Comics JJ Abrams to write Spider-Man?!

I was already on the fence about getting this and you're not the first person I've heard that's had a blah reaction. So...

I think I'm not gonna pick this up. The premise doesn't intrigue me...but I'll keep tabs on what you guys think to see if things improve.

It's like a constant 1 step forward, 2 steps back approach with Marvel, these days. I just don't get it.

It's like a constant 1 step forward, 2 steps back approach with Marvel, these days. I just don't get it.

This and Symbiote Spider-Man have been the only duds though, right? As long as ASM remains good, I'm not worried about the rest. They all can't be winners I suppose but we've gotten some really good stuff this past year...FNSM, Life Story.

That Spider-Man Full Circle looks like it might be good. And I'm really looking forward to Amazing MJ. And while I haven't written any reviews lately, the Black Cat ongoing has been fun.

This and Symbiote Spider-Man have been the only duds though, right? As long as ASM remains good, I'm not worried about the rest. They all can't be winners I suppose but we've gotten some really good stuff this past year...FNSM, Life Story.

That Spider-Man Full Circle looks like it might be good. And I'm really looking forward to Amazing MJ. And while I haven't written any reviews lately, the Black Cat ongoing has been fun.

Well, God willing, I'll be picking up my pull in the next week or three, and then we can discuss at length. Yeah, this and Symbiote being the only duds is pretty good, given the wide array of misfires we've had over the past few years! I mean, Amazing has been relaunched 3 times in the past, what...5 years? Maybe Marvel will take a stand against pointless relaunched and variant covers and gimmicky events, and they'll instead focus on getting the best writers and artists on the books and do character driven stories to get sales!

Of course, if they do that, they won't be able to keep up with DC's 80 million Crisis, year-long events, and killing/resurrecting their main heroes every 3 years.

I hate that I'm so jaded. Reminds me, I have to go buy my daughter the FOURTH Spider-Gwen #1 to come out since the character was introduced back in, you know...2015. (That's 1 per year, on average)

Kill it with fire.

So, we see Mary Jane die, and Peter is left to raise his son, Benjy alone, shirks his responsibilities, and leaved Benjy with Aunt May to basically look after a teenager. And there is no Mayday. Ever.

That's not to say it doesn't probably work as a cool Elseworlds-style take, but we JUST got that (and probably better) with Spider-Man: Life Story. I feel like we're going to be looking at a story where Peter dies and passes on the mantle of Spider-man...which just happened in Spider-Verse (the film), Ultimate Spider-Man about 8 years ago, and Spider-Man: Life Story about 3 weeks ago.
Just...was hoping for more. I'll give it another issue or 2, but this isn't inspiring my confidence too much.

Lmfao. In your post before that you are so enthusiastic and then bam “kill it with fire “ lol

I agree. Didn’t do anything for me at all. This series had a lot of hype surrounding it in typical Marvel fashion. I was expecting way more. The preview panels ruined it for me because I was hoping for more of that. Meh I might give the next issue a shot and just bounce after that. What an absolute disappoint on something I was looking forward to so much.

Lmfao. In your post before that you are so enthusiastic and then bam “kill it with fire “ lol

I agree. Didn’t do anything for me at all. This series had a lot of hype surrounding it in typical Marvel fashion. I was expecting way more. The preview panels ruined it for me because I was hoping for more of that. Meh I might give the next issue a shot and just bounce after that. What an absolute disappoint on something I was looking forward to so much.

LOL.
Yep...I'm always willing to change my mind or admit I was wrong. Comes with age, I suppose!

SM #1 (JJ)

Aw MAN. I think I'm in the minority. I'm not saying this was AWESOME/AMAZING/HOLY BALLS like LIFE STORY was...BUT it did subvert my expectations in a nice way. If anyone's read SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, it reminds me a lot of that just in terms of tone, aesthetic, and emotion. Pichelli absolutely SLAYS the art imo. Seriously haven't seen good art like this...something really modern, in a while.

