The Dark Knight Joker crashing party, Bats goes after Rachel

(since the Joker I know would kill everyone in there..)

Isn't the point of The Joker to be completely unpredictable? No one ever knows how The Joker will act in any given situation. He might massacre an entire party, or he might leave having harmed no one. His randomness is an inherent part of the character and I have no problem with him leaving the party having killed no one. Thats my interpretation of The Joker anyway.
As for this apparent "plot hole" it doesn't bother me at all. I just assume that The Joker quickly left before Batman could return or the police could arrive and I didn't feel the need to have it shown.

i am kind of confused how joker got away when batman was already down stairs

The reason they didn't show how he escaped is because there was no escape. He was at the top of a very large building, he would had to have gotten past Batman, security and whatever police arrived on the scene just to get on to the street.

Then again, he escaped from the police by having a bomb go off that he was somehow immured to, so maybe they didn't want to BS escapes in one film.

guess, just makes me think batman and the police force are so stupid they cant gaurd a front door

Joker probably had a rooftop related escape planned. Simple as that.

even so, batman just sat on the car with racheal and did nothing in the time it took Joker to escape?

Batman saved Rachel because (a) he loved her, and (b) she was certain to die if he didn't. Whereas with the party guests, Joker's goons had already been wiped out, Gotham PD were bound to be on their way and thus it was likely Joker was going to make a swift exit before Batman could get back and tackle him on his own.

I agree with this.

The reason they didn't show how he escaped is because there was no escape. He was at the top of a very large building, he would had to have gotten past Batman, security and whatever police arrived on the scene just to get on to the street.

Then again, he escaped from the police by having a bomb go off that he was somehow immured to, so maybe they didn't want to BS escapes in one film.

He could have taken the chopper which Bruce arrived with. It would have been nice to have an escape scene.

Isn't the point of The Joker to be completely unpredictable? No one ever knows how The Joker will act in any given situation. He might massacre an entire party, or he might leave having harmed no one. His randomness is an inherent part of the character and I have no problem with him leaving the party having killed no one. Thats my interpretation of The Joker anyway.
As for this apparent "plot hole" it doesn't bother me at all. I just assume that The Joker quickly left before Batman could return or the police could arrive and I didn't feel the need to have it shown.

All the more reason for Batman to save the most people. Nolan should have Batman save Rachel but in another way. Maybe leave her dangling on a grappling hook?
He took a huge change, If the car wasn't there they would have both died!

Last edited:
It would be damn great if he let Rachel fall to her death, i wish he did it himself in BB. But that's not what I'm arguing. The Batman I grew up with, would either find a way to save them all (since the Joker I know would kill everyone in there..) or save the most lives.
Hew saved the most lives: every one.

Saving Rachel is perfectly understandable , after all Batman is driven by personal reasons, he would save his loved one first, hes not doing it for duty. Plus everyone would chose their loved ones first. And after all, he went after Rachel when got the location from Joker

The problem is not showing what happened next and why Batman didnt immediately rush back to the scene, but that was covered already

That scene didn't bother me at all. He loved Rachel and had to choose.

And Joker simply left the building anyway, that's his unpredictability, right?

I dunno why they couldn't just extend the scene and have Batman grapple back up there only to find the joker had gone. People are on here saying the Jokers unpredictable, but Batman at this point doesn't really know that so he's either predicting the Jokers next move or he just doesn't give a **** that he's left a maniac in a room full of weapons and a large number of people.

It doesn't bother me that Batman chooses to save Rachel or that the Joker does leave without killing anyone, it's the fact that Batman doesn't even seem to be bothered about the rest of the guests.

Last edited:
I have to say that this scene, primarily Batman and Rachel falling, is one of the few nitpicks I have about The Dark Knight. The rest of the film thrives on the tension that every gunshot, every stab wound, and every punch could be fatal, but this scene feels like it came out of one of the Joel Schumacher movies, with Batman falling 30 stories and surviving. Couldn't Nolan have had Batman's cape deploy to slow his and Rachel's fall?

Saving Rachel is perfectly understandable , after all Batman is driven by personal reasons, he would save his loved one first, hes not doing it for duty. Plus everyone would chose their loved ones first. And after all, he went after Rachel when got the location from Joker

Batman thought that Harvey Dent was Gotham's salvation. But when Rachel was in danger too, he chose to save her instead of Dent. Go figure.

The problem is not showing what happened next and why Batman didnt immediately rush back to the scene, but that was covered already

I agree. Joker escaping in a helicopter could have taken 5-10 seconds.

