John Murphy/The Score & Composer Thread

Right off the bat, I really hope Gunn introduces us to his Superman by showing us a huge save ( maybe a huge cruise ship or aircraft carrier is sinking )
We see the save with the new theme blaring in our ears. Let it burn into our memory.

And oh, start the scene off with clark in the DP.
He hears the commotion with his superhearing. He Peeks over his glasses and sees the unfolding disaster.
( the theme starts to slowly build. )

He finds an empty room, ( the theme is getting louder.)

He does an epic shirt rip, and we see it all in all it's glory ( no cutaways )
( the theme is thunderingly loud by now.)

He Flys off out a window, and that beautiful theme is screaming "here comes superman" then we see the save.

Last edited:
I decided to listen to Murphy's GG3 score and I feel little better about the choice. The score isn't bad, I just wished he had incorporated the Guardians theme into the music more.

I'm very antsy about his Superman theme.

I've already written it off, tbh. If he manages to surprise me, cool. But right now, I'm more interested in the needle drops.
Ikr. I mean this will go either one of two ways. He'll either give us a theme we'll remember 20 years from now

or,

We'll have to look it up to remember what it was.

I’m hoping that Murphy can create something for the Superman theme in the vein of his Adagio in D that was recycled in WW84. That is a beautiful piece, even if it is somewhat overused and over saturated now.

That said, I just want a good score that compliments the story-telling. This was what I thought was amazing about Black Panther. Everything and everyone had a theme in that film that was intentional. I’m still amazed that Kilmomger’s theme is a sampling of an African themed piece layered with hip hop and Beethoven. It really informs the character even if at the end, I’m not humming it like I might the Krypton fanfare or the Imperial March.
You know, I had no idea that was him.

That scene is easily the best scene in the film, and the score plays a huge role in that.

I've already written it off, tbh. If he manages to surprise me, cool. But right now, I'm more interested in the needle drops.
I wish I could be as blase about it as you. Scores are a big part of my enjoyment when it comes to movies, especially superhero ones, and the source music isn't nearly as interesting (unless it's original songs).

As long as Murphy's score isn't actively bad I can live with bland music if the film itself is good.

I wish I could be as blase about it as you. Scores are a big part of my enjoyment when it comes to movies, especially superhero ones, and the source music isn't nearly as interesting (unless it's original songs).

As long as Murphy's score isn't actively bad I can live with bland music if the film itself is good.
I love a good score, but some of my favorite musical moments of all-time in movies have been with songs, so as long as one of the two are memorably good, I'll be good with it.

Don't worry be happy needs to play as we see a day in the life of Lex, having hissy fits, throwing things, having people killed, as plans don't go correctly.

I'mma just leave this here
:funny:

I'm all for John Murphy if it's him at his A Game. This isn't the first time a well regarded composer has coasted through the last few soundtracks only to come out with a genuine banger. Giacchino himself did exactly that, with The Batman

Here's hoping Murphy joins him

My thoughts haven't really changed. If there's any movie where we're likely to get Sunshine John Murphy instead of GOTG3 John Murphy, it's gonna be the movie about the most iconic and important superhero of all time.

If Murphy flubs this, it's virtually a write off for any soundtrack he does from here on out. Which isn't impossible, but as I said, this is probably the most likely we'll see the John Murphy of old that we'll ever get. I felt very similarly to all of you when it came to Giacchino composing The Batman given his previous lackluster track record of his MCU movie compositions.

Then he came out with this

It's not worth writing John Murphy off just yet

I felt very similarly to all of you when it came to Giacchino composing The Batman given his previous lackluster track record of his MCU movie compositions.

Then he came out with this

It's not worth writing John Murphy off just yet

I was so shocked when Giacchino was basically doing a revamped version of Shirley Walker's Batman score. It couldn't be more perfect.

I'm pretty sure Gunn has what he wants in his head, and has already hummed it out to Murphy.
I'll be shocked if he just let's him come up with it on his own.

I'm pretty sure Gunn has what he wants in his head, and has already hummed it out to Murphy.
I'll be shocked if he just let's him come up with it on his own.
As far as I know Gunn isn't a musician. I highly doubt he hired Murphy just so he could dictate the score to him note by note.

Will he articulate what his vision for the music is? Sure. But Gunn isn't Clint Eastwood, he's not going to be scoring the film himself.

Directors don't usually give their composers a pre-made theme. That kinda stunts the creative process lol.

As far as I know Gunn isn't a musician. I highly doubt he hired Murphy just so he could dictate the score to him note by note.

Will he articulate what his vision for the music is? Sure. But Gunn isn't Clint Eastwood, he's not going to be scoring the film himself.
And I plainly said he will tell him what he wants, ie, articulate.
And he will probably Hum out what he has in his mind.
He will leave it to Murphy to create it.
I mean if this was your film, and you were in gunn's shoes, would you not have a theme playing around in your head?
I know I would.

I've always sort of associated Superman music with trumpets & brass. I am sure everyone was just playing off of John William's theme, but I wonder if they will lean into that at all. Avengers' theme is also trumpets/brass and I have always really liked that theme as well.

I've always sort of associated Superman music with trumpets & brass. I am sure everyone was just playing off of John William's theme, but I wonder if they will lean into that at all. Avengers' theme is also trumpets/brass and I have always really liked that theme as well.
There is a good breakdown on YouTube about the reasoning behind the choices for the music. Mostly covering John Williams work. Sorry I don't have the link.

I’d like a jazz-inspired theme like The Incredibles, I think it’d work really well with Superman.

And I plainly said he will tell him what he wants, ie, articulate.
And he will probably Hum out what he has in his mind.
He will leave it to Murphy to create it.
I mean if this was your film, and you were in gunn's shoes, would you not have a theme playing around in your head?
I know I would.
I don't think I could create a tune in my head to hum thats also themed for a character. I wouldn't assume it's that easy if you aren't musically inclined. Composers and musicians DO have that talent though. I'm sure we'll get something that sounds like Superman.

I don't think I could create a tune in my head to hum thats also themed for a character. I wouldn't assume it's that easy if you aren't musically inclined. Composers and musicians DO have that talent though. I'm sure we'll get something that sounds like Superman.
I find the Fleischer theme to be a strong Superman theme so if it can get even close enough to that I'll be happy.

Being of a certain age… I’d count Williams’ Superman theme and Elfman’s Batman theme as being particularly distinctive and rousing within the superhero genre.

But at least for me, more recent examples are harder to cite. Notable exceptions: I did like Zimmer’s MOS score. Also… Patrick Doyle’s music for Thor (especially the end credits bit); Gregson-William’s “No Man’s Land” from Wonder Woman; and certain tracks from ZSJL by Holkenborg. All, IMO, very superhero-y.

John Murphy wrote (or at least co-wrote) the famous Adagio in D Minor. So perhaps he has it in him to create an equally inspiring, new “Superman theme.” :fingerscrossed:

Superman IS the goat, his theme can't be just any generic superhero sound.
When I hear it, as I'm sure you do, I want to have that feeling of "yup, thats superman".

For better or worse, it's going to be compared to Williams theme by the public, whether we want it to or not, it just is.
I don't envy him in his task to create a theme, especially this theme.

I'm just messing around with ai and thought I would see what it would pump out.

I'm just messing around with ai and thought I would see what it would pump out.

I like it. I can see superman performing a huge save to that. ( saving a ship, stopping an asteroid, etc )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"