Jessica Jones Jessica Jones General Discussion Thread - Part 2

I hope it finishes strong.

Count me among those that thought season two was a messy, unfocused and uninteresting slog.

Just finished season 3. Better than season 2 but not as good as the first.

I'm only 8 episodes in, but I'm quite liking it so far. But then I also enjoyed S2 so I guess this show just gets me, lol.

Enjoyed this season so much more than S2.

The ending was left open and part of me hopes Disney does pick it up with JJs original cast but thats a long shot

Thanks to the first three episodes, I am now craving burgers.

5 episodes done, love it so far

Cool. I need to start this.

While it didn't have a finale that felt like a near-ideal series finale like DD S3 did, imo, I still feel like it finished strong.

Last edited:
Great season, glad it was left open ended. Going to miss the show.

While I didn't find it as terrible as the previous season, it surely suffered from some of the things that always seemed to be a problem for me, both in this show and some of the other Netflix/Marvel shows. Quality drop as the plot drags throughout the season, uninspired villain, unnecessary side stories, secondary characters with no particular purpose other than to fill in the 13-episode gap and above all poor writing and dialogues. I like some of the themes and places it tried to go in theory but everything felt so forced. Jessica Jones herself was great and Ritter for sure was the highlight of the show. I'm also curious as to where it would have gone with some of the characters and plot developments in the next season had it not been cancelled but I'm honestly glad it's over.

I'm like 4 episodes in and while I'm not hating it or anything if I wasn't such a completest I honestly don't know if I would even bother finishing it. It's painfully slow so far, and it already feels like they really decided to pad this season out with so many uninteresting and unnecessary subplots.

It will definitely take me some time to finish this one, and I'm in no real rush.

I am eager to finish it, just today doesn't exactly put me in the right mood to continue watching it.

I started the first episode and turned it off at the scene where she’s talking to Ben Walker in a bar. I honestly don’t know if I’m going to try and finish it. It feels like they don’t know where to go with any of it. Trish’s storyline is laughable. Rebecca de Mornay is wasted as a caricature of a stage mom. Then we have Malcolm feeling crappy about his role as a fixer (yawn) and Hogarth trying to rekindle things with an old flame she hasn’t seen in decades (double yawn). Jessica is okay but this show has always been hampered by a bland supporting cast; Hogarth is the only secondary character that’s interesting and even she’s become boring. I don’t know. Maybe I’m being too hard on this show simply because Marvel’s Netflix universe is dead and watching this just feels pointless now. But season 2 was so mediocre and this one is starting off even worse. Such as shame because the first season is one of the best ever in superhero television, and Kilgrave might be THE best TV supervillain ever. Shame to see it go out with a wet fart.

I started the first episode and turned it off at the scene where she’s talking to Ben Walker in a bar. I honestly don’t know if I’m going to try and finish it. It feels like they don’t know where to go with any of it. Trish’s storyline is laughable. Rebecca de Mornay is wasted as a caricature of a stage mom. Then we have Malcolm feeling crappy about his role as a fixer (yawn) and Hogarth trying to rekindle things with an old flame she hasn’t seen in decades (double yawn). Jessica is okay but this show has always been hampered by a bland supporting cast; Hogarth is the only secondary character that’s interesting and even she’s become boring. I don’t know. Maybe I’m being too hard on this show simply because Marvel’s Netflix universe is dead and watching this just feels pointless now. But season 2 was so mediocre and this one is starting off even worse. Such as shame because the first season is one of the best ever in superhero television, and Kilgrave might be THE best TV supervillain ever. Shame to see it go out with a wet fart.

Benjamin Walker is a really solid actor, and I was surprised to see him in this, but even his character doesn't feel all that necessary so far. I have to agree with you about Carrie-Ann Moss and Rebecca de Mornay though. It feels like its the same repetitive stuff every season with their characters and honestly at this point I think I'm just kind of bored of it. The guy playing the new villain this season isn't bad though, but he ain't no Kilgrave either.

That's quite a claim for someone who didn't even watch a whole episode.

Fair enough but if something can’t hold my interest for a full episode, I doubt I’m going to enjoy a full season.

Fair enough but if something can’t hold my interest for a full episode, I doubt I’m going to enjoy a full season.
Agreed, it just sounds like you had your mind made up about it before you ever pressed play. There's nothing in those first 20 minutes that wasn't true with every one of these shows - they all do quite a bit of "catching up with the characters" and setup/groundwork-laying in their first few eps.

