John Turturro IS Carmine Falcone.

32niy2n6ocd81.jpg

saw this on twitter. apparently from a new spot.

Very curious about the context of Falcone’s confrontation with Bruce out of costume that I’ve seen in one of the TV spots.

So according to this interview junket, Turturro's son is an editor at DC Comics and gave his Dad a very specific reading list to prep as Carmine.

This production really is a passion project from a bunch of fans of the character and his world (who also have the talent to back that passion up, which is the more important element).

it doesn't matter now but was ther another actor considered for the part?

Turturro's Falcone hasn't gotten a lot of comment since the release of the film, but I thought he was really great. In particular, his first meeting with Selina was an effortlessly sinister one. Her POV shot of him made him look quite intimidating.

Interesting how they kinda/sorta made his character an amalgam of Carmine, Alberto and Sofia, what with the closeted serial killing he had going on, lol. He really likes to strangle 'em.

Turturro's Falcone hasn't gotten a lot of comment since the release of the film, but I thought he was really great. In particular, his first meeting with Selina was an effortlessly sinister one. Her POV shot of him made him look quite intimidating.

Interesting how they kinda/sorta made his character an amalgam of Carmine, Alberto and Sofia, what with the closeted serial killing he had going on, lol. He really likes to strangle 'em.
that didn't really come to mind for me personally. I actually kinda wonder if they'll include Alberto or Sofia in the future, but probably not otherwise we would've got a mention of them in this one

Does he have scars on his face throughout? I can't tell, it sure looked like he did on set.

Second viewing, appreciated his performance a lot more. Understated and nuanced, and just fantastic.
Here's hoping we see him in THE PENGUIN.

If its bouncing between a sequel and prequel throughout the series he should definitely show up.

I honestly didn't know he was in this until about a week before release. I admittedly haven't been keeping up with the boards as much as I used to. I've kinda become a real adult since TDK, buuuut man was I happy to see him in this.

what's scary is that he seemed like this genteel, polished mafia boss in the beginning.
but
as we learn, he has a history of murdering innocent women.

in a way, he's a more horrifying villain than the riddler in this movie.
he's the bigger monster here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jesus. What a lowkey horrifying villain Falcone is.

what's scary is that he seemed like this genteel, polished mafia boss in the beginning.
but
Yup. I really appreciated here how Falcone was not your usual mob boss movie stereotype in this, like how Nolan portrayed Falcone and Maroni (which was how the comics did it as well). It is fitting with Gotham's deep seated corruption and festering evil, Falcone here is much worse, much more vile. It is very interesting and new interpretation. In Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory, the mob characters are very much portrayed in accordance with those archetypes and it is their demise and the vacuum created by it, that causes Gotham's turn to darker, weirder criminality with the rise of the freaks. This film portrays that darkness and evil as pre-existing the rise of the freaks which is very interesting to me.

And to be honest, this actually probably a more realistic depiction of mobsters. Typically, they are portrayed in film as having a code, Roman Catholic faith, and their machismo/chauvinism preventing them from going after women and children. But in truth, they are pretty vile sociopaths, who don't really have empathy for others, and the romantic stereotypes that started with The Godfather are probably pretty inaccurate.

Yup. I really appreciated here how Falcone was not your usual mob boss movie stereotype in this, like how Nolan portrayed Falcone and Maroni (which was how the comics did it as well). It is fitting with Gotham's deep seated corruption and festering evil, Falcone here is much worse, much more vile. It is very interesting and new interpretation. In Year One, The Long Halloween, and Dark Victory, the mob characters are very much portrayed in accordance with those archetypes and it is their demise and the vacuum created by it, that causes Gotham's turn to darker, weirder criminality with the rise of the freaks. This film portrays that darkness and evil as pre-existing the rise of the freaks which is very interesting to me.

And to be honest, this actually probably a more realistic depiction of mobsters. Typically, they are portrayed in film as having a code, Roman Catholic faith, and their machismo/chauvinism preventing them from going after women and children. But in truth, they are pretty vile sociopaths, who don't really have empathy for others, and the romantic stereotypes that started with The Godfather are probably pretty inaccurate.

absolutely. that's what's scary.
falcone felt very real here.
these types of people exist.
human scum.

Turturro's Falcone was terrific. I loved his icy sociopathic Falcone. And I did love how he contributed to Bruce's arc in that
of course the true culprit is a recluse like Bruce and how Thomas wanted him to use fear as a tool to deter Elliot from revealing the story about Martha. I did love how at the end of it all the face of the corruption was Falcone murdering this girl to cover it all up.

It's classic noir. The serial murders aren't the real crime so much as the crimes of everyone in Gotham.

Creepy thought about the scars he starts the film out with:

Considering how Selina inflicted more claw marks on him while being strangled, it’s quite possible his older scars came from another woman he strangled… and maybe even Selina’s mom herself.

Really good observation. That scene with Selina plays out with an underlying implication that this isn't the first time he's doing what he's doing, and it adds another layer of subversive vulgarity to the act.

Well yeah, even without the implication that he killed Selina's mother, you still hear him strangle Annika on the tape.

Well yeah, even without the implication that he killed Selina's mother, you still hear him strangle Annika on the tape.

To be honest I forgot about that. Yeah, that makes it even more obvious. Like strangling a girl to death with a pool stick is his preferred method of execution. That Selina is his daughter makes it feel even more perverse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"