Julian McMahon just doing the voice over.

mattc said:
This rumor is completely false, I've been told that Julian is "signed on and committed" to the role, and that he won't just be doing the voice.

you da man, thank you for debunking the rumor

Lightning Strikez! said:
That's not excuse; you know full well that we kill messengers here.

Well, that...and kittens. :cool:

Dead kittens make me happy.

That kitten soup thing was messed up....I remember that.

mattc said:
This rumor is completely false, I've been told that Julian is "signed on and committed" to the role, and that he won't just be doing the voice.
Thank you so much for that. It really didn't make sense, anyway. Why would Tim Story make a big deal about it on his blog if Julian was just doing the voice.

I have high hopes that he will only be in armour part of the time. Perhaps he's clever enough to find a way to heal himself and then has to MAKE the armour for future protection.

Onlooker said:
I have high hopes that he will only be in armour part of the time. Perhaps he's clever enough to find a way to heal himself and then has to MAKE the armour for future protection.

Except that would just be a further bastardization of the character of Doom. Doom is trapped behind that iron mask eternally. He cannot stand the sight of his own face. That has been official canon for his character since day one.

If Doom is able to walk about in this movie looking every bit like
the same handsome Julian McMahon from the first movie, then there will be no redemption of the character whatsoever from the hatchet job they committed in FF1. They will only have made it worse.

If Darth Vader (A villain inspired by Doctor Doom) could have stepped out of his iron lung suit and strolled about the Death Star or Cloud City as good-looking, normal Annakin Skywalker, he would have hardly been the greatest, most tragic movie villain of all time.
Watching Doom's character warped beyond recognition, in origin,
motivation and behavior, was the most painful part of watching FF1 for me.
Doom is permanently scarred.
Or he's not Doctor Doom.

Now flashbacks - that's another matter entirely.
Show Victor and Reed in the past; that's great...show their competiveness and rivalry, show the genesis of Doom's hatred and jealousy of Reed Richards. Perfect. No problem.

But in the present, he must be a scarred husk of his formerly handsome self, bitter and bent on vengeance against Reed Richards...
...or he's not Doctor Doom.

Thanks, Blades.
I'd rather see these characters I've loved for 35 years played accurately by finger puppets on a cardboard set than see them stripped of so much that makes them who they are in a big budget "blockbuster."

Victor Von Doom is a scarred and bitter genius, bent on revenge and that greatest of triumphs: Proving to Reed Richards that Doom's is the greater intellect.

Ben Grimm hates being the Thing, and though he's "risen above it" on the outside, deep down, he blames Reed for his monstrous condition and is skeptical and cynical about Reed's efforts to find a cure for him.

Those are the characters, FOX. If you can't "color inside the lines" of Lee & Kirby's masterful blueprint, then just don't make a freakin' movie.

Malus said:
Except that would just be a further bastardization of the character of Doom. Doom is trapped behind that iron mask eternally. He cannot stand the sight of his own face. That has been official canon for his character since day one.

the same handsome Julian McMahon from the first movie, then there will be no redemption of the character whatsoever from the hatchet job they committed in FF1. They will only have made it worse.

If Darth Vader (A villain inspired by Doctor Doom) could have stepped out of his iron lung suit and strolled about the Death Star or Sky City as good-looking, normal Annakin Skywalker, he would have hardly been the greatest, most tragic movie villain of all time.
Watching Doom's character warped beyond recognition, in origin,
motivation and behavior, was the most painful part of watching FF1 for me.
Doom is permanently scarred.
Or he's not Doctor Doom.

Now flashbacks - that's another matter entirely.
Show Victor and Reed in the past; that's great...show their competiveness and rivalry, show the genesis of Doom's hatred and jealousy of Reed Richards. Perfect. No problem.

But in the present, he must be a scarred husk of his formerly handsome self, bitter and bent on vengeance against Reed Richards...
...or he's not Doctor Doom.

Agreed :up:

This is funny because last night I was thinking how I would do a Fantastic Four movie and considered using a large imposing figure to wear Doom's armour, but have another actor do the voice.

Malus said:
Wasn't he starting to pick off bits of his face halfway through the first one? I'm pretty sure Doom put that mask on for more than theatricality.

PhoenixFire said:
Wasn't he starting to pick off bits of his face halfway through the first one? I'm pretty sure Doom put that mask on for more than theatricality.

Yes, they at least established that he is disfigured. Then of course, he got superheated and flash-frozen and stuff; his GQ days are OVER.

They need to go further and establish that Doom was responsible for the accident that created them all, not Reed's "miscalculations." As it stands, the movie depicts a reverse situation compared to the comics.
In the comic, Reed tried to tell Victor that his calculations were off, and Victor wouldn't listen. He proceeded with his experiment and blew himself up.
Doom's disfigurement should be the result of his tinkering with Reed's work. That's about as close to they could bring the movies to reflecting the dynamic in the comic.
I really hope they've had that in mind all along, because otherwise Reed just looks incompetent.

