Just to be fair: The Official "Marlon Wayans is Ripcord" Thread

Why is it that some people in here have no problem with character changes if the actor is good. That's such bull. Would you be saying the same thing if Harry Truman or Ronald Reagan were portrayed by good actors such as James Earl Jones and Danny Glover? How about Jack Nicholson as MLK? Or JFK by Lawrence Fishburne? It's not about the actor so much as it is why change something for no valid reason?

Here's where this argument follows short..you're comparing actually people to FICITIOUS characters......yeah if there was a movie based on any actual person and actual events then hell no, don’t change the race. But we are talking about a made up character from a person's mind. I'm not into the comic books like that (love the art work and story lines though, I just don’t read them), but the cartoon I loved, so I really don’t see what personality "ripcord" portrayed that he had to stay a white character. Like superman has to stay white so does spiderman (for instance) but ripcord if memory serves me correctly acts like anyone, and could be anyone!

And I'm guessing the directors to this movie really wasn't looking at ripcord like "we have to have him played by a black actor. I'm assuming they liked what marlon waynes brought to the table and they felt he could fit the part, and that's as rational as you could get. And I love G.I. Joe as much as you do, and don’t want them to ruin this movie either, but I don’t see a blk. actor playing “ripcord” really bothering me.

Here's where this argument follows short..you're comparing actually people to FICITIOUS characters......yeah if there was a movie based on any actual person and actual events then hell no, don’t change the race. But we are talking about a made up character from a person's mind. I'm not into the comic books like that (love the art work and story lines though, I just don’t read them), but the cartoon I loved, so I really don’t see what personality "ripcord" portrayed that he had to stay a white character. Like superman has to stay white so does spiderman (for instance) but ripcord if memory serves me correctly acts like anyone, and could be anyone!

And I'm guessing the directors to this movie really wasn't looking at ripcord like "we have to have him played by a black actor. I'm assuming they liked what marlon waynes brought to the table and they felt he could fit the part, and that's as rational as you could get. And I love G.I. Joe as much as you do, and don’t want them to ruin this movie either, but I don’t see a blk. actor playing “ripcord” really bothering me.
Hmmm......What Marlon Wayans brings to the table?.... What exactly is that? A string of "hits"? I.E. White Girls, Little Man, etc. etc. From a director who brought us such cinematic masterpieces as the Mummy returns, and Helsing? I can even get past the color change issue as racism isn't in my blood. Where as Ripcord being a minor character in this film, ask youself this question isn't Brandan Frasers' Gung Ho appearance minor in contrast to how many members of the Joe team are actually in this film I.E Ripcord? And as I've said before good movies are doomed by bad actors in roles they shouldn't have. As far as them ruining this movie.. Too Late!

Hmmm......What Marlon Wayans brings to the table?.... What exactly is that? A string of "hits"? I.E. White Girls, Little Man, etc. etc. From a director who brought us such cinematic masterpieces as the Mummy returns, and Helsing? I can even get past the color change issue as racism isn't in my blood. Where as Ripcord being a minor character in this film, ask youself this question isn't Brandan Frasers' Gung Ho appearance minor in contrast to how many members of the Joe team are actually in this film I.E Ripcord? And as I've said before good movies are doomed by bad actors in roles they shouldn't have. As far as them ruining this movie.. Too Late!

I said I assume that is what the director thought, I didnt say I thought that myself. I have no idea what Marlon Wayans is gonna bring to the table, and neither do you. You shouldnt assume he's gonna suck at the part without watching it first. That's what I'm going on, yeah I was shocked at first to see him in the movie but I know enough to wait and see how this all plays out before I give my final opinion. I can't make any other comments about whose gonna be in this film and who wont be in, because I really dont know what direction the directors are trying to go in...

and i'm not trying to make this a race issue either, nor am i assuming anyone on these boards are racist. I'm just mainly saying, I don't see the big deal.

I said I assume that is what the director thought, I didnt say I thought that myself. I have no idea what Marlon Wayans is gonna bring to the table, and neither do you. You shouldnt assume he's gonna suck at the part without watching it first. That's what I'm going on, yeah I was shocked at first to see him in the movie but I know enough to wait and see how this all plays out before I give my final opinion. I can't make any other comments about whose gonna be in this film and who wont be in, because I really dont know what direction the directors are trying to go in...

and i'm not trying to make this a race issue either, nor am i assuming anyone on these boards are racist. I'm just mainly saying, I don't see the big deal.

