Jeremy Slater

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Gabe99, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Gabe99 Registered

THR 7/13/2012:

'Fantastic Four' Reboot Ramps Up with Writer Jeremy Slater (HEAT VISION Exclusive)

From io9:
    2012’s List of Best Unproduced Screenplays Is Full of Amazing Science Fiction Ideas

2. mclay18 Registered

Well, it looks like Fox chose their new F4 writer well.

3. Gabe99 Registered

What Was FANTASTIC FOUR Like Before Simon Kinberg?
    A look at an early draft of the movie.
    What happens to Slater now?

4. justanotherguy Registered

excellent bump

5. Drz Real Hero

Still hoping this gets leaked somewhere. :p

6. Eddie Registered

It will. I've come to realize that this film shares a great deal in common with Super Mario Bros. The Movie (which was also a highly troubled production). SMB inexplicably gained a diehard small fanbase that tracked down a great deal of the early material, including a few versions of the script. Give it a couple of decades. We'll know more about this film than we do about friggin' Casablanca.

7. Gabe99 Registered

‘Fantastic Four’ Screenwriter Jeremy Slater Reveals Details about His Original Draft
    If the studio had followed Slater’s script, we would have gotten a very different ‘Fantastic Four’.

8. Willie Lumpkin Trophy Husband

Sounds more interesting, but I'd have to read the script to determine if it was really good. There are a lot things in that description that still bother me and it still feels like he was trying to 'reinvent' the Fantastic Four. Sounds like that version just threw a whole bunch of stuff on the screen and may have made completely different mistakes than Trank while still not being a great film.

We didn't need Dr. Doom and Moleman and Annihilus all in one film to start. We just needed a good story, and that many villains plus an origin story sounds like it might have been a complete mess.

9. Gabe99 Registered

^Part one of a trilogy.

10. DrCosmic Professor of Power

Actually... every great origin movie needs three villains:
    The main: This is the main bad guy, you can only have one.
    The lieutenant: Someone (or something) who extends the main villain's power/influence.
    The early victory: Some early challenge won, either slaying a "monster", or winning over a "friend". Several of these can replace the need for a Lt. and if the faceless goons or superweapon have enough autonomy, they can play this role as well.

Batman Begins: Ra's, Scarcrow, Carmine Falcone
    Iron Man: Stane, Raja, Air Force
    The First Avenger: Red Skull, Arnim Zola, Chester Phillips
    Thor: Loki, Frost Giants/Destroyer, SHIELD
    Incredible Hulk: Ross, Sterns, Blonsky (though he switches back and forth with Sterns)
    Deadpool: Ajax, Angel Dust, Colossus
    X-Men First Class: Sebastian Shaw, Azazel, White Queen
    X-Men 2000: Magneto, The Brotherhood, Senator Kelly
    Spider-Man: Green Goblin, No Lt., Bonesaw McGraw/Carjacker/Flash Thompson
    Ant-Man: Yellowjacket, No Lt., Step-dad/Falcon/Pym
    The Incredibles: Syndrome, Omnidroid, Bomb Voyage/Early Omnidroids
    Guardians of the Galaxy: Ronan, Nebula, Korath
    The Matrix: Agent Smith, Other Agents, Morpheus
    Star Wars: Moff Tarkin, Darth Vader, The Empire/Death Star/Stormtroopers

You can see that films can tweak the ideas a bit, switching a few things around and still work, and the classic films do get creative with this formula, but if this draft of FF used them as such: Doom as the main villain, Annihilus as his lietennant, in the sense that he fights the heroes early on and the main villain utilizes his power for the climax, with Moleman as an early victory, which is precisely what he described, then Slater's FF would be in line with a classic orign story film.

Films like The Amazing Spider-Man 2 didn't use "too many villains" it just didn't know who was the climactic villain, and trying to build to two climaxes creates a disjointed divided and/or confused movie. The Dark Knight handled this brilliantly by understanding that Maroni, The Banker and Scarecrow were early victories, removed from the playing field before Act II ended. Even better, Two Face was a denouement villain. The climax was done, and his fall was intended to be thematic and inevitable, not spectacular, and it worked. Spider-Man 3 didn't even have the decency to make one of its three villains a denouement villain like TASM 2 did with Rhino.

I'd be much less inclined to put faith in a screenplay idea that only had Moleman as supposedly taking on the whole of the FF, and though my take would be more Annihilus/Blastar/Moleman than Doom/Annihilus/Moleman that Slater suggests, I can't say it would be a bad film, and it would also put the FF on track to going to the stars for the sequel with maybe Galactus/Terrax/Silver Surfer, which, imho, is long overdue. Of course, then you kind of wonder where to go for a threequel to such a film series. I suppose it depends on who has the Skrulls or the Super Skrull doesn't it, because you could do Veranke/Kl'rt/Lyja Lightfist. And honestly, the FF deserves to be a Quadrilogy, both thematically and otherwise, so perhaps The Frightful Four? Hyperstorm? Mad Thinker? Or, you get the idea, all of the above.

11. Dr Tactics Ill Brova

A budget requiring a REAL FF Films like what Mr Slater (Or even Dr Cosmic) was imagining would never get greenlit so.......

12. DrCosmic Professor of Power

^True... but then again... I like to tell myself I could even have used the assets we saw in Fant4stic much better.