Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 2

Finished it last night and all I can say is that I guess there are worse ways this show could have ended. The final episode was pretty solid as far as closure goes, although I could definitely tell they wanted to leave it open to doing more seasons. Ritter's performance throughout this season is easily the biggest highlight IMO. She is a truly talented actress, but it's sad to me that they didn't give her better material to work with. I just thought this season was so meh overall even though I got some entertainment out of it, especially towards the end. The first half was a real slog though and I still believe that the amount of padding to this season was just unnecessary.

This should have been 8 to 10 episodes max.

Sorry; it probably wasn't the right thing to do to pop in here and trash it. To be fair, I've watched the previous seasons so it's not like I don't know the show but you're probably right in that I didn't give this one a fair shake. I wasn't into what I saw but perhaps I'll give it another shot before I write it off.
You're fine. No need to apologize.
If the first episode didn't grab you? Then it didn't grab you. You have no obligation to finish it to give an opinion like the one you gave. You didn't even say it was trash. Plus, you were just saying what didn't work for you. You weren't giving an advanced critique on the whole season.
You're whole thing about how it's going out bad, seems more to me like "This show used to be so good, but now it can't even grab me in the first episode of a season" It's not speaking to saying the whole season is poor.
Spider-Fan's whole grilled cheese analogy doesn't even make sense because you tried unlike what they said in the analogy. A better one would be: you took a bite, couldn't even swallow it, spit it out, and didn't finish. You don't have to finish a whole sandwich or meal to say that it's not for you. And you don't need to finish a whole episode or a whole season to say whether a TV show is good to you. For sure there are some shows that have a poor start, but get better. But I don't think anyone should be blamed for not wanting to take the 4-13 hour trip to find out

So I don't know why anyone is mad about what you said. But it seems that some of the posters who complained to you are the ones who said they loved the season...so there's that.

Last edited:
You're fine. No need to apologize.
If the first episode didn't grab you? Then it didn't grab you. You have no obligation to finish it to give an opinion like the one you gave. You didn't even say it was trash. You were just saying what didn't work for you. You weren't giving an advanced critique on the whole season.
You're whole thing about how it's going out bad, seems more to me like "This show used to be so good, but now it can't even grab me in the first episode of a season" It's not speaking to saying the whole season is poor.
Spider-Fan's whole grilled cheese analogy doesn't even make sense because you tried. A better one would be that you took a bite, couldn't even swallow it, spit it out, and didn't finish. You don't have to finish a whole sandwich or meal to say that it's not for you

So I don't know why anyone is mad about what you said. But it seems that some of the posters who complained to you are the ones who said they loved the season...so there's that.

You can say something like that, yes. But points such as this show ended the characters in a poor direction or fumbled them is not something you really can say with an informed opinion unless you see where the story ends. I doubt he'd like the season given it didn't grab him in 1 episode, and I even stated that in my reply post. But calling a finale you didn't watch garbage just doesn't make sense to me. You can freely say "I have no interest in the finale since the 1st episode of the season didn't grab me" and that is a fair point to make if that's how you feel. I never said there was anything wrong with that opinion. I took issue with critiquing the finale itself.

You can say something like that, yes. But points such as this show ended the characters in a poor direction or fumbled them is not something you really can say with an informed opinion unless you see where the story ends. I doubt he'd like the season given it didn't grab him in 1 episode, and I even stated that in my reply post. But calling a finale you didn't watch garbage just doesn't make sense to me. You can freely say "I have no interest in the finale since the 1st episode of the season didn't grab me" and that is a fair point to make if that's how you feel. I never said there was anything wrong with that opinion. I took issue with critiquing the finale itself.
In the post you quoted he never said that the show ended the characters in a poor direction. He said he didn't like the direction they were taking with them from what he's scene so far. And you don't have to finish a season to say I don't like where this is going. And he didn't call anything garbage. He also never mentioned the finale or the quality of it. I don't know where you saw that in the post you mentioned unless he stealth edited it or I'm missing it
All he said from what I'm read is: From what I've seen of the first episode, this season is starting off bad and I don't know if I'm going to finish. This sucks because the first season was so good, but it's going out bad for me.