No spoilers but the book right away takes you for a turn. The book isn't what you think it is -- it's a complete reimagining of the classic mythos that we know. Prob the best way to describe it. I'm in for the ride.

SM #1 (JJ)

Aw MAN. I think I'm in the minority. I'm not saying this was AWESOME/AMAZING/HOLY BALLS like LIFE STORY was...BUT it did subvert my expectations in a nice way. If anyone's read SUPERMAN: EARTH ONE, it reminds me a lot of that just in terms of tone, aesthetic, and emotion. Pichelli absolutely SLAYS the art imo. Seriously haven't seen good art like this...something really modern, in a while.

No spoilers but the book right away takes you for a turn. The book isn't what you think it is -- it's a complete reimagining of the classic mythos that we know. Prob the best way to describe it. I'm in for the ride.

I think for me personally what hurt was the preview pages Marvel released. In a sense it felt like false advertising because

well MJ is dead at the start. They essentially turned what I believed to be a Peter/MJ centric story into one revolving around his son and that’s not what I signed up for because those preview panels led me to believe something else.

Besides that I just felt the issue was bland. Really enjoyed the art though ...

I think for me personally what hurt was the preview pages Marvel released. In a sense it felt like false advertising because

well MJ is dead at the start. They essentially turned what I believed to be a Peter/MJ centric story into one revolving around his son and that’s not what I signed up for because those preview panels led me to believe something else.

Besides that I just felt the issue was bland. Really enjoyed the art though ...
I hear you for sure. Your perception of the story was heavily molded by the time you read it. That's why I try to stay away from most marketing in general. I refused any preview pages, etc. That being said,
the cover is still of Peter and MJ and I, too, expected a take on THEIR story and something Peter-centric. Not an angsty, darker take on Peter's son that is somewhat of a mirror to the classic mythos. Spitballing, but it's almost a similar take to how VERSE did Miles (a different kinda of "Peter") with the "real" Peter being a "darker", washed up take. Wishful thinking, but I hope the older Peter in JJ's book gets a bit more front and center -- could see a cool team up with his son.

I broke down and read this.

Um, I wish I hadn't lol.

*****SPOILERS*****

This was a pile of hot garbage. It was so generic. Everything that happens in this comic is a beat of something else. It takes from Ultimate Spider-Man comic, a couple of the movies and Spider-Girl but the problem is, all those beats were done 100 times better in the other iterations. For example, that last scene is direct rip off from Spider-Girl, where MJ instead of May takes Mayday instead of Ben to the attic to discover the family secrets and a suit.

A generic big bad shows up outta nowhere. A generic teenage kid, generic bully, generic principal office visit, generic love interest, generic mother figure, etc. In a word, generic lol.

And the worst part. They killed MJ. And not just killed, she was fridged. And how was she killed? They threw her off a bridge. OFF. A. BRIDGE.

Think about how completely devoid of original thought you have to be to throw a murdered woman off a bridge in a Spider-Man comic. And it's played totally straight.

The only redeeming quality I can think of is that I didn't pay any money to read this. I'm probably being too harsh but whatever. I don't care how this may turn around, I'm not supporting this.

Um, I wish I hadn't lol.

*****SPOILERS*****

This was a pile of hot garbage. It was so generic. Everything that happens in this comic is a beat of something else. It takes from Ultimate Spider-Man comic, a couple of the movies and Spider-Girl but the problem is, all those beats were done 100 times better in the other iterations. For example, that last scene is direct rip off from Spider-Girl, where MJ instead of May takes Mayday instead of Ben to the attic to discover the family secrets and a suit.

A generic big bad shows up outta nowhere. A generic teenage kid, generic bully, generic principal office visit, generic love interest, generic mother figure, etc. In a word, generic lol.

And the worst part. They killed MJ. And not just killed, she was fridged. And how was she killed? They threw her off a bridge. OFF. A. BRIDGE.

Think about how completely devoid of original thought you have to be to throw a murdered woman off a bridge in a Spider-Man comic. And it's played totally straight.