I have to say that this scene, primarily Batman and Rachel falling, is one of the few nitpicks I have about The Dark Knight. The rest of the film thrives on the tension that every gunshot, every stab wound, and every punch could be fatal, but this scene feels like it came out of one of the Joel Schumacher movies, with Batman falling 30 stories and surviving. Couldn't Nolan have had Batman's cape deploy to slow his and Rachel's fall?

I think that's what Nolan tried to do (the cape thing) but it wasn't very convinging.

I agree. Joker escaping in a helicopter could have taken 5-10 seconds.

Who would know. At least a chopper sound would hint it. But Joker's escape plan is not the issue (not to mention they came in an elevator from downstairs, no chopper has landed). The point is Batman just stayed downstairs talking to Rachel without even any interest as to whats going on upstairs. Batman thinking "nah, I wont even be going back there, hes probably gone SOMEHOW by now, Ill just lay here" when he left a room full of armed terrorist and Joker with hostages would be incredibly stupid

Couldn't Nolan have had Batman's cape deploy to slow his and Rachel's fall?

Honestly I would have liked to seen a tip of the hat to Begins where he saves Rachael the same way he saved Ras. He grabs her just before she falls off the incline, uses his other gauntlet to dig into the building and then one arm lifts her. It might be too much of a rip off but at least it could have given a better reason to give Joker time to escape.

Honestly I would have liked to seen a tip of the hat to Begins where he saves Rachael the same way he saved Ras. He grabs her just before she falls off the incline, uses his other gauntlet to dig into the building and then one arm lifts her. It might be too much of a rip off but at least it could have given a better reason to give Joker time to escape.

Probably, but honestly I don't see how falling from a tall building on a taxi could not be seen as a good reason for not getting up instantly and go up the building again.

Probably, but honestly I don't see how falling from a tall building on a taxi could not be seen as a good reason for not getting up instantly and go up the building again.

Cause he's... Batman?

-And as for the criticisms leveled towards the survival of the descent: it's a comic book film. Isolating it as "unrealistic" is a bit of cherrypicking; there is a legion of moments in the film that can be viewed as unrealistic through a filter derived from one's immediate perception of our reality. Superhero films are supposed to be an escape; they are not supposed to be viewed in the same lense as 'real' cinema such as Mystic River, etc, etc. However, to be more technical, the nature of film - scripted and real life (documentaries, etc) - does presuppose an absence of reality. The moment someone picks up a camera and films something, whatever objectivity is lost, as the biases - artistic and political - creep through angle the film towards a certain point. Now, the point can be clearly defined or a sketch (like the films of David Lynch) but film will never be a conduit to reality.

My only criticism of the scene is with how swiftly he put on the Batsuit. That thing doesn't lend itself to being put on in a couple minutes.

Exactly. Not Superman.

What's your point?

Batman isn't a normal human being.

Skills, abilities, and resources

There are a plethora of superheroes without superpowers, but of them all the Batman character relies on "his own scientific knowledge, detective skills, and athletic prowess."[25] In the stories Batman is regarded as one of the world's greatest detectives; if not the world's greatest crime solver.[116] In Grant Morrison's first storyline in JLA, Superman describes Batman as "the most dangerous man on Earth," able to defeat a team of superpowered aliens by himself in order to rescue his imprisoned teammates.[117] He is a master of disguise, often gathering information under the identity of Matches Malone, a notorious gangster. Additionally, the Batman has been repeatedly described as one of the greatest martial artists in the DC Universe, having either trained with or fought against the very best of them including such notables as Lady Shiva, Bronze Tiger, and Richard Dragon. However, Batman's most defining skill and power is his strong commitment to justice and an unwillingness to kill any life, regardless of the situation he is faced with. This unyielding moral aptitude has earned him the respect of several heroes in the DC Universe, most notably that of Superman and Wonder Woman.

What's your point?

Batman isn't a normal human being.

Which is why he survived that fall. But if after that he would just jump and be ready in a second is borderline funny.

Nothing in your quote tells me he can't be hurt after falling from the tallest building in Gotham.

The thing is he wasnt shown or hinted to be impacted in some way after the fall. He was perfectly fine the next day and the fall was never referenced. He had been more beatup and hurt, like in BB when he was knocked down and hit by a falling brick yet he still went to face the villains. I dont think he would resign the pursuit because he felt the hit, especially since all he could do was use the grapple gun to get back there. Again, Joker and the rest had no way out and were very high up, it would take them time to get out. By the time they would reach the floor cops would surround the building. Batman could catch them either still in the room, on the stairs, in the elevator or by the entrance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"