That's very interesting, it seemed to me they were trying to enforce the concept of Reed's fallability - "the world's dumbest smart guy" as Johnny put it.

What motive would Doom have had to expose them to the storm, though?

Should it have been his plan to remove Reed and Ben from the picture in the storm so that he could claim their research as his own while he and Sue were safely behind the shielding?

Doom's intent wouldn't have been murderous, but rather competive. He would have been trying to improve on Reed's plans, allowing the station to come into closer proximity to the storm, to maximize the possibilities of discovery...He would have then been able to take more of the credit for the mission's accomplishments and most importantly show up Reed Richards.
Considering what did happen, I can understand his not taking credit.

Wow, can you imagine how Ben would react to this revelation?

PhoenixFire said:
That's very interesting, it seemed to me they were trying to enforce the concept of Reed's fallability - "the world's dumbest smart guy" as Johnny put it.

Should it have been his plan to remove Reed and Ben from the picture in the storm so that he could claim their research as his own while he and Sue were safely behind the shielding?

PhoenixFire said:

The point of "world's dumbest smart guy" had to do with his ignorance about reading signals from Sue (or women in general) NOT his scientific intellect! Of course he's human, but he is supposed to be THE SMARTEST human on the planet. In FF1, even Sue made him seem inept when she was the one pointing out that the storm had picked up speed and Reed trying to tell her he had factored them into his equations. Who was correct? Sue. As malus said, it should have been that for some reason Doom messed with the computer or something and Reed thought they had more time but because of Doom they were exposed to the rays. Maybe Doom was TRYING to kill Reed, Ben and Johnny and thought he'd be safe behind the shields. Anyway, they need to make Reed a lot more assertively intelligent in the next film.

Spider - Man said:
The point of "world's dumbest smart guy" had to do with his ignorance about reading signals from Sue (or women in general) NOT his scientific intellect! Of course he's human, but he is supposed to be THE SMARTEST human on the planet. In FF1, even Sue made him seem inept when she was the one pointing out that the storm had picked up speed and Reed trying to tell her he had factored them into his equations. Who was correct? Sue. As malus said, it should have been that for some reason Doom messed with the computer or something and Reed thought they had more time but because of Doom they were exposed to the rays. Maybe Doom was TRYING to kill Reed, Ben and Johnny and thought he'd be safe behind the shields. Anyway, they need to make Reed a lot more assertively intelligent in the next film.

In the first Frost script, Sue was even smarter, so he at least was given what we got.....certainly not enough but a hell of alot more than the original script.

That's a rumor. Not some confirmation that he's doing the voice only. And he already said he was going to do more than that so

yeah

Malus said:
Doom's intent wouldn't have been murderous, but rather competive. He would have been trying to improve on Reed's plans, allowing the station to come into closer proximity to the storm, to maximize the possibilities of discovery...He would have then been able to take more of the credit for the mission's accomplishments and most importantly show up Reed Richards.
Considering what did happen, I can understand his not taking credit.

Wow, can you imagine how Ben would react to this revelation?

Actually given that they raised the mystery of the storm in the movie and repeated Reed's perplexity as to the calculations it seems safe to say that the storm is related to the coming of the Silver Surfer and Galactus.

Stoy prevailed on Fox and maybe Marvel to go with SS and Galactus instead of the Puppet Master as Avi Arad wanted.

I suspect he was thinking of this all along and was laying the groundwork for this.

I would bet on this.

As for the movie version of the events that scarred Doom. I like this better. somehow it validates the reality of Dooms humanity for me. Most evil people don't start out being evil. It is there in all of us but usually an event triggers the loss of control and the malevelance begins to dominate.

I like the idea of Doom succumbing to his darker side through a trigger ala anakin with the death of his mother.

Having the Surfer and Galactus tied to the storm in the first FF is entirely possible, and would make sense as some have pointed out already. As for what makes Doom, this is what makes Doom to me: Doom is a man whose intelligence is only exceeded by Reed, but his willingness to push the buttons makes him Reeds equal. He is an arrogant man who will never say he was wrong or something was his fault. His pride doesn't let him. He thinks that the world would be a better place under his rule, and doesn't think himself evil. At the same time, he has an undying thirst for more power, and this thirst is often what ends up beating him in the end. The point of all this is, do the scars make the man? In Doom's case, yes they do. The scars are a symbol of his imperfection that he cannot accept, and thus he blames Reed for his imperfection. It is an essential, driving point of his character, and it sucks that they botched it in the first film. I hope Doom in character can be closer to his comic counterpart, but he will never be perfect. That has already been determined.

So it isn't official if Julian is just doing the voice? Doesn't matter to me either way really, but hopefully we hear more on this soon.

WTFwuzThT said:
When does Marvel get the rights back to this?

As long as Fox keeps making movie Marvel won't get the rights but will keep getting layered royalites.

No it's not official. He already said himself he'd be behind the mask for more than just a voice over. But hey this thread got me two free posts:up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"