The only redeeming quality I can think of is that I didn't pay any money to read this. I'm probably being too harsh but whatever. I don't care how this may turn around, I'm not supporting this.
Dude. Harsh. I guess I haven't realized that those were all stolen beats -- some of them like Spider-Girl, I haven't read. But I also took it as them maybe mirroring those beats intentionally, as to pay homage/make it their own for their version. I know, I know, it's like they're too similar. But maybe that was them trying to make it "their take" if that makes sense. Idk, I really enjoyed that first issue. Didn't think it was 10/10 but definitely in the minority here for this one..

Um, I wish I hadn't lol.

*****SPOILERS*****

I feel you, man. I never say "fridged" because Gail Simone coined that whole thing, and I'm not a fan of hers...but this is the one instance where it totally applies. Yeah, agree with how generic it all feels and, honestly, looks. Forgetting the bleh of the title as we know it, don't you think Marvel could have gotten someone AWESOME to draw it? I don't dislike Pichelli, but maybe Campbell, who is a HUGE fan of Abrams, I think, could have been lured in with the prospect of working with him? Instead, we get Pichelli. She's a really good artist, more so for ordinary people stuff, but her superheroes have never done anything for me. However, if this was such a HUGE deal, why not lure a big-time creator in to pencil it, too? I mean, they basically introduced a son, ignored Mayday, ignored Annie, and decided to kill MJ off by means of a lame and new villain.

Sorry, the more I've thought about it, the worse this book has become. Also, when the sales numbers come back, Marvel will think this is the wave of the future.

Dude. Harsh. I guess I haven't realized that those were all stolen beats -- some of them like Spider-Girl, I haven't read. But I also took it as them maybe mirroring those beats intentionally, as to pay homage/make it their own for their version. I know, I know, it's like they're too similar. But maybe that was them trying to make it "their take" if that makes sense. Idk, I really enjoyed that first issue. Didn't think it was 10/10 but definitely in the minority here for this one..

Yeah, that's the main problem with this comic. It's written by someone who has a limited knowledge and view of the character. Henry or whatever his name is, has probably never read a single issue and instead just googled for info regarding the comics.

The very beginning of the comic suggests that you have a working understanding of the relationship between Peter and MJ because the comic itself sets up nothing. Hey, here's Spider-Man and here's MJ and boom now she's dead. So unless you've got a previous attachment to them, there's nothing else. Which imo is poor writing.

The manner in which MJ is killed is utter nonsense. She's thrown off a bridge for goodness sake. Like seriously? And the only reason it's done this way, again, is to get shock value and also to make the main character, a Male, have sadness. That's called fridging and it's dumb.

Now, I'm not saying you can't approach that type of thing in a Spider-Man comic but it must be earned. For example, look at the Marvel Knights series. That series set up the relationship between Peter and MJ and made you care about them. At some point MJ is tossed off a bridge and Peter saves her. But it's not because her saves her it's because when we the reader arrive at that point, it's earned, we're holding our breath because so is Spider-Man. He understands the weight of what's happening and we see how he's learned from that experience and how it affects him.

Besides this comic being nothing more than a cheap shock value generic grab bag of idiocy, the blow up in Marvel's face countdown and hearing those ever important words "like nothing you've ever seen before" crap, I've written this off.

Ahem. Now that I've vented lol. Thanks for listening...

I'm glad that you are enjoying it. I've no idea how well this is selling but I'm sure there's plenty of people that are digging it.

I feel you, man. I never say "fridged" because Gail Simone coined that whole thing, and I'm not a fan of hers...but this is the one instance where it totally applies. Yeah, agree with how generic it all feels and, honestly, looks. Forgetting the bleh of the title as we know it, don't you think Marvel could have gotten someone AWESOME to draw it? I don't dislike Pichelli, but maybe Campbell, who is a HUGE fan of Abrams, I think, could have been lured in with the prospect of working with him? Instead, we get Pichelli. She's a really good artist, more so for ordinary people stuff, but her superheroes have never done anything for me. However, if this was such a HUGE deal, why not lure a big-time creator in to pencil it, too? I mean, they basically introduced a son, ignored Mayday, ignored Annie, and decided to kill MJ off by means of a lame and new villain.

