The Dark Knight Jokers humor

"If you don't like the movies, I have slides!"

One of the reasons I liked Mark Hamill's voice work done in BTAS was his ability to mix up the giddy carefree laugh of the Joker and that somewhat high pitch when he was having fun, but his voice got downright evil sounding when something didn't go right and he had one of his mood swings. It was great. Given what the character did had to be toned down because it was a kid's show, but still Hamill got the eerie vibe of the character down for me. I wouldn't mind it in the slightest if Ledger acted really corny in a couple of places in the film, then suddenly snapped-it makes the character that much more disturbing, IMO. And realistic too. I think it's the switch from seeing someone go from a nonthreatening oddball to a person you're not sure would kill you at the drop of a hat.

When I think of the Joker, and a "realistic" version of him, he's really just more sick to me than anything.

First in foremost, he's a sociopath. He feels no empathy or remorse for crimes against people or property alike. Where as to Ra's ah Ghul viewed collateral damage as a necessary loss for the greater good, The Joker just does not care.

I don't think having a "humorous" Joker would be enjoyable in this movie, if they continue the mood from Batman Begins. IMO, the humor should come in with the "punchiline" of the crime. Think the recent events in the comics with Harley Quinn, "Her most recent appearance is in Batman #663, in which she helps the Joker with a plan to kill all his former henchmen, unaware that the "punchline" to the scheme is her own death. Upon realising this, she shoots him." (wikipedia)

I think we really will see a completely revamped version of the character with plays on the "theatricality" and "escalation". Not to mention, I really hope to see a huge resentment and patronization of the Batman from The Joker. I think it's going to be great.

"Take this guy... armed robbery, double homicide... has a taste for theatrics, like you... he leaves a calling card. "

cap020zj4.png

Well, Let's heard it, how many of you saw Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker...cause that was one of the definitive Joker perfomances....EVER!!!, c'mon how many?...and I'm sorry but if you haven't seen the uncut version of that movie...let's just say that you should see it as soon as possible...mark hamill best Joker

Anyone read the Paul Dini/Alex Ross run in Batman Black and White? The psychiatrists read over a file that indicates that the Joker is perfectly sane. He just happens to be extremely sadistic, and uses the insanity plea as a loophole to murder just for the hell of it.
That was always my favourite characterization of the Joker as far as his psychosis. Psychotics aren't actually insane, and I find it fairly bemusing that a man who has been turned into a seemingly crazy individual purely through his looks then uses this to his advantage in avoiding prosecution.

Well, Let's heard it, how many of you saw Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker...cause that was one of the definitive Joker perfomances....EVER!!!, c'mon how many?...and I'm sorry but if you haven't seen the uncut version of that movie...let's just say that you should see it as soon as possible...mark hamill best Joker

In the universe of the TAS, yes, that is the close thing to Joker we've ever got. Like the poster above said, "If you don't like the movies, I've got slides!"

Kidnapping Robin, toturing him, subjecting him to "Jokerization", filming the whole thing, rubbing it in Batsy's face. Yes.

Shooting a thug, then calling said thug, "Oh right...dead." Yes.

BUT, TAS Joker had one problem, it was aimed at kids. The Joker isn't called that because he's funny. He's called because, if annything, he's the furthest thing from conventional "funny" there could be.

When I think of the Joker, and a "realistic" version of him, he's really just more sick to me than anything.

First in foremost, he's a sociopath. He feels no empathy or remorse for crimes against people or property alike. Where as to Ra's ah Ghul viewed collateral damage as a necessary loss for the greater good, The Joker just does not care.

I don't think having a "humorous" Joker would be enjoyable in this movie, if they continue the mood from Batman Begins. IMO, the humor should come in with the "punchiline" of the crime. Think the recent events in the comics with Harley Quinn, "Her most recent appearance is in Batman #663, in which she helps the Joker with a plan to kill all his former henchmen, unaware that the "punchline" to the scheme is her own death. Upon realising this, she shoots him." (wikipedia)

I think we really will see a completely revamped version of the character with plays on the "theatricality" and "escalation". Not to mention, I really hope to see a huge resentment and patronization of the Batman from The Joker. I think it's going to be great.

