Days of Future Past Jennifer Lawrence/Mystique: Oscar Winner Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
So she was about Xavier and Magneto's age Late 20s early 30s, but looked 14-16? Interesting, surprised Mags didn't jump on that in the bedroom scene lol.
it was also said that she ages slowly, so...

though, I would still say she was a few years younger then Charles
(and he definitely treated her like she was much younger)

like anytime they were at a bar together, he would always just always order her a coke (instead of letting her drink)
I guess, this might of also been out of fear that she couldn't control her power, if she got drunk (now that I think of it)

it was also said that she ages slowly, so...

though, I would still say she was a few years younger then Charles
(and he definitely treated her like she was much younger)

like anytime they were at a bar together, he would always just always order her a coke (instead of letting her drink)
I guess, this might of also been out of fear that she couldn't control her power, if she got drunk (now that I think of it)

Yeah, I know they said that, but apparently Mags didn't get the memo that she was actually around his age given his comment.

Also, I like to think of her being the same age if at the very most 1 or 2 years younger than Charles, because her exchange with Charles at 10 shows she is around his age.

I agree with you about Charles ordering cokes for her when at the bar because maybe she wouldn't be able to control her powers, or because she just looked young.

Yeah, I know they said that, but apparently Mags didn't get the memo that she was actually around his age given his comment.
I don't think it was necessarily about her just looking physically immature, but, about her still being immature (especially when it comes to her insecurities about her looks, and feeling the need to hide her true form...)

I don't think it was necessarily about her just looking physically immature, but, about her still being immature (especially when it comes to her insecurities about her looks, and feeling the need to hide her true form...)

Yeah, I got that. Just saying Jennifer Lawrence is fine, would have thrown the whole she's insecure about her looks and hiding her true form out the window lol and got bizzzaayy!!!:woot:

I was surprised at how they portrayed Mystique. Going by the original trilogy, I would never have guessed that Xavier and Mystique were so close. But then I was thinking:

what if Xavier mind wipes Mystique down the line like he mind wiped Moira? I mean what if something so horrific happens that Xavier has no choice but to wipe her mind for her own sake? It would also explain what was the non event when mother and son met each other in X2.

A mindwipe could make everything fit, but it seems kind of lazy from a writers standpoint.

Her relationship (and later non-relationship) with Charles doesn't bother me like it did at first, because although they spend a good 10, 15 years together; her relationship with Magneto by the original film would be approaching 40 years.

Her relationship (and later non-relationship) with Charles doesn't bother me like it did at first, because although they spend a good 10, 15 years together; her relationship with Magneto by the original film would be approaching 40 years.

You don't lose that brother/sister love, even if decades have gone by estranged. They may have spent a small time in each other's lives, but it was a significant time.

*shrugs* 40 years of estrangement is enough for me not to feel odd about their lack of contact later on. Luckily the films provide no opportunity for the pair to interact anyway.

Jennifer Lawrence was amazing in this film and definitely a highlight for me.

Just a quick question- why was Mystique limping at the end when walking towards Eric/Charles?

She wasn't really limping... it was just a dramatic "WHAT DO I DO?" walk...

I guess you missed the part when the jet crashed into a fireball and did like two 360's onto the beach. :woot:

Nope, I didnt miss that. She was not limping after that. Ive seen the movie 5 times, she is definitely limping right before the choose Eric/Charles scene.

You don't lose that brother/sister love, even if decades have gone by estranged. They may have spent a small time in each other's lives, but it was a significant time.
Well, Raven kind of lost that 10-year connection over the course of one day and it didn't seem to bother her that much that she was leaving behind her gravely wounded brother, so I would guess that five minutes before they teleported away from the beach she would be "Charles who?!" :whatever:

Unless the writers decide to offer some kind of explanation in the next film, I think it was pretty much settled that Raven wouldn't give a damn about her relationship with Charles anymore.

I guess we saw different films.

I would like to know your explanation for Raven suddenly leaving, then. Instead of just you jumping on me for everything I say here.

I would like to know your explanation for Raven suddenly leaving, then. Instead of just you jumping on me for everything I say here.

It was obvious from their first scene together in the bar that their relationship had major problems. Even with Hank, she mentions how Charles "never understands". Their whole storyline in the film is how their relationship is slowly disintegrating. Every scene McAvoy and Lawrence has is an argument... It's not like they had this amazingly perfect relationship the entire film and she SEDDENLY turns on him in the end (she actually doesn't turn on him at all, actually... he tells her to leave, and she kisses his forehead...).

I really don't understand why you keep making things personal. I'm sorry I even spoke in the first place. Jeez.

Well, Raven kind of lost that 10-year connection over the course of one day and it didn't seem to bother her that much that she was leaving behind her gravely wounded brother, so I would guess that five minutes before they teleported away from the beach she would be "Charles who?!" :whatever:

Unless the writers decide to offer some kind of explanation in the next film, I think it was pretty much settled that Raven wouldn't give a damn about her relationship with Charles anymore.

Maybe something in a sequel happens which causes Raven to completely cut any emotional ties to Charles.

Just a theory: Maybe Mystique and Azazel get into a relationship, form a bond and she gets pregnant with Kurt. Magneto, seeing this as a potential problem (don't know why exactly), could have Azazel killed, unbeknownst to Raven, and then pin it on Charles. Raven accuses Charles of killing her lover, along the lines of thinking, "Well, you could have not let Erik kill Shaw, but you did anyway; maybe you wanted him dead, too. Who's to say you wouldn't kill another of our kind just to get achieve 'world peace'?"

It would also put her attack on Charles in an interesting light. It could be shown as trying to get back at him for what she thinks he did to her.

It seemed pretty apparent through the film that the friendship between Xavier and Raven is a tiny bit strained because they are different. She has to hide, he doesn't. He cares, but he doesn't really understand.