Sorry, the more I've thought about it, the worse this book has become. Also, when the sales numbers come back, Marvel will think this is the wave of the future.

Lol. Yeah, I had no idea it was Gail's word but...it totally applies.

I could be ok with the art if the story were worth anything. I don't think this is anywhere near Pichelli's best work in fact it might be her worst. I dunno.

But yeah, with every page I was like, this is from this and this is from that. And it seemed to me like he googled different Spider-Man comics and then used certain ideas and then made changes so that it wouldn't look like a copy and paste job, i.e. changing out Mayday for Ben.

Yeah, that's the main problem with this comic. It's written by someone who has a limited knowledge and view of the character. Henry or whatever his name is, has probably never read a single issue and instead just googled for info regarding the comics.

The very beginning of the comic suggests that you have a working understanding of the relationship between Peter and MJ because the comic itself sets up nothing. Hey, here's Spider-Man and here's MJ and boom now she's dead. So unless you've got a previous attachment to them, there's nothing else. Which imo is poor writing.

The manner in which MJ is killed is utter nonsense. She's thrown off a bridge for goodness sake. Like seriously? And the only reason it's done this way, again, is to get shock value and also to make the main character, a Male, have sadness. That's called fridging and it's dumb.

Now, I'm not saying you can't approach that type of thing in a Spider-Man comic but it must be earned. For example, look at the Marvel Knights series. That series set up the relationship between Peter and MJ and made you care about them. At some point MJ is tossed off a bridge and Peter saves her. But it's not because her saves her it's because when we the reader arrive at that point, it's earned, we're holding our breath because so is Spider-Man. He understands the weight of what's happening and we see how he's learned from that experience and how it affects him.

Besides this comic being nothing more than a cheap shock value generic grab bag of idiocy, the blow up in Marvel's face countdown and hearing those ever important words "like nothing you've ever seen before" crap, I've written this off.

I'm glad that you are enjoying it. I've no idea how well this is selling but I'm sure there's plenty of people that are digging it.

Lol. Yeah, I had no idea it was Gail's word but...it totally applies.

I could be ok with the art if the story were worth anything. I don't think this is anywhere near Pichelli's best work in fact it might be her worst. I dunno.

But yeah, with every page I was like, this is from this and this is from that. And it seemed to me like he googled different Spider-Man comics and then used certain ideas and then made changes so that it wouldn't look like a copy and paste job, i.e. changing out Mayday for Ben.

The thing is, I almost feel BAD for NOT liking it! It sounds weird, but I know it's such a big deal to have Abrams on a Spidey title. It's just not good. I know it has the potential to really open up some doors or whatever, but I feel like this was just a "I think Spider-Man's a cool character, and my son wants an 'in', so let me make that happen".

It doesn't feel like he put forth any effort into researching if any of this had been done before (and better), and he and his son just threw some stuff together, and here we are. It could have been so much more...!

Lol all good, dude. If it's anything that these forums taught me... there are gonna be agreeing, disagreeing. Apples and oranges at the end of the day. I'm hearing your notes and shinlyle's. A lot of the beats either weren't earned, for shock value, etc. I'll peep issue 2 and hope I continue to enjoy..

Lol all good, dude. If it's anything that these forums taught me... there are gonna be agreeing, disagreeing. Apples and oranges at the end of the day. I'm hearing your notes and shinlyle's. A lot of the beats either weren't earned, for shock value, etc. I'll peep issue 2 and hope I continue to enjoy..

I hope you do enjoy it, man! In my younger days, I would have lost it and proclaimed my hater-tude...nowadays, I'll just say whether I don't like it, let others enjoy it, and move on. I think it just comes with age.

