Johnny Depp sues ex-wife Amber Heard over article

I am disappointed that Amber Heard is trying to turn this into a freedom of speech issue. It’s not like she was arrested by the U.S. government for her op-Ed piece. She’s still allowed to say whatever she wants to say, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences. She’s using the same “argument” that people use when they get “canceled” (mostly from conservatives or Hollywood people who are metoo’d).

Haven't kept up with this case in great detail but this tweet is basically enough for me to know the jury ****ed up.

They both seem like deeply flaw individuals that never should of been in a relationship together. Both seemed abusive to me. Can't be too surprised people are siding with with Depp given he has been an A-List celebrity for decades and that offers a layer of insulation from issues in some people's eyes.

Heard's refusal to accept any wrong doing despite the credible allegations against her (pooping in their bed, severing Depp's finger, hitting Depp in the face, ect) also didn't help.

I've seen people trying to turn this case into a domestic violence/feminism issue which I can understand on some level given the way Heard has been treated in comparison to Depp. I don't really think it is a good case to take a domestic abuse stance on though since it seemed mutually abusive and volatile.

Pretty much yeah.
I see both as victims and abusers, just a toxic mix with those two.

But im utterly shocked at the public how they handled this.
People on tiktok making fun of heard during her testimony etc...disgusting.
No matter what people think of her, the way people reacted must have been so repulsive to abuse victim, must have been so awful to see.
The glee in which they attacked, made fun of heard...the vilification while acting like Depp never would hurt a fly.
The way people joked about Depps struggles and all...on every corner the public acted absolutely disgusting during this.

My opinion hasn't changed at all in this even after this recent lawsuit. They were both in a toxic relationship & at one time or another both was a victim in the relationship.

I don't get the celebration that Depp has won this lawsuit as if he's a saint in all this, really is quite amazing to me.

It’s just bizarre to me. There’s audio of him admitting to cutting his own finger and physically abusing Amber. Plus all those texts. I don’t get how anyone can see that and think he’s innocent.

And the actual lines of the op-ed that he was suing over have nothing to do with him. One of them was a damn headline that Amber didn’t even write.

This isn’t in any way a victory for abuse survivors.

I gotta say that one of the most amusing and bizarre moments of this trial was DC and comic hero talk. Momoa/Gal Gadot, were mentioned here. It went on for close to 40 minutes. I couldn't look away.

I havent spent a lot of time on the case so i dont know all the details, but why didnt heard donate the money she promised to donate?
Did she promise it? Im not sure, getting most of this case through social media is a very bad idea when looking for more facts when it gives you pretty much the only fact that those two were bad for each other(and that humans on social media in general are awful).

A lot of the stuff i came across as a Random person, made her look rather bad while Depp came off as a very likeable guy that just wants justice.
Probably one of the reasons why people tend to overlook the nastier stuff on his side.

I havent spent a lot of time on the case so i dont know all the details, but why didnt heard donate the money she promised to donate?
Did she promise it?
Im not sure, getting most of this case through social media is a very bad idea when looking for more facts when it gives you pretty much the only fact that those two were bad for each other(and that humans on social media in general are awful).

A lot of the stuff i came across as a Random person, made her look rather bad while Depp came off as a very likeable guy that just wants justice.
Probably one of the reasons why people tend to overlook the nastier stuff on his side.

I watched parts of the trial on youtube.
Heard pledged millions to charity but at the time of this trial didn't donate the money and when Depp lawyer asked about that fact (having donated nothing) heard said: for me pledge and donate are the same thing.
Apparently she needed the money because Depp sued her.

It’s just bizarre to me. There’s audio of him admitting to cutting his own finger and physically abusing Amber. Plus all those texts. I don’t get how anyone can see that and think he’s innocent.

And the actual lines of the op-ed that he was suing over have nothing to do with him. One of them was a damn headline that Amber didn’t even write.

This isn’t in any way a victory for abuse survivors.