As she grows up, and becomes a teenager obsessed with appearance and sexuality and feeling attractive and feeling wanted and fitting in, the gap between them grows wider.

Magneto encourages her to be true to herself, with the scene where she is giving blood, with the scene with the weight-lifting bar and with the bedroom scene she has with Erik. She decided to be 'free' and, seeing how humans turn on them, she makes her choice to side with Erik and not stay with Charles.

It was done in a heartbreaking manner, not a callous one. It was a touching moment. At the time she and Magneto and the others left, they didn't know Charles was paralysed, just that he was injured. And he encouraged her to go with Magneto, he told her it was what she should do.

I'm not sure why you are seeing things that aren't there and not seeing the things that are there!

It was obvious from their first scene together in the bar that their relationship had major problems. Even with Hank, she mentions how Charles "never understands". Their whole storyline in the film is how their relationship is slowly disintegrating.
All relationships have problems. I saw nothing too tragic or dramatic going on. Yes, she had issues. Yes, he was probably still thinking of her as this little girl he should protect and failed to see her as a grown-up adult who wanted to follow a different path. All in all, nothing different from all the families I know.

Every scene McAvoy and Lawrence has is an argument...
Hmm, so we saw different films after all. Raven was actually quite happy and proud of Charles when he received his professorship. She acted out of jealousy when he was flirting with the "mutant" girl in the pub, but it was all cute and a very brother-sister thing to do. When Charles showed his house she again leaned on him in a very cute, "sisterly" way.
But then a guy she barely knows compares her to a tiger and it's all over? "Oh yes, I never knew how much I hated Charles until this guy came to set me free!" :huh:
I just wanted a good explanation as why she thought Erik's way was the best way and the path she should follow. Because either she was in a terrible, abusive relationship with Charles - but we don't get this from the film - or she left as a plot device to make Magneto be the cool character, the one we should relate to.

It's not like they had this amazingly perfect relationship the entire film and she SEDDENLY turns on him in the end (she actually doesn't turn on him at all, actually... he tells her to leave, and she kisses his forehead...).
I think it's quite obvious she was growing apart from Charles, but she still loved him. And why wouldn't she? I never said it was perfect (does it exist, really?), but it wasn't awful and horrible enough to make her leave at that precise moment when he needed her the most.

Yes, Charles told her to leave. But Magneto called her first, as if her brother's life wouldn't mean anything to her. Like he had already decided for her. And then Raven walks towards Charles all limping, as if she had this obligation to go to him, not that she really wanted to go. It was so weird that scene. I wonder why people think it was cool for her to leave Charles like that. That she would eventually leave him - in another film - is perfectly okay with me, but not at that moment.

I really don't understand why you keep making things personal. I'm sorry I even spoke in the first place. Jeez.
I keep making things personal?! I wasn't addressing any of your comments, but since I have a different perspective you keep trying to make me look like an idiot. So it's you who make things personal here.

It seemed pretty apparent through the film that the friendship between Xavier and Raven is a tiny bit strained because they are different. She has to hide, he doesn't. He cares, but he doesn't really understand.

As she grows up, and becomes a teenager obsessed with appearance and sexuality and feeling attractive and feeling wanted and fitting in, the gap between them grows wider.

Magneto encourages her to be true to herself, with the scene where she is giving blood, with the scene with the weight-lifting bar and with the bedroom scene she has with Erik. She decided to be 'free' and, seeing how humans turn on them, she makes her choice to side with Erik and not stay with Charles.

It was done in a heartbreaking manner, not a callous one. It was a touching moment. At the time she and Magneto and the others left, they didn't know Charles was paralysed, just that he was injured. And he encouraged her to go with Magneto, he told her it was what she should do.

I'm not sure why you are seeing things that aren't there and not seeing the things that are there!

Interesting musings, but if that happened I'd expect Mystique to have blind hatred for Charles. To want to kill him at every opportunity. To scoff with anger every time Magneto refers to the brilliance of Charles in the original trilogy.

But she doesn't, all she displays towards Charles in the original trilogy is indifference.

She doesn't display anything towards him because they have zero scenes together. . .

Hmm, so we saw different films after all. Raven was actually quite happy and proud of Charles when he received his professorship. She acted out of jealousy when he was flirting with the "mutant" girl in the pub, but it was all cute and a very brother-sister thing to do. When Charles showed his house she again leaned on him in a very cute, "sisterly" way.
But then a guy she barely knows compares her to a tiger and it's all over? "Oh yes, I never knew how much I hated Charles until this guy came to set me free!" :huh:
I just wanted a good explanation as why she thought Erik's way was the best way and the path she should follow. Because either she was in a terrible, abusive relationship with Charles - but we don't get this from the film - or she left as a plot device to make Magneto be the cool character, the one we should relate to.

That wasn't the point of the scene. I think Vaughn wanted to leave off more or less where X1 began in case there wasn't a sequel, which was why Eric's and Mystique's relationship felt a bit rushed.

Interesting musings, but if that happened I'd expect Mystique to have blind hatred for Charles. To want to kill him at every opportunity. To scoff with anger every time Magneto refers to the brilliance of Charles in the original trilogy.

Why would you expect that?

A choice to be herself doesn't have to lead to 'blind hatred' and a desire to kill him.

That's a bizarre and totally illogical train of thought.

But she doesn't, all she displays towards Charles in the original trilogy is indifference.

She never interacts with Charles at all in the original trilogy. The only action against him is to disable Cerebro which leads to him being incapacitated.

I liked how she had a crush on beast and was so impressed with his technological skills. I feel as if he had a role in her computer / tech interest which turned to more as seen in the first two movies.

( knows cerebro, flies helicopters, William strykers computer hacking, strykers base computers, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"