I hope you do enjoy it, man! In my younger days, I would have lost it and proclaimed my hater-tude...nowadays, I'll just say whether I don't like it, let others enjoy it, and move on. I think it just comes with age.
Now if only others would catch on.....

Yeah man, I'm just venting or more like expressing my opinion, which I know, can sound heated but hey, I'm just passionate about this stuff.

I know you don't take it this way but I'll say it anyway-- I'm not trying to influence you or anyone else. I wouldn't ever hate on you for liking something that I don't and I certainly don't post my opinions to try and either make people not like something or get people 'on my side.' Though I totally understand that happening... after all, I'm incredibly charming and handsome :cool:

Yeah man, I'm just venting or more like expressing my opinion, which I know, can sound heated but hey, I'm just passionate about this stuff.

I know you don't take it this way but I'll say it anyway-- I'm not trying to influence you or anyone else. I wouldn't ever hate on you for liking something that I don't and I certainly don't post my opinions to try and either make people not like something or get people 'on my side.' Though I totally understand that happening... after all, I'm incredibly charming and handsome :cool:
LMAO. Bro, for sure. Roger on all fronts. Never took it that way, just that you were expressing your views. I'm the same way, or try to be..

Interesting article...brings up points we discuss here all the time...
SPIDER-MAN #1 is Booming - And That May Be A Serious Problem

I agree with most of the points except the politically conservative part. Marvel has never had a problem pushing politics, sometimes to the detriment of a story. The variant cover madness is going to kill the industry...and quickly. They aren't special anymore. There is one "hidden gem" variant per big event that will go for hundreds of dollars, and the rest are dollar bin fodder. Even the SUPER AWESOME Skottie Young baby variants have mostly ended up in the dollar bins because there is a J. Scott Campbell variant or a Todd McFarlane panel from an issue that they reproduced as a cover to generate sales.

Doesn't that say something about the current stable of artists? The need to constantly have another artist do a cover for a book they will probably never draw a line of interior artwork for because they know their current lot can't attract readers...that's telling.

The article also mentions the horrid relaunch-apalooza that is currently wrecking the industry.

In fact, I had to explain to my daughter why they renamed Spider-Gwen "Ghost Spider" and moved her to the 616. I explained that it existed in a pocket universe, and that any Marvel comic that exists in a different universe is eventually abandoned and cancelled, and they wanted to keep the character around. Just like they did Miles.

Marvel needs to get back to the stories selling the books, and they need to take a stand. Right now, the best selling comics at my LCS are the True Believers reprints and the DC fascimile editions. Pretty telling.

Agreed on good titles these past couple years. I’m definitely intrigued by FULL CIRCLE but it’s got Bachalo, man!!! Also had no idea that it’s out next week! It says the first issue is 88 pages. Does anyone know if this is a one-shot or ongoing?

EDIT: It's a one-shot.

SM#2 (JJ)
Man. Way to decline after a solid first issue. “Faye Ito” reminds me of the Rose character in THE LAST JEDI. A character put in for the sake of diversity and is completely annoying/no depth. It might be intentional — but either way doesn’t sit right with the reader at all — she’s got no moral compass and is pulling Peter’s son, Ben, into trouble. It’s irritating and eye rolling. And I’m trying to look at the bigger picture — if this is ultimately gonna go the route of “I hate my dad, I never wanna be my dad, but I’m cursed with these powers, so I’m gonna become my own hero” sorta thing...that’s not really that compelling either considering that’s been done thousands of times. I’m in for next issue but if it’s as bad or as worse as #2, I’ll drop.

Last edited:
Agreed on good titles these past couple years. I’m definitely intrigued by FULL CIRCLE but it’s got Bachalo, man!!! Also had no idea that it’s out next week! It says the first issue is 88 pages. Does anyone know if this is a one-shot or ongoing?