Fair enough. And I will conceed the point on prejudgement. I am basing my judgement on past performance with regards to the director and questionable cast (not the least of which is Wayans!). But knowing what I know of G.I. Joe lore I think it's utterly ridicuolous to "fix" something that isn't broke. Change is fine if only to contemporize a property but a complete rehashing of it to fit someones "Vision" is unnecessary and will alienate the fanbase. And that, IMO, is a big deal and why this endeavor will ultimately fail. (I pulled a Clinton:yay: with the racism comment. I mispoke. My apologies. I didn't mean to infer any racism from the boards here.)

But knowing what I know of G.I. Joe lore I think it's utterly ridicuolous to "fix" something that isn't broke. Change is fine if only to contemporize a property but a complete rehashing of it to fit someones "Vision" is unnecessary and will alienate the fanbase. (I pulled a Clinton:yay: with the racism comment. I mispoke. My apologies. I didn't mean to infer any racism from the boards here.)

ha ha..na it's not a problem...i never once thought you or the other dude i'm debating with as being a racist...and i agree with you on changing stuff around to fit someones "vision" is unneccessary and i couldnt agree with you more "if it aint broke dont fix it" i can deal with minor changes but eating at the meat and potatoes of it (which we all agree this is what's happening) is a BIG PROBLEM!

Is it possible to be bigoted towards anyone with the last name Wayans? If so, then I am a bigot.

ha ha..na it's not a problem...i never once thought you or the other dude i'm debating with as being a racist...and i agree with you on changing stuff around to fit someones "vision" is unneccessary and i couldnt agree with you more "if it aint broke dont fix it" i can deal with minor changes but eating at the meat and potatoes of it (which we all agree this is what's happening) is a BIG PROBLEM!
Ah and here we have the heart of it. They already have changed the meat and potatoes of it. So much so it's not even fit to call it an appetizer. Duke is Cobra Commanders best friend, G.I Joe Team mate and is in love with CC's sister the Baroness who it turns out is being mind controlled by presumed dead brother, CC. Dukes other best friend is Ripcord who gets Duke both into and out of trouble and incidentally hooks up with Scarlett. While Snake eyes has taken a vow of silence. Meanwhile Destros face was burned and his mask is made of nanites. That is a ludicris amount of change. I guess the public is too stupid to have understood the original story. And No hating the Wayans name isn't wrong considering the film gems they've given us!

sorry for the multiple replies. my keyboard is apparently on the fritz!

Yup...i have a major issue with the script..and i will never fault anyone else for having that issue...i dont like the script and thinks it's complete trash..so much so i'm tryin' to ignore that this script exist only to hope the movie still comes out good or there's a better script bring written.

Yup...i have a major issue with the script..and i will never fault anyone else for having that issue...i dont like the script and thinks it's complete trash..so much so i'm tryin' to ignore that this script exist only to hope the movie still comes out good or there's a better script bring written.
While I admire your optimism I'll tell you what my Grandfather told me when I was 8. He said " It's hard for a train to ride on crooked tracks!"

First off, I’m purposely shorten words like "wht, plz and blk" (i do admit some were typos..hey, i'm not prefect) but that's me abbreviating, short text’ing if you will...I would figured you knew that. As we are posting paragraphs here, I rather not sit here and write out every single word, taking up time and space. HENCE why I'm abbreviating/short text’ing certain words...but I guess I have to assume u know nothing and completely write everything out.

You don’t like to ramble, then how long is your post I'm replying to now, along with others I have replied to? That one sentence was the shortest you post, so you may think you don't like to ramble but it sure seems like you're doing it.

And there is no high horse about me, if you read all my post I made it pretty clear....I see no big deal in changing certain characters race, as long as it's not that drastic of a change. I mean, I can't say it any clearer...on less u would rather me type it in bold to you. Yeah some characters there's no need to change their race, at all! ex: (SIDE NOTE "ex" IS SHORT FOR THE WORD "EXAMPLE" in case you didn't know) ex: superman, spiderman I'm sure everyone would be surprise to see their race change, and it's not warranted. That's kind of obvious and really a waste of time from me to let you know that I knew that. That's why I didn’t respond to it and that's why I asked you not insult my intelligence. It was a stupid question (in my opinion). The length at which you type I care less about.