The finger always felt like a bit of a reach to me. He says "The day I chopped my finger off", which could be as you describe or it could be him phrasing it in the same way as someone saying "the day I broke my leg". The latter obviously doesn't mean you yourself broke your leg intentionally. That alone doesn't automatically suggest that he chopped his own finger off. The only part about that I found odd was Depp trying to insist he said "the day I got my finger chopped off", but that could also just be him misremembering the conversation or mishearing the audio itself.

The texts are awful and downright disturbing, that goes without saying. And it definitely could be an indication of emotional motive to abuse Heard, unfortunately. But there's still enough reasonable doubt there. Extremely disturbing texts to actual abuse is one hell of an escalation, that alone isn't enough to suggest beyond a reasonable doubt that that escalation has occurred. Especially considering the possible context surrounding those texts being an abuse victim venting over his abuser to a trusted friend. Doesn't make those texts correct, but that being a possibility means the texts alone aren't enough.

I can't say I saw any footage or heard any audio where Depp physically abuses Heard. Same goes with the headline that Amber didn't write and that type of thing. If you could point me in the right direction, that'd be greatly appreciated.

I watched parts of the trial on youtube.
Heard pledged millions to charity but at the time of this trial didn't donate the money and when Depp lawyer asked about that fact (having donated nothing) heard said: for me pledge and donate are the same thing.
Apparently she needed the money because Depp sued her.

Problem is that she had made this pledge and had this money a full year and some change before Depp sued her, as pointed out by Depp's hot lawyer and she didn't donate the money at all, but she went on talk shows and said that she did and told the UK judge that she did etc. Yes, both were awful, but Heard is on some Gone Girl type energy which was scary to hear and watch. Not to mention them infidelities with Elon and Franco etc.

Problem is that she had made this pledge and had this money a full year and some change before Depp sued her, as pointed out by Depp's hot lawyer and she didn't donate the money at all, but she went on talk shows and said that she did and told the UK judge that she did etc. Yes, both were awful, but Heard is on some Gone Girl type energy which was scary to hear and watch. Not to mention them infidelities with Elon and Franco etc.

I was just trying to answer Mani Man's question. I know she didn't donate anything.

Heard had made payments. The plan was to make the full donation over 10 years. And she went to the ACLU when Depp sued her to let them know she was having financial trouble. The ACLU acknowledged all this and said she was still committed to fulfilling the full donation.

I know it's popular to criticize juries and verdicts that come out differently than you think they should, but these are people selected by both contending parties, sit through days and sometimes weeks of testimony, and then convene to work out what they think happened. Because of that, I generally take jury verdicts as being relatively fair. Do I sometimes think they screwed up? Sure, but it's not like both sides didn't have a fair shot. Generally, the only exceptions I make to this approach are when a defendant doesn't have the money to defend themself and when police are accused of something. The law doesn't really protect people without means and gives the police WAY too much deference and latitude. In order to convict a cop, the evidence basically has to be overwhelming that they acted with malicious intent; something that's very hard to do.

Reactions: B
Heard had made payments. The plan was to make the full donation over 10 years. And she went to the ACLU when Depp sued her to let them know she was having financial trouble. The ACLU acknowledged all this and said she was still committed to fulfilling the full donation.

She claimed that she had donated 7 million some 5 months before Depp sued her. The long-term donation might've been her plan but given she's making a long term donation, it's pretty safe to say she hadn't donated that money at this point.

I must've missed this 10 year period payment period, which to my knowledge wasn't brought up as a point by Heard's team? I honestly don't remember if I'm being honest, I was too focused looking at Camille Vasquez.

I must've missed this 10 year period payment period, which to my knowledge wasn't brought up as a point by Heard's team? I honestly don't remember if I'm being honest, I was too focused looking at Camille Vasquez.

As far as I recall, there was testimony from someone high up with ACLU who did claim that Heard's donated some 700k of the money she intends to donate.