SM#2 (JJ)
Man. Way to decline after a solid first issue. “Faye Ito” reminds me of the Rose character in THE LAST JEDI. A character put in for the sake of diversity and is completely annoying/no depth. It might be intentional — but either way doesn’t sit right with the reader at all — she’s got no moral compass and is pulling Peter’s son, Ben, into trouble. It’s irritating and eye rolling. And I’m trying to look at the bigger picture — if this is ultimately gonna go the route of “I hate my dad, I never wanna be my dad, but I’m cursed with these powers, so I’m gonna become my own hero” sorta thing...that’s not really that compelling either considering that’s been done thousands of times. I’m in for next issue but if it’s as bad or as worse as #2, I’ll drop.

I read about SM#2...it looks like hot garbage, from what I can see. Yeah, she seems to have that Rose feel to her from what I've read. Honestly, I just feel like I'd rather them keep a good writer on there that understands Spider-Man. Shoot, let Joss Whedon write a Spider-title for a bit! He did better writing Spidey in one issue of Astonishing X-Men than SOME writers did over a decade.

As for Rose, I always felt like she was lame, too. Nothing racial about it, just...she was super-shallow as far as character depth goes, and her kissing Finn at the end was SO forced. He didn't even like her a little bit, from what I could tell, and she was ready to turn him in as a traitor literally 4 hours earlier. Just...creepy stalker vibe.

Back on Spidey...

Full circle is out?!?! I need to get that...especially the blank cover!!

I read about SM#2...it looks like hot garbage, from what I can see. Yeah, she seems to have that Rose feel to her from what I've read. Honestly, I just feel like I'd rather them keep a good writer on there that understands Spider-Man. Shoot, let Joss Whedon write a Spider-title for a bit! He did better writing Spidey in one issue of Astonishing X-Men than SOME writers did over a decade.

As for Rose, I always felt like she was lame, too. Nothing racial about it, just...she was super-shallow as far as character depth goes, and her kissing Finn at the end was SO forced. He didn't even like her a little bit, from what I could tell, and she was ready to turn him in as a traitor literally 4 hours earlier. Just...creepy stalker vibe.

Back on Spidey...

Full circle is out?!?! I need to get that...especially the blank cover!!
Yes, dude! Completely agree on Rose. THe kiss was super stalker-y and came off as fangirl-ish. ANd totally! Finn didn't even look like he enjoyed it lol. As an asian myself, the way she was depicted was completely eyerolling. Her character is lame. So, similar vibes with Faye Ito.

I've heard about Whedon's ASTONISHING run as one of the best X-MEN runs of all time. Have yet to pick it up as I have not read ANY X-MEN comics I don't think. But...there's just too much stuff out there!

Yes, dude! Completely agree on Rose. THe kiss was super stalker-y and came off as fangirl-ish. ANd totally! Finn didn't even look like he enjoyed it lol. As an asian myself, the way she was depicted was completely eyerolling. Her character is lame. So, similar vibes with Faye Ito.

I've heard about Whedon's ASTONISHING run as one of the best X-MEN runs of all time. Have yet to pick it up as I have not read ANY X-MEN comics I don't think. But...there's just too much stuff out there!

His astonishing X-Men run is the only good X-Men run in the last 10 or 15 years, in my opinion. Everything else has been utter garbage, with the small exception of X-Men vs. Avengers. I've tried to read some of the books, but UGH...at some point, they became SO political or SO "intellectual" or such "EVENT BOOKS" that they forgot to just be fun. Then again, that's been Marvel problem for a long time. FIRST: Be fun and good comics. Everything else can be whatever you want it to be, but if no one enjoys it and wants to be the characters, then it's crap.

I'm a white devil, so I never know if a character comes across as genuine or pandering. It's not for me to judge...but she came across as largely unnecessary. I mean, did anything she said need to be said? I felt her sister was more integral to the story, and a deeper character in general, just because of her sacrifice. She could have mentioned her sister in passing before she died, and it would have meant more than anything Rose did. It's not a jab against the actress or anything, I just felt like they didn't have anything meaningful for her to do other than save Finn...who would have been better being saved by Poe, as he was his first friend!

Ahem...

Spider-Man. Not feeling this comic. See, I'm on topic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"