JJ Abrams leading the DCEU

I’d be interested in Abrams doing a DC film.

But there is zero point in having him “lead” the DCEU when half of the films the company wants to put out are most likely not going to be in the DCEU.

Maybe the point of Abrams taking over is to create some cohesion.

The DCEU is very fragmented with films all over the place finally and story wise

Man of Steel : IMO a good film but a bit dour and controversial

Batman v Superman: .......ummmm, some good moments but not good overall.

Wonder Woman: Solid film and the only DC hero portrayal that everyone likes ( especially me ! I was a massive skeptic, but GG totally sold me)

Suicide Squad; makes Batman v Superman look okay, it's awful.

Justice League: kind of like what the Avengers would have been if Joel Schumacher directed it.

Aquaman: big, loud, dumb and super fun !

Shazam: not quite as loud, not quite as dumb and even more fun !

While the films seem to be getting better there's very little to connect the characters - unlike the way that the MCU consciously interrelated storylines and characters.
While I'm not a big fan of Abrams Star Wars ( although I did enjoy his Star Trek) he does know about how to interweave characters.

If anyone could reshape the DCEU, Abrams could, so why not let him try ?

I agree but let Abrams establish Superman first, get someone else to helm Green Lantern and then see where it goes from there. However getting these right on their own may delay a JL movie as the solos should be a priority.

JJ has no imagination.

Plus, don't put Pattinson into any crossovers. Stand-alone Batman ftw.

Abrams on Superman is a no brainer
Whilst he’s a decent director, so yes, that could work. I don’t want him penning the screenplay at all after the nightmare that almost came to light by the name of “Flyby” :yuk:

Whilst he’s a decent director, so yes, that could work. I don’t want him penning the screenplay at all after the nightmare that almost came to light by the name of “Flyby” :yuk:

People always bring up Flyby but that script was the way it was because Jon Peters asked him to make it like Star Wars.

I’ve read 3 drafts of Flyby and despite all the crap like Krypton not exploding there was lot of great traditional Superman stuff in there as well. Nobody has read the shooting draft either so there’s no telling what was changed by the time it was prepping to shoot.

People always bring up Flyby but that script was the way it was because Jon Peters asked him to make it like Star Wars.

I’ve read 3 drafts of Flyby and despite all the crap like Krypton not exploding there was lot of great traditional Superman stuff in there as well. Nobody has read the shooting draft either so there’s no telling what was changed by the time it was prepping to shoot.
Do you have the third draft? I only know of the first two which are readily available.

Do you have the third draft? I only know of the first two which are readily available.

Unfortunately not I'm afraid, I lost them all when my PC died a few years ago.

Would love to see JJ do MOS 2. Not a big fan of rebooting but there seems to be a growing trend towards wanting that

Would love to see JJ do MOS 2. Not a big fan of rebooting but there seems to be a growing trend towards wanting that

I'd soft reboot (preferably with Henry but I think he's out), do what they did with Batman Forever. It's still a follow on but its got a new tone and a (mostly) new cast. Of course make it a better film than that was, that goes without saying. But the idea is sound.

Current Breakdown as of 10/24/19 from what I can tell please feel free to correct or add:
2020:

BOP

WW '84

2021:
SS2 Soft-Reboot

The Batman

2022:
Superpets (theatrical animated release)

Aquaman 2

?:
Black Adam

Shazam 2

New Gods

The Trench

The Flash

Green Lantern

Justice League Re-Boot (JL2 nixed but Abrams production company perhaps is interested in a re-boot)

Young Justice League aka Teen Titans (perhaps a Plan B if opt not to get Justice League re-boot going using this as an alternative to start fresh in a secondary DCU universe)

Nixed or Development Hell:
JL Dark
(Many versions come and go)

Cyborg (October 2014 WB announces slate of 10 films to make up DCU; All of these originally announced DCU movie's released after Justice League in 2017 are now either considered stand-alone or re-worked at this point; Cyborg is the only one out of these 10 films that was never seriously mentioned again post-Justice League)

Superman (In 2014, this franchise not even mentioned in the lineup of DCU movies as BvS took over the franchise not to mention Justice League. Vague rumors of a direct continuation of MOS picked up steam in early to mid-2018 again but never happened. DC's number 1 franchise lost. Henry Cavil has shown vague interest in returning early 2019 but as time goes on increasingly unlikely.)

Supergirl (2017-
2018 were crazy flux years at WB. Fall 2018 WB had some back/forth on what do with Superman but a fresh start explored after Henry Cavill didn't guest star in Shazam seeing Cavil signing onto Witcher series in response to news of Supergirl. This re-imaged Geoff Johns DCU never sprouted up and by the end of 2018 some of the directions he tried to infuse at the beginning of the year began to subside. Original versions of SS2 tried to use this character but after James Gunn took over that fell by wayside as well.)