If you wanna go tick for tact, then cool! I never seen you response to my president question at all? I would like a response please!?

another thing "catwomen" was a white character....they gave Eartha Kitt a chance to play "catwomen" in the television series and just as recently as a few years back hallie berry play'd the character on the big screem....so is that a problem?

(and in my opinion...nobody could touch michelle phifer as catwoman)

wow, you say you like to abbreviate because you are too lazy to move your fingers an extra few centimeters to hit the keys, but then you come across and say words like "text'ing" and write "ex", then write a whole sentence next to it telling me you meant example, then writing ex again.. I feel kind of stupid by reading your posts, I believe this would be the same feeling of someone who just smoked crack, you know, the fact you can feel your brain cells dying

however, this post of you trying to save face and defend your.. "intelligence" is stupid, and completely off-topic, so I'm not going to go further, thanks for the easy victory, don't bother quoting me unless you have an issue about the subject on hand, which is not how stupid you are :up:

wow, you say you like to abbreviate because you are too lazy to move your fingers an extra few centimeters to hit the keys, but then you come across and say words like "text'ing" and write "ex", then write a whole sentence next to it telling me you meant example, then writing ex again.. I feel kind of stupid by reading your posts, I believe this would be the same feeling of someone who just smoked crack, you know, the fact you can feel your brain cells dying

however, this post of you trying to save face and defend your.. "intelligence" is stupid, and completely off-topic, so I'm not going to go further, thanks for the easy victory, don't bother quoting me unless you have an issue about the subject on hand, which is not how stupid you are :up:

Whose on thier high horse now! And please what I'm reading from you now is more "rambling" and smart a** comments then the actual topic. Laughin' at you feeling there was something to win here...if that makes you sleep at night, ok so be it. I pretty much talked about the issue at hand. Saving face is nothing i need to do, I careless on how you see it. You are only a screen name and nothing more...so this last post by you did exactly what now???? I'm lost..what were u trying to prove?

Whose on thier high horse now! And please what I'm reading from you now is more "rambling" and smart a** comments then the actual topic. Laughin' at you feeling there was something to win here...if that makes you sleep at night, ok so be it. I pretty much talked about the issue at hand. Saving face is nothing i need to do, I careless on how you see it. You are only a screen name and nothing more...so this last post by you did exactly what now???? I'm lost..what were u trying to prove?

so this last post by you did exactly what now????

sorry to steal a line from the Rock;

WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL???

so this last post by you did exactly what now????

sorry to steal a line from the Rock;

WHAT IN THE BLUE HELL???

emm..... he says he much rather talk about the topic, but yet we get this ^^^. Our debate, back n forth, whatever you want to call it is done. i have nothing more to say to you and you are proving to me you have nothing else to say as well..this is a waste of time and space...but if u like to contine with your babble, please dont let me stop you!

emm..... he says he much rather talk about the topic, but yet we get this ^^^. Our debate, back n forth, whatever you want to call it is done. i have nothing more to say to you and you are proving to me you have nothing else to say as well..this is a waste of time and space...but if u like to contine with your babble, please dont let me stop you!

oh wow, its like reading what I have already written, except in the words of a glue sniffer :wow:

There is a difference between casting an Asian Spider Man and a black Kingpin.

Spider-Man is an average guy- average height, average looks. There are a ton of talented actors who could play him.

Kingpin is 6'7", 400 lbs+. Most actors that size are confined to a niche of playing the monster or the dumb henchmen, so going along with the fact that there aren't nearly as many guys that big as there are average sized guys, most are not that talented, so if you want a talented actor that size, you might have to sometimes think outside the box.

Of Course it is. It was a Stupid decision among many and it pisses people off.

What about this movie shouldn't piss you off
Tatum as duke
English President
Nano bombs and suits
CC with ghost rider mask
Influx of leather

come on this movie has more problems than Ripcord really before this I didn't know about ripcord and didn't care.

It's Ripcord who even cares he is in here

Influx of leather

No offense here, but what are you talking about? Best I can tell (based from those leaked pictures), the only character clad heavily in leather is the Baroness. The Joes are mostly in synthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"