The Dark Knight Dark Knight Motifs

EHTNAMTAB

Civilian
Reaction score
I though it might be interesting to have a new thread looking specifically at some of the symbolism and visual cues in the Dark knight, an area I find pretty interesting.

It seems to me (almost a year on!) that a very prominent, and very diliberate motif throughout the film is that of windows. There a re numerous examples throughout the film, including (I may not have got them all)

*The opening shot, jokers men smashing and going through a window (one of many, many on a huge skyscraper
*the fake batman crashes against the majors office window
*bruce's penthouse feeatures a good deal of large prominent windows, he arrives through one at his party (via helicopter)
*joker shoots out, and pushes rachel through a large window in Bruces skyscraper
*batman captures lau, by crashing through a windows, then being dragged out if the same window
* during the major's assasination, the police are (wrongly) watching the windows of an overlooking building ("frankly, there's a lot of windows out here")
*bruce is almost killed when approaching a booby trapped window in the same scene
* during the interrogation scene, the cell features large windowd through which the police can see batman and the joker - though they are mirrored (so batman and joker can see only themselves) from the other side
*joker, having escaped jail, stick his head out of the police car's window
*the remote detonator is thrown out of a ship window
*at the finaly action scene, the joker picks a building "with such big windows"
*batman pushes joker through a window, then leaves him hanging outside it.

Now, i may be overanalysing, but that seems a lot!
Windows are almost everywhere in this film, and prminently placed and used. What does it show? possibly one of two things:
a) batman (windows being his preffered entry point) is potentially everywhere in each scene

b) Furthermore, from Bruce's penthouse and harvye's office, to the "mean streets" of gotham and the threats of the joker, these are the thin glass divide between order and chaos, madness and sanity..... between the ordered, safe , civilised interiors of the city, and the dangerous anarchic outside (the truck chase, the mayor scene, etc - also, the joker's final hiding place, though a skyscraper, is not enclosed)

It's also interesting to consdier the locations without any view of the outside world (the mob meeting room, the "money pile" location, even the "lower wacker" chase street - all places associated with bad guys, and chaotic behaviour...

Interesting topic.

Fire is another element in the film. Joker likes to use explosives because "everything burns." We have the explosives on the ferries, the explosions that kill Rachel and burns Dent, the pile of money with Lau sitting on top that goes Poof, and the explosion in the jail. Notice too how Batman stands in the ruins after the explosion that kills Rachel. Compare that to how Joker stands in front of the burning pile of money. What I notice is that both characters seem oblivious to the fires. Batman is reflecting inward and Joker is concentrated on his new act of chaos.

I forgot the hospital boom too. Again, Joker is apathetic to the aesthetic. :hehe:

check out this deleted scene:

[YT]V13oMUD4La8[/YT]

Late to the game, but nothing much happening otherwise. :funny:

Dogs are another very obvious motif. I think they're there to represent human society and order. Like people, dogs are social animals that live in packs, complete with hierarchies. But when the going gets tough, it becomes a "dog-eat-dog world." Joker ALMOST says it verbatim in the movie: "When the chips are down, these "civilized" people? They'll eat each other."

And yeah, in TDK, dogs hate Batman. :funny: I guess it's because he threatens whatever idea of order the status quo happens to be at that moment. When the dogs are aligned with the Chechen or Joker, they attack Batman because he's trying to take them down. At the end of the movie, the police dogs chase after Batman because he's now the scapegoat for the entire city. As well as other analogies for fox hunting and such.

As for the numerous windows, I've heard it explained that the transparent glass featured in most of the locations barely contains the anarchy and tension within the film, but both always threaten to break through the order that the good guys try desperately to keep intact.

And fire is pretty obvious. "Some men just want to watch the world burn." :cwink:

The ringing sound of the Joker's theme is also a motif. It just serves as forshadowing to when he is about to show up.

First lines "Three of a kind"
Joker, Batman and Dent ("bought him down to our level") are the "freaks"
Dent, Batman and Gordon make a triumverate
Three locations blow up mid film - dents warehouse, rachels warehouse, gordons mcu
Three mob leaders (one likes the joker, one hates, one is indifferent)
Three targets on the jokers playing card
Three possible outcomes to the ferry games (one ship blown up, joker blows up both, batman stops both)
Three threats broadcast by the joker (the brian dougles one, the coleman reese one and the final one)
Joker has three dogs (i always thought: cerberus?)
Three fake batmen
"Three buttons is a little nineties" - ok that's not so good!
Three of gambols men "make it quick" - that sounds wrong....

