Comics JJ Abrams to write Spider-Man?!

His astonishing X-Men run is the only good X-Men run in the last 10 or 15 years, in my opinion. Everything else has been utter garbage, with the small exception of X-Men vs. Avengers. I've tried to read some of the books, but UGH...at some point, they became SO political or SO "intellectual" or such "EVENT BOOKS" that they forgot to just be fun. Then again, that's been Marvel problem for a long time. FIRST: Be fun and good comics. Everything else can be whatever you want it to be, but if no one enjoys it and wants to be the characters, then it's crap.

I'm a white devil, so I never know if a character comes across as genuine or pandering. It's not for me to judge...but she came across as largely unnecessary. I mean, did anything she said need to be said? I felt her sister was more integral to the story, and a deeper character in general, just because of her sacrifice. She could have mentioned her sister in passing before she died, and it would have meant more than anything Rose did. It's not a jab against the actress or anything, I just felt like they didn't have anything meaningful for her to do other than save Finn...who would have been better being saved by Poe, as he was his first friend!

Ahem...

Spider-Man. Not feeling this comic. See, I'm on topic!
I have the A vs X trade but haven't gotten into it yet. Did you not like the X-MEN Marvel Now! stuff? I heard that was pretty good? Immonen on art if I remember correctly. Wasn't it Bendis writing, too? Killer combo. But yes, that's the problem with the last 3ish X-MEN flicks are that to me personally, they've shined way too much light on the political aspect of the X-MEN and social aspect as well. Is that a big part of their storytelling in the comics?

Agreed. They TRIED to give her character "meaning" by having her sister sacrificed in the beginning, but that was sooo tacked on lol. Don't even get me started on what SHOULD'VE been Finn + Poe. Ugh.

Real question: These topics sprung out from talking about the SPIDER-MAN comic. Doesn't this still count as "in-topic"?

I have the A vs X trade but haven't gotten into it yet. Did you not like the X-MEN Marvel Now! stuff? I heard that was pretty good? Immonen on art if I remember correctly. Wasn't it Bendis writing, too? Killer combo. But yes, that's the problem with the last 3ish X-MEN flicks are that to me personally, they've shined way too much light on the political aspect of the X-MEN and social aspect as well. Is that a big part of their storytelling in the comics?

Agreed. They TRIED to give her character "meaning" by having her sister sacrificed in the beginning, but that was sooo tacked on lol. Don't even get me started on what SHOULD'VE been Finn + Poe. Ugh.

Real question: These topics sprung out from talking about the SPIDER-MAN comic. Doesn't this still count as "in-topic"?

I got seriously burned out on Bendis after AVX. Now, Remender did some great stuff in Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force and others. The Marvel Now stuff may have been good, but I just kind of got burned out on a lot around then. I suppose I should have said, "of what I've read", but I guarantee the Whedon Astonishing run is better than all do that stuff.

And as for Finn and Poe, I wasn't one rallying for them to be lovers or anything, but as Finn's FIRST interaction with a human that wasn't a brainwashed soldier or a target, they should have at the LEAST been like brothers-in-arms, or just plain brothers, maybe even more than that. Finn just says, "I'm going on an illogical suicide side mission that is doomed to fail with someone from maintenance, then I'm gonna try to kill myself and accomplish nothing, 'kay?"
And Poe's like..."cool".
Poe in 7 was like, Han + Luke, man! He was the coolest dude in the film. Han was dead, Finn was like a broken man, and then there's Poe. He manages to survive a crash, escape the planet (without alerting the entire First Order to his presence, no less), and show up to bail out Han, Chewie, Finn and BB-8 at the FRONT of the X-Wing Squadron! WHAT?! Totally awesome! Then they relegate him to "hot-head screw-up with no sense of responsibility", and screw up the coolest new character in the trilogy.

Yes, we're on topic. The fact that we're off-topic just shows how BAD the new JJ Spider-Man title is. By being off-topic, it shows that this book isn't engaging longtime readers the way Marvel hoped it would, and we would rather discuss what (we hope) will be JJ's better upcoming work in Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker. ;)

I got seriously burned out on Bendis after AVX. Now, Remender did some great stuff in Uncanny Avengers, Uncanny X-Force and others. The Marvel Now stuff may have been good, but I just kind of got burned out on a lot around then. I suppose I should have said, "of what I've read", but I guarantee the Whedon Astonishing run is better than all do that stuff.

