Just got back from seeing it... Any questions?

henzINNIT

Superhero
Reaction score
Title says it all really.

Anyone else catch a preview?

I didn't see it.

List the pros and cons please. If certain things I really enjoy are in the con, I might as well skip the movie.

Is it any good

What'd you think of it?

Not a whole lot. I was expecting a surprise success, or a total flop. It's really just mediocre.

I didn't see it.

List the pros and cons please. If certain things I really enjoy are in the con, I might as well skip the movie.

Pro's

The cast are pretty good in their roles. It's really not a big deal that Johnny Storm is black or that Ben Grimm is a small guy. I really liked Jamie Bell in this in particular.

The dimension travelling is quite interesting, at least visually. It stands out well enough in such a saturated superhero market.

Victor is not the the failure we were led to believe. He's essentially a rival scientist to Reed. They work together and the brewing contempt he has is quite compelling. You know he's gonna turn, you're just waiting for when.

Con's

Despite the solid cast, there's really nothing for them to grab on to. Emotional and humourous beats fall flat pretty much every time.

The effects are bad. There's one sequence where Reed's powers are demonstrated in the woods, and it is horribly done. Such obvious green screen work. Looked like Wolverine Origins.

It's a classic case of origin-itis, where the bulk of the film is dedicated to how they get their powers, and an under-developed villain plot is tacked on to the end.

Doom gets to dispatch some poor people in an entertainingly gruesome manner, but beyond that his motives and plot are paper thin.

What exactly is the reason for Sue not going on the mission in the first place?

Not a joke. One review says Reed, Ben, Johnny, and Victor are drinking and then decide to use the gate.

Not a joke. One review says Reed, Ben, Johnny, and Victor are drinking and then decide to use the gate.

christian-bale-is-confused.gif

Oh...well...

Is their struggle with their new powers handled well?

Not really. It's pretty much glossed over in fact...

... Soon after they get their powers, Reed goes on the run and the film jumps ahead a year. By that point, the government have built the others special suits and they are already pretty skilled. Reed builds a suit of his own to manage his stretching ability

Did it hurt when you washed your eyes with acid?

Sadly it was nowhere near as memorable as that.

Is thing's voice literally just Jamie's?

No to that one. I assume Bell voiced Thing after the transformation, but it's altered to the point where it could have been anyone. It's much deeper, as you'd expect from a giant rock monster.

Kind of a bummer actually. Bell was my favourite cast member in this.

What exactly is the reason for Sue not going on the mission in the first place?

It really was because she wasn't drunk. The boys have a few drinks after being told they won't be doing the mission. Victor complains that astronaughts are famous when those who built the rockets get no attention. They all decide to use the device without permission. Reed calls Ben to come along because they are childhood friends. No-one seems to think of Sue at all.

Last edited:
Not really. It's pretty much glossed over in fact...

... Soon after they get their powers, Reed goes on the run and the film jumps ahead a year. By that point, the government have built the others special suits and they are already pretty skilled. Reed builds a suit of his own to manage his stretching ability

I like that last sentence in the spoiler. But the rest...uuuuguhghg. Sounds like ASM2.

So much for Cronenberg-esque body horror.

Seriously. Most exciting part of the movie is just fluff. I mean, I didn't expect The Fly, but I expected SOMETHING.

Damn I was really looking forward to that. All others have glossed over it. Reeds costume does look more makeshift now that I think of it

Oh, thank god at least Thing's voice is different than the most recent trailers and tv spots. They literally just dubbed Bell's dialogue over them, and it was hilariously bad.

Honestly, a better story would have been them fighting the government instead of Doom.

It really was because she wasn't drunk. The boys have a few drinks after being told they won't be doing the mission. Victor complains that astronaughts are famous when those who built the rockets get no attention. They all decide to use the device without permission. Reed calls Ben to come along because they are childhood friends. No-one seems to think of Sue at all.

giphy.gif

Is it true that

Ben's abusive brother uses the "It's clobberin' time!" line before beating him?

Can this be fixed in a sequel or should the rights revert to Marvel?

Does the [blackout]year-long jump[/blackout] come off as a blatantly obvious afterthought edit to skip over the "body horror" stuff Trank supposedly shot, possibly in an effort to avoid the darker material?

So much for Cronenberg-esque body horror.

Seriously. Most exciting part of the movie is just fluff. I mean, I didn't expect The Fly, but I expected SOMETHING.

Unless I'm forgetting something incredible, most of the 'scary new power' shots are in the trailers.

Doom's transformation is a little more interesting
He's left behind after he falls into what can only be described as green lava, and when he is seen again, his Doom-like appearance is the result of fusing with his space suit

Is it true that

Ben's abusive brother uses the "It's clobberin' time!" line before beating him?

Not that I can remember, thankfully.

Can this be fixed in a sequel or should the rights revert to Marvel?

I suppose it could be fixed. The cast are solid. They'd do better with a lighter tone and in the Marvel Universe though. I came out hoping this would bomb so it isn't forced into the X-Men universe.

This film is an odd case in that the original films, while terrible, actually did pretty well with the costuming and tone. Even the cast was good minus Alba. They just needed better scripts.

Last edited:
Do they get the costumes at the end? Also can u post a plot summary of the movie. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"