The numbers 5 and 2 appear often throughout the movie:

-Two-Face
-Two sides to the coin
-Batman takes the blame for killing five people, two of them cops
-Batman lets five people die, according to Joker
-Harvey is said to be at 250 52nd St.

There might be more.

Two is obvious, but I wonder what the significance of five was?

Go crazy reading about numbers at wikipedia.

...there's more?

I have got to get that thing.
IIRC the DVD has practically nothing. The Blu-Ray has like, 3x as much stuff.

Oh, did you mean deleted scenes? Yeah, they show a few more angles they shot of that explosion. They had like, 7 cameras on it but only used 2 shots. :funny: They're not "deleted scenes," just alternate angles.

IIRC the DVD has practically nothing. The Blu-Ray has like, 3x as much stuff.

Oh, did you mean deleted scenes? Yeah, they show a few more angles they shot of that explosion. They had like, 7 cameras on it but only used 2 shots. :funny: They're not "deleted scenes," just alternate angles.

Yeah I was very disappointed with the features on the DVD.

And hell, it doesn't matter if they're alternate angles or animatics. I'll take whatever I can get.

One thing I've noticed an almost complete absence of is blood-shed. For all the gun fights and stabbings and explosions, no blood on screen. (that I can recall anyway)

So count that as a inverse motif or what you will. I guess it's more to do with locking down a PG-13 rating but still, it's interesting Nolan totally dispenses with using it for affect.

I hope someone put the Blu-Ray features up on youtube.
I thought a lot of them already were. Not that I've looked or anything, but obviously someone bothered to upload that alternate angle. :funny:

Late to the game, but nothing much happening otherwise. :funny:

Dogs are another very obvious motif. I think they're there to represent human society and order. Like people, dogs are social animals that live in packs, complete with hierarchies. But when the going gets tough, it becomes a "dog-eat-dog world." Joker ALMOST says it verbatim in the movie: "When the chips are down, these "civilized" people? They'll eat each other."

And yeah, in TDK, dogs hate Batman. :funny: I guess it's because he threatens whatever idea of order the status quo happens to be at that moment. When the dogs are aligned with the Chechen or Joker, they attack Batman because he's trying to take them down. At the end of the movie, the police dogs chase after Batman because he's now the scapegoat for the entire city. As well as other analogies for fox hunting and such.

As for the numerous windows, I've heard it explained that the transparent glass featured in most of the locations barely contains the anarchy and tension within the film, but both always threaten to break through the order that the good guys try desperately to keep intact.

And fire is pretty obvious. "Some men just want to watch the world burn." :cwink:
:up:.
I also thought that maybe Batman was the loyal, reliable guard(ian) dog on duty, where the Joker represented the mad, unleashed rabid dog running wild (as exemplified by that wonderful shot of the Joker with his head out of the window of the police car) and terrorizing people around him. Two different approaches, two different facets of the same animal.
The symbol of loyalty is a dog, but the guardian of the gates of hell, Cerberus, is also a dog (a three headed one, but a dog nonetheless:woot:.)

Ok, so this one is probably reaching a bit, but I see a chess motif as well. The White Knight (Harvey) and the Dark Knight (Batman). In chess, the white and black pieces face off against each other. Like Two-Face and Batman by the end of the movie. I guess you could say the Joker was the one maneuvering the pieces. :cwink:

Ok, so this one is probably reaching a bit, but I see a chess motif as well. The White Knight (Harvey) and the Dark Knight (Batman). In chess, the white and black pieces face off against each other. Like Two-Face and Batman by the end of the movie. I guess you could say the Joker was the one maneuvering the pieces. :cwink:
Interesting.
In French the Bishop piece is actually called "le Fou", which means "The Jester":woot:. You might be onto something who knows?
Also everyone seems like a Pawn in the Joker's hand.

Interesting.
In French the Bishop piece is actually called "le Fou", which means "The Jester":woot:. You might be onto something who knows?

Ha! Really? I didn't know that...thanks for the info! :D

Also everyone seems like a Pawn in the Joker's hand.
Exactly :up: :up:

I also thought there was a strong Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde motif.
Bruce Wayne tries an experiment by becoming a bat-suited vigilante and this very experiment brings forth or creates the Joker, a kind of Mr Hyde. Even his look I thought was reminiscent of some of the Hydes from the past, specially John Barrymore's (with the long stringy hair, long coat, distorted facial expressions etc...)
And of course, there is also Two-Face, a character said to have been inspired by Stevenson's masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"