And as for Finn and Poe, I wasn't one rallying for them to be lovers or anything, but as Finn's FIRST interaction with a human that wasn't a brainwashed soldier or a target, they should have at the LEAST been like brothers-in-arms, or just plain brothers, maybe even more than that. Finn just says, "I'm going on an illogical suicide side mission that is doomed to fail with someone from maintenance, then I'm gonna try to kill myself and accomplish nothing, 'kay?"
And Poe's like..."cool".
Poe in 7 was like, Han + Luke, man! He was the coolest dude in the film. Han was dead, Finn was like a broken man, and then there's Poe. He manages to survive a crash, escape the planet (without alerting the entire First Order to his presence, no less), and show up to bail out Han, Chewie, Finn and BB-8 at the FRONT of the X-Wing Squadron! WHAT?! Totally awesome! Then they relegate him to "hot-head screw-up with no sense of responsibility", and screw up the coolest new character in the trilogy.

Yes, we're on topic. The fact that we're off-topic just shows how BAD the new JJ Spider-Man title is. By being off-topic, it shows that this book isn't engaging longtime readers the way Marvel hoped it would, and we would rather discuss what (we hope) will be JJ's better upcoming work in Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker. ;)
I actually didn't realie how recent AvX is! 2012. That's when I picked up comics again. Maybe I'll check out the Marvel Now! stuff and let you know how it is lol.

100% agreed on Finn and Poe. Look, if THEY were the ones to go on the mission on "Cantobyte" in TLJ, I would've been happy. That would've been a natural organic progression from EP7. And Poe is totally the new Han, for sure. I was so mad at TLJ -- and your note about hot head screw up is completely accurate. THat's why I'm suuuuper hesitant on EP9. I'm excited and the trailer looked good to me -- it looked like EP7. But it has a LOT to cover and maybe a lot to fix. Tickets on sale today btw during MNF!

I actually didn't realie how recent AvX is! 2012. That's when I picked up comics again. Maybe I'll check out the Marvel Now! stuff and let you know how it is lol.

100% agreed on Finn and Poe. Look, if THEY were the ones to go on the mission on "Cantobyte" in TLJ, I would've been happy. That would've been a natural organic progression from EP7. And Poe is totally the new Han, for sure. I was so mad at TLJ -- and your note about hot head screw up is completely accurate. THat's why I'm suuuuper hesitant on EP9. I'm excited and the trailer looked good to me -- it looked like EP7. But it has a LOT to cover and maybe a lot to fix. Tickets on sale today btw during MNF!
I'm sending you a loving, bro-hug or high five (your choice) through the interwebs, man. Hoping for the best on this one, too. I didn't hate TLJ (despite how it sounds), but the whole movie is dependent on them sticking the landing on Episode 9. Like, grossly so. The fact Palpatine is in the trailer, yet has only been mentioned ONCE in the past two films (and not as being alive), is a little concerning.

I'll be there opening night regardless, but if it's great, I'll see it more than once.
I mean, it's Star Wars. Even Spider-Man likes Star Wars (ON TOPIC!).

So...Abrams Spider-Man #3 is already pushed back 3 weeks or so, and #4 is pushed back 12 weeks. Talk about taking the steam out of a book that I already wasn't reading. This is like when DC announces they are pushing back Doomsday Clock. Don't care....not reading it anyways...

So...Abrams Spider-Man #3 is already pushed back 3 weeks or so, and #4 is pushed back 12 weeks. Talk about taking the steam out of a book that I already wasn't reading. This is like when DC announces they are pushing back Doomsday Clock. Don't care....not reading it anyways...

I still can’t believe just how much I disliked this book. Might seriously be one of the biggest letdowns for me in a long time. Just a bad case of false advertising by having those preview pages show of Peter/MJ working together. I’m usually super OCD when it comes to finishing series. The fact that I couldn’t even bother to pick up #2 says a lot about how I feel about this series.

Art was still pretty though....

I still can’t believe just how much I disliked this book. Might seriously be one of the biggest letdowns for me in a long time. Just a bad case of false advertising by having those preview pages show of Peter/MJ working together. I’m usually super OCD when it comes to finishing series. The fact that I couldn’t even bother to pick up #2 says a lot about how I feel about this series.

Art was still pretty though....

Well honestly the false advertising started with the odd countdown. Why do you start a countdown at 4 and give it a Raimi type look and then say this will reveal huge news? It's no wonder fans were getting upset when the reveal was an Abrams thing. So, imo, this book was already behind the 8 ball before it even released. Then the next big falsity is that it's not even JJ writing this, it's his son. Hmmm.

But yeah, I agree with you about issue 1. I was so turned off by the first few pages. Who the f**k is that stupid to throw a murdered woman off a bridge in a Spider-Man comic? Without earning it first. I bet Peter will make a deal with the devil to bring MJ back to life in this at some point.