WRT this being a blow to the Me Too movement, I don't see it that way. Generally speaking, it's not in a woman's best interest to lie about something and my first reaction was, and is, to believe what they say. There will always be exceptions to that rule.

Also, this is the vid I was talking about. Seeing these folks talk about DC universe, Batmen, WW, etc is oddly fascinating and bizarre.

The problem is Heard said she donated rather than she pledged and she didn’t sign an official pledge form. The ACLU is all good with her but it still didn’t look good.

Also, this is the vid I was talking about. Seeing these folks talk about DC universe, Batmen, WW, etc is oddly fascinating and bizarre.

Yeah.....I watched part of it and agree. I almost couldn't stop. :funny: I didn't know that about marketing budgets. LOL

I know it's popular to criticize juries and verdicts that come out differently than you think they should, but these are people selected by both contending parties, sit through days and sometimes weeks of testimony, and then convene to work out what they think happened. Because of that, I generally take jury verdicts as being relatively fair. Do I sometimes think they screwed up? Sure, but it's not like both sides didn't have a fair shot. Generally, the only exceptions I make to this approach are when a defendant doesn't have the money to defend themself and when police are accused of something. The law doesn't really protect people without means and gives the police WAY too much deference and latitude. In order to convict a cop, the evidence basically has to be overwhelming that they acted with malicious intent; something that's very hard to do.

WRT this being a blow to the Me Too movement, I don't see it that way. Generally speaking, it's not in a woman's best interest to lie about something and my first reaction was, and is, to believe what they say. There will always be exceptions to that rule.

Generally speaking, I'm of the belief that if you tell me you've been abused, assaulted or anything of the like, I'll believe you, but I'm also a subscriber to the innocent until proven otherwise belief regardless of how it might initially seem.

In this particular instance, I believe them both when they say they've been abused by the other, both physically & verbally. There are too many red flags on both sides for simply all of it to be untrue from one side.

Generally speaking, I'm of the belief that if you tell me you've been abused, assaulted or anything of the like, I'll believe you, but I'm also a subscriber to the innocent until proven otherwise belief regardless of how it might initially seem.

In this particular instance, I believe them both when they say they've been abused by the other, both physically & verbally. There are too many red flags on both sides for simply all of it to be untrue from one side.
If I had to guess, I'd agree with you. That being said, here's the thing.....we don't know as much as the jury does. I have a strong tendency to reel back my opinions in matters of this nature because, frankly, of my ignorance. I don't consider ignorance a pejorative word. We're all ignorant on certain issues and I tend to trust experts. I also realize that experts is a relative term and a good dose of skepticism isn't a bad thing. THAT being said, if you are going to be a skeptic, be one for a good reason and bone up on your facts. Those facts sometimes seem to be in short supply these days when people express their opinions.

Being "different" is difficult in every society I know of. "Different" can mean a lot of things and a woman coming out and saying she has been abused is "different". By and large, if someone comes out and says they've been abused, they are most likely telling the truth because that's a hard thing to say. It's essentially saying that someone powered on you and I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to admit that. We have a legal system that bends towards the powerful (ie people with money) and I find it difficult to watch. When I think of people who are imprisoned for ridiculous "crimes" when others go free because they can afford a decent attorney or fit cultural norms, it almost literally makes me sick. In a situation like this, you had people of means, both of whom are probably out of touch with any sense of social norms, and, because of that, I worry less about them than I do about some dude(tte) who's spent years in jail because they smoked something that doesn't put a bullet in people.

I am disappointed that Amber Heard is trying to turn this into a freedom of speech issue. It’s not like she was arrested by the U.S. government for her op-Ed piece. She’s still allowed to say whatever she wants to say, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t consequences. She’s using the same “argument” that people use when they get “canceled” (mostly from conservatives or Hollywood people who are metoo’d).

I dont have a horse in this race, but I do think people forget about freedom of speech not being freedom from consequence. It's always good to reiterate that

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"