DeathStroke ("The Batman" starring Affleck rumored as an add-on to DC's originally planned DCU movies picked up steam in late 2016 into 2017 before Justice League's release. Deathstroke rumored to spinoff of this movie but both have since been forgotten about with "The Batman" re-worked into something else by Matt Reeves)

NightWing (most recent update is "The Batman" comes first and separate iterations of Gotham characters contained for the time being)

Batgirl (Whedon's take gone; script re-written by BOP writer but The Batman may make not happen unless BOP massive success)

Gotham City Sirens (Ayer's version gone; may re-work into BOP sequel as Margot opted for BOP 1st)

Deadshot (rumored spin-off from SS lost amid post-production cut-up of Suicide Squad, Justice League reception, and indecision on what to do with SS until hiring James Gunn)

Joker w/Leto or Harley and Joker (SS post-production butchering; hiring of James Gunn after back/forth planning on SS2 eventually settling on soft re-boot; WB opting to go with R-Rated Joker film in development with Todd Phillips directing)

Lobo (various versions development hell for over a decade; rumor popping up about year ago puts back on the radar but has since subsided yet again)

Booster Gold (a probable movie from Arrowverse co-creator that may or may not get a greenlight; 2015 originally purported to be a team-up with Blue Beetle then in 2016 Greg Berlanti claimed a solo instead but nothing since)

Blue Beetle (a fleeting rumor in 2018 amidst AT&T purchase and major shakeups at WB; like many other rumors from 2017 and 2018 just another direction things could've taken)

Plastic Man (same situation as Blue Beetle)

BlackHawke (something Speilberg could get greenlighted if has the time)

Last edited:
If we never see a Leto Joker solo, or a Will Smith Deadshot solo I’d have no problem sleeping. Those two characters (and the actors portraying them) are from SS1, and the SS are getting a soft reboot.

There’s nothing to be gained anymore from those two titles, and besides, A Leto Joker is never going to best Heath or Joaquin in performance.

I’d like to see Birds of Prey & Gotham City Sirens (and then a vs), alongside Supergirl and a new Superman; of which would factor in to a new JL with Patterson, Gadot & Mamoa.

Few people seem to have any interest in Cyborg, and it seems there’s a strong desire for the Flash to be recast, so if there’s to be a new JL, let’s replace Cyborg with Hawkgirl or someone, and ensure we’ve got at least one Green Lantern on the team.

I forgot that the Cyborg movie was supposed to be a thing but honestly Cyborg works better as a supporting character.

I'm against handing an entire "universe" to one guy. Just do it the way they're doing now, by handing different properties to different creative teams and directors and let them have fun with them.
EFF Cinematic Universes!

But leave Greg Berlanti out of this, for God's sake. Leave him on The CW. I can't stand his take on the DC superheroes and am sick of seeing him everywhere.

Ditto BUT he is connected to Doom patrol that i love ( and i like some Titans moments)

Ditto BUT he is connected to Doom patrol that i love ( and i like some Titans moments)
He's connected with so many DC shows, and yet the absolute best one isn't even gonna involve him, it's gonna end up being the one from Abrams' friend Lindelof lol

I'm against handing an entire "universe" to one guy. Just do it the way they're doing now, by handing different properties to different creative teams and directors and let them have fun with them.
EFF Cinematic Universes!

1000 times this! I hope the takeaway from the success of Joker isn’t gritty villain origin stories but filmmakers with a vision to create compelling one offs with these DC characters powered by powerful actors who might not sign on to a 10 picture deal.

EFF Cinematic Universes!

But leave Greg Berlanti out of this, for God's sake. Leave him on The CW. I can't stand his take on the DC superheroes and am sick of seeing him everywhere.

Yeah, or at least get a few people together to handle a shared universe and all...or at least dont give the keys to a guy like Zack Snyder.
But in general, yeah let this stuff be built up by several people and not just one.

And yes, please dont give Berlanti more and bigger stuff to throw at the wall.

*How involved was Zach Snyder from a producing standpoint? I'll have to check again but I also wonder how much BvS was his idea and how much say he had in terms of the production schedule after WB greenlighted the film to begin production right after BvS left theaters (may've still been playing in some) making him mess with the script right when trying to start filming. Of course, WB then went in panic mode throughout the whole process as the AT&T merger about to happen and really no organized system for overseeing DC films for quite a while it seems to me. Zach Snyder wasn't in a role similar to Kevin Feige I don't think.

*To take creative risks and provide interesting content I fully agree with having no 1 person as the head of a DCU. An organized studio that's it's own department within WB sure as things are just too chaotic these past few years otherwise. I think team based risk taking on separate projects should be implemented without needing to connect everything all the time.

*I tried listing off all the films coming up or in limbo in previous post cause I was thinking how many actually do need to be connected and how many can be kept separate?

Last edited:
Why lead something that's barely even a thing anymore?

Just have JJ work his magic and make a safe and critic friendly Superman movie

Birds of Prey
Wonder Woman 84

The Batman
The Suicide Squad

Aquaman 2
The Flash
Green Lantern

Shazam 2
Black Adam
Superman

Beyond...is anyone's guess

I'm all for JJ Abrams taking charge in the DCEU as long as they let him do it but did you guys read his ideas for Superman in the past? I'm not sure comic fans would have liked them...like at all. I say let him be DCEU's Feige and handle things like the Justice League but as far as individual heroes, I'm just not sure...........Green Lantern but again......not sure.

I think JJ Abrams will maybe focus on some of the Warnermedia SVOD content for now. Apparently Strange Tales and Green Lantern are being now relegated to that with perhaps other DC properties doing so as well according to some articles posted on CBM today.

Birds of Prey
Wonder Woman 84

The Batman
The Suicide Squad

Aquaman 2
The Flash
Green Lantern

Shazam 2
Black Adam
Superman

Beyond...is anyone's guess

Shazam, Black Adam, and Superman all in 1 year? With respect I have to say I don't think so. Also, just putting Flash and Green Lantern next to Aquaman 2 cause puzzle pieces need to be put in place I don't think works either.

I put a "?" for recently announced films I thought on the docket but not in limbo yet while a "nixed/development hell" area to put films that were announced a while ago with little updates that don't seem likely to see the light at the end of the tunnel at least for now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
monke77
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"