The Rise of Skywalker JJ Abrams is Writing and Directing Episode IX

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

J.J. Abrams, who launched a new era of Star Wars with The Force Awakens in 2015, is returning to complete the sequel trilogy as writer and director of Star Wars: Episode IX. Abrams will co-write the film with Chris Terrio. Star Wars: Episode IX will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Michelle Rejwan, Abrams, Bad Robot, and Lucasfilm.

“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy,” said Lucasfilm President Kathleen Kennedy.

9zXFVaA.jpg

Second best choice. Huge upgrade over Trevorrow. And for those of you are going to whine "aw why not Nolan, why not Bird, why not Spielberg" problem with those guys is they would be coming on cold. JJ and Rian worked closely together prepping Rian for ep 8, and they will again, this time for ep 9. Plus this time JJ will have a LOT more time to work on this movie (as opposed to TFA where he was coming off the heels of ST: Into Darkness). Confident that ep 9 will be a good, if not great, movie (in the same ballpark as ROTJ, at least).

Last edited:
The only thing that annoys me about Abrams coming back for Episode IX is that he's going to play the Mystery Box s**t like he did for TFA.

The only thing that annoys me about Abrams coming back for Episode IX is that he's going to play the Mystery Box s**t like he did for TFA.
How do you play the mystery box in the film movie in a trilogy? :funny:

eb5c40ea92b5b583d67faa509bf8cd37ec3f28c27ec76c88dce201a087a267e4.jpg

I'm ok with this but they could have chosen someone else. They are playing too safe.

Best course of action. Give them more time.

I think JJ is a good director, much better than Trevorrow. What I don't like - he's a writer too.

Lets hope JJ takes some chances. I think by 2019 more people will view TFA as overrated or just didn't age well so its going to be a lot of pressure on him for Episode 9.

Lets hope JJ takes some chances. I think by 2019 more people will view TFA as overrated or just didn't age well so its going to be a lot of pressure on him for Episode 9.
What kind of chances should he take though? Killing off characters people will want to live? Harrison Ford wanted Han Solo to die in Return of the Jedi. Originally, Lando wasn't going to make it out of the Death Star either.

By that time, it will only have been about four or so years since Force Awakens came out. Generally speaking, is that enough time for the public to decide that the movie hasn't aged well? Though really, that could apply to any film.

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Bold: Putting a young woman at the center of a Star Wars movie, inspiring a new generation of fans like never before... (cont'd)

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Bold: Creating an emotionally conflicted villain with a journey to the center of evil that has layers not previously seen... (co

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Bold: Making two men of color heroes full of great morals and character and the coolest jacket in the galaxy... (cont'd)

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Daring: Ending the movie with the galaxy's greatest hero not saying a word creating the most unique ending in the franchise... (cont

Makes a good case, but I've seen the film and how it translates..... ehhhh

If VIII is as good as I think it will be, it might actually make VII look better. Because it will be about taking the ground work established in VII and exploring it. Certain characters like Phasma or Poe will (hopefully) feel more well rounded and integrated.

For me, best possible outcome to the situation they faced. Very happy with result. Previous director was for me, a terrible choice anyway.

Ouch

David Poland OMS?
@DavidPoland
Really, doing another Star Wars is sadder for JJ, who still hasn’t made a true film of his own original voice, than for SW fans.

David Poland OMS?
@DavidPoland
Replying to @TheHey
M:I 4 and 5 make M:I 3 look like the mediocrity it is.

WHy is everyone upset about JJ being the director?

Super 8 was an original film and story.

Also, James Cameron's first directing gig was Piranha 2. His third movie was an Alien sequel, and now all he makes is Avatar sequels that take 20 years.

Terminator gave him a lot of tenure.

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Bold: Putting a young woman at the center of a Star Wars movie, inspiring a new generation of fans like never before... (cont'd)

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Bold: Creating an emotionally conflicted villain with a journey to the center of evil that has layers not previously seen... (co

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Bold: Making two men of color heroes full of great morals and character and the coolest jacket in the galaxy... (cont'd)

Ken Napzok?
@KenNapzok
Daring: Ending the movie with the galaxy's greatest hero not saying a word creating the most unique ending in the franchise... (cont

Makes a good case, but I've seen the film and how it translates..... ehhhh

Translated amazingly well IMO

I am most certainly not. I wanted JJ or Rian. I got my wish. :woot:

Same I was totally fine and hoping for one of the two of them to come back, and I am not disappointed. JJ made my second favorite Star Wars film so I'm more than happy to have him back :woot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Terminator gave him a lot of tenure.
The way I think Trek did JJ. That was the movie that got me on the JJ bandwagon. I quite like M:I3, but Trek really clicked for me, outside of an awkward transition with Old Spock imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"