"