Nothing about the finale or anything being garbage, nothing about the show ending in a poor direction.
And again, you don't have to eat a whole dish to know if it's not for you. I saw your response before I read his quote and I assumed he was saying something along the lines of "This show sucks" without having ever watched it, but that's not what he's saying at all

In the post you quoted he never said that the show ended the characters in a poor direction. He said he didn't like the direction they were taking with them from what he's scene so far. And you don't have to finish a season to say I don't like where this is going. And he didn't call anything garbage. He also never mentioned the finale or the quality of it. I don't know where you saw that in the post you mentioned unless he stealth edited it or I'm missing it
All he said from what I'm read is: This season is starting off bad and I don't know if I'm going to finish. This sucks because the first season was so good, but it's going out bad for me.

Nothing about the finale or anything being garbage, nothing about the show ending in a poor direction.
And again, you don't have to eat a whole dish to know if it's not for you. I saw your response before I read his quote and I assumed he was saying something along the lines of "This show sucks" without having ever watched it, but that's not what he's saying at all

I am not going to quote his post and do a break down point by point, but he did call various storylines laughable and such (falls under garbage to me) and I think that is off to do given he watched 1 episode and didn't follow the story to see where it went. Once again, I don't disagree with the notion that he has to watch the whole thing to know it is not for him. We agree there. I have never said he did. But saying Plotline X is laughable I see as being off base because you didn't see where it went. Therefore your opinion is uninformed. I don't see a flaw in my logic.

I am not going to quote his post and do a break down point by point, but he did call various storylines laughable and such (falls under garbage to me) and I think that is off to do given he watched 1 episode and didn't follow the story to see where it went. Once again, I don't disagree with the notion that he has to watch the whole thing to know it is not for him. We agree there. I have never said he did. But saying Plotline X is laughable I see as being off base because you didn't see where it went. Therefore your opinion is uninformed. I don't see a flaw in my logic.
He called them bad from what he has seen so far. Not the they're definitively bad for the whole season.

And I would understand if he was saying something like "This season is bad" but he's not saying that at all.

I don't have to watch all of Tranformers Revenge of the Fallen to say "Shia LaBeouf's story is laughable." I don't have to watch all of Breaking Bad to know that Marie's shoplifting storyline was "laughable"

There's plenty of flaw in your logic because you keep acting like he bashed the whole season from not even watching the first episode when that's not what happened at all. He prefaced everything he said by saying he didn't watch past a certain part of the first episode, he only referenced things he actually saw...I don't see a problem at all because as you said you don't have to necessarily watch a full season to say what works for you and what doesnt

EDIT: I think what is happening/happened is because he didn't say: "From what I saw, Trish storyline is laughable, this/that, etc."
From what he said about only seeing part of it, it is my understanding that he's only reacting to what he saw. Which is not an indictment or review of the whole season

Last edited:
Yeah, I was only judging what I saw in the first episode. It just didn’t work for me, and it made me reluctant to continue watching the rest of the season. I can’t say anything about the finale because I didn’t watch it. And yeah, maybe Trish’s storyline and other things get better as the season go on. All I meant was that from what I saw, they weren’t improving. Trish has always been a so-so character to me, and what they did with her last season really rubbed me the wrong way. And at least from what I saw here, it seem like they were continuing on that route. Anyway, for those that really liked this season, that’s great. I haven’t even closed the book on it yet; I may ultimately revisit it at some point and see if maybe I like it better when I’m in a different mindset. But from what I saw, I just wasn’t feeling it. That’s all. Season 1 is still up there for me though with the best seasons of superhero TV ever.

I'd have been fine with Trish's arc if she were only sent to a regular prison instead of the Raft.

Me on Trish's character for the first 5 episodes :funny:
200.gif

Oh well...if Marvel Studios is bringing this property back, I guess I have to actually watch season 3.

S2 was a bit rocky but it had some really good moments and I loved S1 and S3 full-stop so I’d definitely be down for more. Though I’d be even more worried about the “Disneyfication” of this than I would be with Daredevil, tbh.

I also say let Ritter be behind the camera more.

Hopefully, if they do bring back Jessica Jones in some form, they actually make it an episodic procedural. Though I suppose the six episode count standard would probably also avoid the pacing problems.

Hopefully, if they do bring back Jessica Jones in some form, they actually make it an episodic procedural. Though I suppose the six episode count standard would probably also avoid the pacing problems.
I think it would work best as a detective story, which, to me means it should be long-form telling, but I agree fewer episodes would be better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"