The Dark Knight Rises Johnny Depp wants the Riddler role

maveholic31

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=13973&count=0

At this point, everyone is still unsure about whether a third "Batman" movie will ever happen. But just in case that it does, MTV News wanted to know if Johnny Depp would consider joining the cast as The Riddler.

"It seems that it would be alright. I always liked the Riddler," said Depp. "I always liked Frank Gorshin (actor who played The Riddler in the 60s "Batman" show). Frank Gorshin was brilliant, I always thought he was a great actor. If the opportunity came, I would definitely juggle it."

Depp is pretty busy right now with "The Lone Ranger," "Pirates of the Caribbean 4" and many other projects getting ready to go into production. But it seems that he is willing to squeeze in "Batman 3," even though he also revealed that he will not make room in his schedule for Terry Gilliam's "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote."

Well, I guess fans will go nuts for a few days... though Bale's recent comments have put a hamper in things (about Batman 3 not happening possibly) I'm glad to read Depp's thoughts on this role and it's refreshing to hear the man cite Gorshin's take on the character. Hope everything falls into place and the next film will come out.
I can wait for 2012... can you? :brucebat:

btw if mods want to delete this post go ahead, I didn't check the riddler main vote thread set up if they have news or if they just discuss which actor they want for the part. Thanks.

I like Johnny Depp he's a wide range actor that can do almost anything from sort of child-like delusional Willy Wonka to funny swaggering Captain Jack. I think he's an actor like Ledger who would bring something to the roll, I mean I'd imagine he'd do a combination of Frank Gorshin and a dark Riddler giving his Riddler a sort of cold calculating yet egotistical wacky nature.

This would be fantastic. I would love to see Depp as the Riddler if the character is in the movie.

He would be my first choice... even if the majority wants him to do it and it could be quite predictable.

He's a good actor... on that the Bat-franchise would be fortunate of having. But it won't happen.

What if Riddler's not even in it? ha ha. Cast him as The Joker.

I kind of cringe anytime an actor references the Adam West series, and only the Adam West series.

I kind of cringe anytime an actor references the Adam West series, and only the Adam West series.

Well we all know Nolan makes the actors read Batman comics, so i would see Johnny studying the character for the role and making a perfectly comic loyal one. :)

We'd be incredibly fortunate if Depp were to come into this franchise. It always makes me smile to see respected actors show interest in the series.

Well we all know Nolan makes the actors read Batman comics, so i would see Johnny studying the character for the role and making a perfectly comic loyal one. :)

He'll play the character that's written for him. I'm not suggesting otherwise.

It's just a shame so many people only have exposure to these characters through that series, and also Batman Forever in the case of Riddler.

Wait, hold up... Did Bale say something recently about not returning for a third film? I thought he was contracted to do it, with or without Nolan.

Wait, hold up... Did Bale say something recently about not returning for a third film? I thought he was contracted to do it, with or without Nolan.

He is contracted, hes just talking rubbish

Damn, just found the article. Man, this is such a bizarre situation. Normally, in this type of franchise, if one of the movies is unsuccessful financially or critically (or both), it's typically unlikely that a sequel will be made. But here we have one of the most successful and critically acclaimed movies of all time... and it might be the last.

I can understand the reasoning... you don't want to make a bad third film (Spider-Man 3, X-Men: The Last Gasp, Superman III). It's easy to say, "well, we'll learn from other people's mistakes and make a great conclusion" but those are just words. And even if the script looks great on paper, you never know how something will turn out until the cameras start rolling.

It's also unique due to the tragedy of Ledger's death... anyway you look at it, it's a depressing situation and bringing everyone back together could result in an overwhelming, sad feeling of "man, he should be here for this..." which could hamper performances, direction, etc. Because as we all know, TDK did end with the possibility of The Joker returning, and I'm sure he would have sooner or later.

I really do hope we get a third film, with Bale, Nolan and everyone else. But if we don't, well... at least we got two great movies; the second of which practically felt like two films, so I guess you could say we almost got our Bat Trilogy.

yeah it is kinda sad, but i really think everyone will be back. Its just going to take a while. 2012-2013 seems more realistic.

I think that as long as Nolan stays directing the movies, the third one will be wicked.
I'd like to see Johnny Depp play the riddler, because I think he has the acting abilities to pull it off like Ledger's Joker.

However, I think it would be interesting to keep the character of Coleman Reese going, and eventually making him into The Riddler. considering that the Riddler WAS a disgruntled ex-employee of Wayne Enterprises (Which Reese is, is he not?) But I guess in order to stay true to the comics, he would have to be called Edward Nigma.

It would be interesting though.

I don't need to see Coleman Reese ever again. He looked like the milquetoast son of Booger from Revenge of the Nerds.

YES

But, i would like to see a more serious Riddler. Depp could pull that off.

Bale, Depp, Nolan :up: :up: :up:

I think that as long as Nolan stays directing the movies, the third one will be wicked.
I'd like to see Johnny Depp play the riddler, because I think he has the acting abilities to pull it off like Ledger's Joker.

However, I think it would be interesting to keep the character of Coleman Reese going, and eventually making him into The Riddler. considering that the Riddler WAS a disgruntled ex-employee of Wayne Enterprises (Which Reese is, is he not?) But I guess in order to stay true to the comics, he would have to be called Edward Nigma.

It would be interesting though.

yeah i thought at first he was a nod towards the riddler. employee of wayne enterprises, going in checking files, finding out who batman was.. i mean his freaking name is MR REESE (mysterys!), it was a little while after i was like well, hes not Edward Nigma though is he lol kinda weird. maybe he changes his name or something down the line, noone knows what nolan had in mind...

na the Reese idea is kind of weak and has been done I'd rather the Riddler be a new character

I imagine that if Depp Signs up for this then He'll push all other projects aside. I personally would be looking for more casting desicions to be coming from the next nolan flick.

imagine if in the next film it was Hugh Jackman Christian Bale and Johnny Depp playing against each other.

imagine if in the next film it was Hugh Jackman Christian Bale and Johnny Depp playing against each other.

Who the hell would Jackman be, Bat-Mite?

Who the hell would Jackman be, Bat-Mite?

Great, now I've got to clean up the milk that squirted out of my nose.

But I still think David Tennant should have the part. Not to put Depp down, but I just don't like him for the role based on how he looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"