Joker 2019 boxoffice predictions

A 55M R-rated character piece lead by a psychopath would a be a risk for any studio in this day and age.

An arguably Top 10 CBM character and easily #1 CB villain of all time that has had multiple appearances in TV and Movie in a genre where R-Rated & CBM have grossed well.

I know after the Snyder debacle, they were looking to do some low risk titles with smaller budgets, hence Shazam, Joker & BOP. I just found it surprising with the smaller budgets they still needed help financing.

An arguably Top 10 CBM character and easily #1 CB villain of all time that has had multiple appearances in TV and Movie in a genre where R-Rated & CBM have grossed well.

So what? He’s never had a movie without Batman before, there’s been r-rated comic book movies but not with a psychopath as your lead, it’s nothing like a general comic book movie that we’ve seen before. This was far from a sure thing.

This was less of a risk now than it would have been in say the early 2000s. I just disagree that this was such a huge risk because of the low money spent.

A 55M R-rated character piece lead by a psychopath would a be a risk for any studio in this day and age.

In that respect, yes, it's risky. It's puzzling they used two co-financing companies for Joker (rather than just one) because the movie cost half of WB spent on Shazam!. Arguably, that and Aquaman were higher risk movies because they were $100M-$200M... but WB opted out of using co-financers on those.

I take if Todd Phillips and Phoenix want to do a sequel, WB will cut both VR and Bron out to maximize profits.

In that respect, yes, it's risky. It's puzzling they used two co-financing companies for Joker (rather than just one) because the movie cost half of WB spent on Shazam!. Arguably, that and Aquaman were higher risk movies because they were $100M-$200M... but WB opted out of using co-financers on those.

I take if Todd Phillips and Phoenix want to do a sequel, WB will cut both VR and Bron out to maximize profits.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joker was an incentive for Bron to be a co-financier for WB's wider slate, Legendary got to co-finance Jurassic World for example despite it being a relatively safe bet for Universal.

Regardless of my feelings towards the movie, I’m blown away by the numbers this movie is putting up. Simply amazing.

I’m convinced WB should earmark October for DC properties in the future. Just like Marvel Studios has done by earmarking February, late April/early May and late summer/November.

Still release big titles in prime spots like summer and Christmas (if Disney has to delay a SW or Avatar movie), but fall is no longer a dumping ground for the right movie.

I don't think they'll release DC films every October as WB likes to put award contenders there like the Elvis biopic in 2021 but perhaps every other year from 2022.

Last edited:
I don't think they'll release DC films every October as WB likes to put award contenders there like the Elvis biopic in 2021 but perhaps every other year from 2022.

That's exactly why they put Joker there. Remember they debuted it at a prestigious film festival and they ARE going to be pushing it for award season. If nominated, it won't be the first movie with controversy that has done so(there was Django Unchained and last year's Bohemian Rapsody among others) and it probably won't be the last.

I wouldn't be surprised if Joker was an incentive for Bron to be a co-financier for WB's wider slate, Legendary got to co-finance Jurassic World for example despite it being a relatively safe bet for Universal.

Bron tends to go for high brow fare or indie titles, hence Joker was a perfect fit for them. If anything, WB will sign a bigger deal with Village Roadshow Pictures later on.

WB had this kind of problem when they released the first LEGO movie in 2014, they initially had VR cover 25%, then 50%, then RatPac-Dune another portion. VR was then cut out of future LEGO movies because WB didn't want to split profits three ways.

Bron tends to go for high brow fare or indie titles, hence Joker was a perfect fit for them. If anything, WB will sign a bigger deal with Village Roadshow Pictures later on.

WB had this kind of problem when they released the first LEGO movie in 2014, they initially had VR cover 25%, then 50%, then RatPac-Dune another portion. VR was then cut out of future LEGO movies because WB didn't want to split profits three ways.

Bron also financed Isn't it Romantic and MGM's The Addams Family so they're not picky about titles.

It has potential to come close Venom's heights of over $800 million, or Suicide Squad's $750 million as a low point.

Such a shame the Venom movie grossed so much.

Such a shame the Venom movie grossed so much.
After that incredibly memeable Venom reveal trailer and the infamous line, I'd have been disappointed if the movie made less money.

Yeah looks like i was wrong.
It will probably hit $900 mil WW. Although i still think 1 billion is unlikely.

I thought id hit $760-850 mil. Now its heading for $825-900 mil.

I definitely wouldn’t have thought these kinds of numbers ahead of release.

Bron also financed Isn't it Romantic and MGM's The Addams Family so they're not picky about titles.

They haven’t financed a $100M title so far, they’re very conservative. If they sign on for The Batman, Aquaman 2 or Shazam 2... then yes.

It will probably end between 750M / 800M, incredible for a RatedR film with a budget of 55M

I think it'll end up passing Deadpool for the number 1 R-rated BO

Justice League
Domestic: $229,024,295
Foreign: $428,900,000
Worldwide: $657,924,295
In Release: 119 days / 17 weeks

Joker
Domestic: $201,935,953
Foreign: $354,700,000
Worldwide: $556,635,953
In Release: 11 days / 1.6 weeks

Yikes.

I laughing along with the JOKER about this. HaHaHaHaHa!
Joker10.jpg

Unpublished cover to JOKER #10.
Which was finally printed in the recent Joker: Bronze Age Omnibus by DC.

Who's the artist ? George Pérez ? Looks same style as this, Joker looks same.

A1-Qo-I1-O-UVL.jpg

Its Joker. He's as iconic as Batman himself. So I knew this would make money, whether it was good or not.

But 700-800 million? Fantastic.

Looking at current drops in North America I think Joker should finish around 315M. But maybe it can hold better next two weekends (36-38% then 31-33%) and potentially beat Squad (325), BvS (330) and Aquaman (335).

Maleficent is taking away its legs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"