Agreed, it just sounds like you had your mind made up about it before you ever pressed play. There's nothing in those first 20 minutes that wasn't true with every one of these shows - they all do quite a bit of "catching up with the characters" and setup/groundwork-laying in their first few eps.

I might have, it’s true... maybe just because of the way that this universe is ending, I’m just sort of down on the whole thing. I think the Trish stuff just felt so silly and poorly done that it made it hard to take anything seriously. Does that get any better?

I might have, it’s true... maybe just because of the way that this universe is ending, I’m just sort of down on the whole thing. I think the Trish stuff just felt so silly and poorly done that it made it hard to take anything seriously. Does that get any better?
Without getting spoilery, I'll just say Trish remains annoying as **** with her high horse and rationale throughout the whole thing, that doesn't change. But I was satisfied with how it played out because it wasn't unintentional on the writers' part. They're clearly aware of her issues.

But also, I wasn't being sarcastic earlier when I said I agreed with you - if you couldn't make it through one episode then there's probably no point in trying to power through. The show is what it is, and that's what it's always been. If you don't want to see more of that, then I wouldn't recommend wasting your time.

It's like the consensus on RT says: S3 has some good storytelling, but it's not the "Marvel/Netflix grand finale" that some people want it to be. Probably because it wasn't intended to be that. JJ has always been the least-"superhero-y" show of that 'verse - it's a drama about the various forms and effects of trauma (sometimes in a scary-accurate way) which just so happens to be told with people with powers - and that's what it continues to be. And on THOSE merits, I think it finishes strong.

Last edited:
I can't really blame you. I'm 2 episodes in, and even though i do plan to finish it, I'm in no rush. Not only because it's all over for Marvel Netflix but because it hit me during the 1st episode just how much I've come to dislike these characters, except for Jessica herself. Everyone else is a chore to watch.

I'm sorry man, but it seems foolish to come into a thread and whine about how awful the show ended when you didn't even watch a full episode of the season. How can make such a claim when you're opinion on the finale is uninformed due to not watching it? It'd be like me talking about how awful Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are if I had never tried them in my life. I am not saying you need to watch the show or even like it, but before you write a critique of how awful something is point for point, make an effort to inform yourself by actually watching it. I doubt if you couldn't make it through 1 episode that you'd like the season as a whole, so for you in this case it probably isn't worth the effort. I would agree with you on that point. But without watching the season, you really can't have an advanced critique on it by that same token.

Last edited:
I finished it last night really late. All in all, I loved this season. This show is very emotionally complex, and this season kept that going. I would agree that this isn't the "ending" to the Netflix Marvel that people likely want, but Jessica Jones has always been a smaller show in regards to scale. It was never designed to conclude Netflix Marvel. But as a conclusion to Jessica Jones the show, I think it was great.

I do hope these all come back via Hulu in a couple years, though.

I binged S3 over the weekend and found it notably better than S2. @Filmfreak hit on a number of recurring issues that just seem to come with the territory on these offering where it's looking to push the 13 ep slate.

JFC, Trish was getting on my nerves practically from the jump. It wasn't bad acting on Taylor's part or shoddy work by the writers; if anything, it was the opposite. I was surprised the eventual character awareness and resolution there struck me as well as it did. I didn't really care for the subplots re Jeri, Malcolm or Gelden's general involvement. Foolkiller was decent enough and a step up from the previous main antagonist (low bar). It's amazing how much Ritter carried this thing and makes it work.

A solid closeout for the series (I didn't really expect something to close the entire Marvel/Netflix universe), but I'm not really inclined to rewatch anything but S1.

I'm sorry man, but it seems foolish to come into a thread and whine about how awful the show ended when you didn't even watch a full episode of the season. How can make such a claim when you're opinion on the finale is uninformed due to not watching it? It'd be like me talking about how awful Grilled Cheese Sandwiches are if I had never tried them in my life. I am not saying you need to watch the show or even like it, but before you write a critique of how awful something is point for point, make an effort to inform yourself by actually watching it. I doubt if you couldn't make it through 1 episode that you'd like the season as a whole, so for you in this case it probably isn't worth the effort. I would agree with you on that point. But without watching the season, you really can't have an advanced critique on it by that same token.

Sorry; it probably wasn't the right thing to do to pop in here and trash it. To be fair, I've watched the previous seasons so it's not like I don't know the show but you're probably right in that I didn't give this one a fair shake. I wasn't into what I saw but perhaps I'll give it another shot before I write it off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"