Well honestly the false advertising started with the odd countdown. Why do you start a countdown at 4 and give it a Raimi type look and then say this will reveal huge news? It's no wonder fans were getting upset when the reveal was an Abrams thing. So, imo, this book was already behind the 8 ball before it even released. Then the next big falsity is that it's not even JJ writing this, it's his son. Hmmm.

But yeah, I agree with you about issue 1. I was so turned off by the first few pages. Who the f**k is that stupid to throw a murdered woman off a bridge in a Spider-Man comic? Without earning it first. I bet Peter will make a deal with the devil to bring MJ back to life in this at some point.
LOL

Uh oh/yikes/teeth emoji

I know I'm like two months behind on all my titles. I'm not proud of it, BUT I did read a few last night including this one.

Guess I AM the only one reading this lol.

SM #3
While I was in the minority, I'm now in the majority. I thought the first issue was solid and had me intrigued but #3 solidified my disliking towards the title. I'm not sure that the Abrams's way of twisting the classic mythos was the best one. The title doesn't do too much to make you care for Ben and what he's going through. Matter of fact, it mirrors a lot of the AMAZING films -- he's whiny and angsty, not to mention #3 reveals a big plot involving "blood" and bloodlines/lineage. Which, to me, is a big eye roll. The next time I'm at my shop, I'm taking this one off my pull...

I know I'm like two months behind on all my titles. I'm not proud of it, BUT I did read a few last night including this one.

Guess I AM the only one reading this lol.

SM #3
While I was in the minority, I'm now in the majority. I thought the first issue was solid and had me intrigued but #3 solidified my disliking towards the title. I'm not sure that the Abrams's way of twisting the classic mythos was the best one. The title doesn't do too much to make you care for Ben and what he's going through. Matter of fact, it mirrors a lot of the AMAZING films -- he's whiny and angsty, not to mention #3 reveals a big plot involving "blood" and bloodlines/lineage. Which, to me, is a big eye roll. The next time I'm at my shop, I'm taking this one off my pull...

Yeah, I'm enjoying NOT reading this title, the more I hear about it. Shame they canceled FNSM, but this keeps on coming out. Well...sporadically coming out. Planning on making a trip to my LCS soon to get caught up on Amazing...finally.

Yeah, I'm enjoying NOT reading this title, the more I hear about it. Shame they canceled FNSM, but this keeps on coming out. Well...sporadically coming out. Planning on making a trip to my LCS soon to get caught up on Amazing...finally.
This title's last two issues got delayed to April and May. I believe they were originally supposed to come out last month and this month. Wow.

I also haven't read the last issue to FNSM yet! I'm about 3-4 issues behind on AMAZING, too...

This title's last two issues got delayed to April and May. I believe they were originally supposed to come out last month and this month. Wow.

I also haven't read the last issue to FNSM yet! I'm about 3-4 issues behind on AMAZING, too...

You guys need to get caught up. We need more discussion in here :D:

You guys need to get caught up. We need more discussion in here :D:
I know :(

I'm getting there! I believe the 2099 stuff is over, right? I'm only guessing because the past two ASM covers don't feature 2099. I would go in the ASM thread to get your general thoughts but I'm afraid of getting spoiled lol

I almost made it there Sunday, but everyone was feeling very "let's stay home", so I didn't feel like fighting it. Hoping to go in another week or two. I read the new Spider-Man 2099 #1, but I genuinely despised it, as they "re-tooled" his origin. AGAIN. It wasn't as bad as the 2000's retcon, which was just about the worst of the worst, but it was prettt bad. ESPECIALLY considering how rock solid Miguel's original origin story and, well, first 25-50 issues of his title were.

Abrams' Final Two SPIDER-MAN Issues Postponed Four Months

This is getting insulting. So many up and comers would love a shot to write or draw Spider-Man...so many professionals are NOT working, and need work...and they let people just say, "Hey, I can't get this done for about 4 months. That cool?"

Yikes. Luckily, I haven't spent any money on this.

Abrams' Final Two SPIDER-MAN Issues Postponed Four Months

This is getting insulting. So many up and comers would love a shot to write or draw Spider-Man...so many professionals are NOT working, and need work...and they let people just say, "Hey, I can't get this done for about 4 months. That cool?"

Yikes. Luckily, I haven't spent any money on this.
Yup. Well said. I think I'm stopping by the store tonight -- definitely asking them to take this off my pull lol

Yup. Well said. I think I'm stopping by the store tonight -- definitely asking them to take this off my pull lol
Well...you'll have three or four months to decided if you want to keep it or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"