"Take this guy... armed robbery, double homicide... has a taste for theatrics, like you... he leaves a calling card. "

cap020zj4.png

I agree, I don't think it's going to be a lot like the other Jokers. To continue the feel and grittyness of Batman Begins it will require a different kind of Joker. To him all the things he does maybe funny, but he himself is not a joke cracking kind of guy. When people say I think the Joker is funny, it kind of scares me, I don't think a murdering psychopath is truly that funny. And I think Nolan will bring that out in this Joker, where to him, maybe the acts he commits are funny, but we are not going to see a bunch of punchlines being spewed out by this character.

I think it will be more insanity and sadistic then it will be jokes. And I hope that is what happens in this movie. I like seeing new views on certian iconic characters.

Actually B:TAS 's version of the joker was not aimed at kids, at least for that movie, it was aimed at adults, then the producers changed it around to make if for kids for a "profit" which the creators didn't like, but then the uncut original version was released, sorry man, but that was "THE JOKER" ....PERIOD

I agree, I don't think it's going to be a lot like the other Jokers. To continue the feel and grittyness of Batman Begins it will require a different kind of Joker. To him all the things he does maybe funny, but he himself is not a joke cracking kind of guy. When people say I think the Joker is funny, it kind of scares me, I don't think a murdering psychopath is truly that funny. And I think Nolan will bring that out in this Joker, where to him, maybe the acts he commits are funny, but we are not going to see a bunch of punchlines being spewed out by this character.

I think it will be more insanity and sadistic then it will be jokes. And I hope that is what happens in this movie. I like seeing new views on certian iconic characters.

Yeah, but the Joker kind of had this dry wit about him in almost every interpretation I can think of. I don't expect him to be cracking puns every 7 seconds but a few witticisms would be nice.

It's true his witticisms that are funny to him but devious and insane to us are what make him the joker
, they're just needed in the film, he doesn't have to be haha funny like ceasar romaro, more like the batman comics and B:TAS

Yeah, but the Joker kind of had this dry wit about him in almost every interpretation I can think of. I don't expect him to be cracking puns every 7 seconds but a few witticisms would be nice.

I disagree. I don't think that any "comedy" or one-liners about the character would be all that enjoyable. For me at least, I'd love to see the self-righteous apathetic, murderer that really hasn't been able to shine before.

The impression I'm getting is that this character is going to have an air of "showmanship" or theatricality in conjunction with the pre-established themes, but no outright humor. I really hope this character is just truly demented, like we've never seen before.

You know...I've never read one thing from the Joker that was actually funny. I always thought that Joker actually was the only person who ever found anything he said funny.

I'd like to see the joker have a sinister wit. Not laugh out loud funny like the Joker from the animationed shows or even the comics.

Dark ans sinister wit.

What's the point of even having the Joker in the movie if he's not going to act at all like any of the previous versions fans are used to. If you just want a crazed killer than you can use any generic villain. I'm not saying I want a goofy clown on screen, just some mean-spirited gallows humor here and there.

Dark, disturbing, and funny only to him.

But the audience should be able to laugh at some of his "jokes." I laugh a lot at the stuff he does in the comics and the cartoon.

To me the Joker loves to tell jokes, and finds himself and the situations he's in, hilarious. However, all of these are horribly twisted and disturbingly violent. I think Nolan will pull something like that off, making the Joker tell jokes taht are not meant to get a laugh out of the audience, but rather scare them, and the Joker's laughter at these kind of sick jokes makes them even more disturbing.

That was always my favourite characterization of the Joker as far as his psychosis. Psychotics aren't actually insane, and I find it fairly bemusing that a man who has been turned into a seemingly crazy individual purely through his looks then uses this to his advantage in avoiding prosecution.

No no no no no!

Every version I've read/seen, when the Joker falls into the vat of chemicals, it truly makes him insane. He isn't pretending to be insane, he really is. That's the version I like best. Joker's jokes are only funny to him, he laughs at them thinking the world is laughing with him when in actuality, he's the only one laughing. He is sent to Arkham for a reason. In TKJ, when he comes out of the chemicals, takes the red hood helmet off, and looks at himself, at that very moment he becomes genuinely psychotic.

Why? I don't really think he should be 'laugh out loud' funny. We're supposed to hate this man.

Exactly! I'm hoping he chuckles here and there but for the most part I want him to be a sadistic bastard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"