The OFFICIAL Mole Man/Tim Blake Nelson Thread

Side note: Am I the only one who thinks New Orleans is kind of a weird place to shoot a Fantastic Four movie (having never actually been there myself, just in concept)?

Side note: Am I the only one who thinks New Orleans is kind of a weird place to shoot a Fantastic Four movie (having never actually been there myself, just in concept)?

Yeah, I've been to both Baton Rouge and New Orleans and they're nothing like NYC, but apparently Baton Rouge is building a lot of film infrastructure and they're trying to attract productions.

And then, Vancouver doesn't look like NYC either, but they pulled it off with the previous films. I suspect this film probably won't feature New York very prominently.

But the food an music are great. If I had to spend a few months someplace, I wouldn't mind that area . . . though not in summer.

Yeah, I've been to both Baton Rouge and New Orleans and they're nothing like NYC, but apparently Baton Rouge is building a lot of film infrastructure and they're trying to attract productions.

And then, Vancouver doesn't look like NYC either, but they pulled it off with the previous films. I suspect this film probably won't feature New York very prominently.

But the food an music are great. If I had to spend a few months someplace, I wouldn't mind that area . . . though not in summer.

According to Wikipedia, the Louisiana location is supposed to represent not New York, but "Central City, Califonia", Reed Richards' hometown and birthplace in the comics. So I guess we're probably going to see some of Reed's childhood in this.

I'm surprised no one's complaining that he isn't short/fat/squareheaded enough.

Although he is kinda short...

I'm surprised no one's complaining that he isn't short/fat/squareheaded enough.

Although he is kinda short...

Personally, I just figured they'll probably just add some effects/makeup to make him look more mole-like.

Here is a good question, how should Mole Man be characterized in this film? I find Mole Man kinda of a one note character in the 616 universe, he seems to want revenge on the world because a few women who were out of his league didn't go out with him and his boss fired him for being ugly. You think he could have lowered his standards a bit or sued his boss or something. Neither the women nor the boss are developed enough to provide any real meat to Mole Man's back story, if there was a particular woman who broken his heart in a particularly cruel way, that would provide more depth. Nora Fries has more developed then those back ground characters and she is just a woman in a chronological stasis tube.

At least in the Ultimate Universe, he had a reason to hate the US government, so he had a particular grudge against a particular party who he felt had wronged him, rather then wanting on the wold because of the actions of a few, that motive would have only worked if Mole Man is supposed to be a psychopathic monster. Is Mole Man supposed to be a sympathetic villain or a psychopathic monster?

Also I liked the creepy obsession Ultimate Mole Man had with Sue. The problem with 616 Mole Man is, their are hardly any issues that explore his character, rather then having him engage in generic super villain plots. Heck, Mark Waid was the first person in a long time to have a story where we get to see what makes Mole Man tick, but he did it in an issue of DD, in a story that is so tied to DD it doesn't work as a FF story.

I actually think Mole Man is a good starter villain for the FF, I wouldn't mind Doom just being in the background, manipulating things, but he needs more characterization then he generally gets in the 616 comics to carry a movie.

I hope the next film deals with Monster Island. Why not? The FF won't get to fight Godzilla, so they might as well go with the kaijus they have access to.

I hope Nelson's skills aren't wasted. He's also a writer and director, so he may have some insight on how to develop his character's arc.

Very smart of Fox to set up Harvey in this film to be the Mole Man in a future film, just like they teased Galactus with the promise of his reveal in the solo Surfer movie; yes, very smart...or crazy like a Fox...

So by taking this role is TBN persona non grata at Marvel in terms of a future role as the Leader going forward?

Very smart of Fox to set up Harvey in this film to be the Mole Man in a future film, just like they teased Galactus with the promise of his reveal in the solo Surfer movie; yes, very smart...or crazy like a Fox...

The thing is I think Mole Man works far better as a starter villain, then a sequel villain, so I think setting him up for a sequel is a good idea.

Going from Doom to Mole Man really seems like lower the stakes, while going from Mole Man to Doom is raising the stakes.

So by taking this role is TBN persona non grata at Marvel in terms of a future role as the Leader going forward?

I doubt it. Actors need work. They've cast actors that have done other comic franchise and MCU actors have taken roles in other comic franchises. That's just the nature of working actors. If Joss Whedon had done this film instead of Avengers: Age of Ultron it may have been different.

I don't think so and I don't think he was that guy that Reed was talking to at the end of the teaser.

The thing is I think Mole Man works far better as a starter villain, then a sequel villain, so I think setting him up for a sequel is a good idea.

Going from Doom to Mole Man really seems like lower the stakes, while going from Mole Man to Doom is raising the stakes.

So you mean a man who rules over the homeless spurned subway dwellers, monstrous Moloids and GIGANTO!!! is somehow a low stakes villain? I can't agree with you there. Giganto alone makes him a threat.

Did anyone see the trailer for this movie Cut Bank? The villain looks like Mole Man.

[YT]uvavIfjTDaE[/YT]

So you mean a man who rules over the homeless spurned subway dwellers, monstrous Moloids and GIGANTO!!! is somehow a low stakes villain? I can't agree with you there. Giganto alone makes him a threat.

Mole Man could be a big villain in film... just with those moloids and the whole Subterrenea set-up.

Pretty sure we won't see mole man in the movie. He is being set up as mole man for future sequels if this movie is successful.

Something just hit me. Will Anihilus, Terrax and Terminus also be former co-workers of the FF in this continuity?

Something just hit me. Will Anihilus, Terrax and Terminus also be former co-workers of the FF in this continuity?

Lets hope not since one of the worst things about the ASM films is that everything and everyone are connected to OsCorp.

Lets hope not since one of the worst things about the ASM films is that everything and everyone are connected to OsCorp.

But you can't shake the image of Terrax sitting behind a desk at the Baxter Building and NOBODY realizes that he's an alien rock monster. That's an inherently funny image. It's even funnier if he's in a suit and tie and it manages to fool everyone around him despite his appearance and him not even bothering with an alias.

Yes!

The tendency to try to tie all these things together is something of a pet-peeve with me (In Smallville everything was tied to the meteor storm, in Flash, everything is tied to the Star-Labs accident, in Arrow, everything is tied to the Island, in X-Men, it's pretty much all Magneto all the time etc. etc. etc.). How about some stories that allow these characters to branch out and face threats from different sources?

And that's a big problem I have with the this new film and the reliance on UFF. I feel like Doom and Moleman are going to be tied to the FF through the Baxter institute and their mission to the 'N-Zone'.

I made a joke in another thread about Moleman using monsters to attack other militaries but after the way the trailer had the military using the Thing. I could see him substituting the Thing with his own creations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"