Just to be fair: The Official "Marlon Wayans is Ripcord" Thread

Bug-Eyed Earl

Civilian
Reaction score
Not a well-known character, nor a popular choice. Will we be pleasantly surprised? Discuss here.

Even though Marlon Wayans is annoying as hell at times he can be a good actor when serious. Unfortunatly since the director is Somers I'm pretty sure that Wayans is going to be comic relief, much like that guy Benny in the 1st Mummy. Not looking foward to his character.

When is he a pretty good actor when serious? I don't even think he was that good in REQUIEM.

Wayans is supposedly a big Joe fan which is largely why he got the part. The thing is his part isn't "Ripcord" from any incarnation (comic/TV series), it's using the name of an existing character and giving it to a role specifically written for Wayans to be the generic comic relief.

If Wayans wanted to really contribute to this movie and the writers wanted to give him a role of an actual Joe that held some substance, they should have written him in as Stalker and dropped this whole Ripcord schtick altogether.

*Looks foward to Marlon doing his usual thing of making goofy faces like Bobby Brown and mock versions of mid 90s East Coast machismo in the middle of a battle scene in the dessert of a $100 million movie, while some nerd next to me convinces me that this movie is a "butchering" of some "deep" mythology behind the original 80's GI Joe and Damon's baby bro is the catalyst for it*

Do ya thing Marlon! Make these nerds mad with hack comedic moves! :)

^^ Meh. If he wanted to make a comedic army movie he should get together with Paulie Shore and make a sequel to "In the Army Now".

Not saying that there shouldn't be comedic moments in the movie, just saying that they're entirely taking the wrong approach to it. Keep Wayans in the movie but give him more than just a one-dimensional character. As I mentioned before, the Stalker character has a much more interesting backstory and would be a much more interesting addition to the Joes.

Ha ha "Just to be fair". :woot: :csad:

^^ Meh. If he wanted to make a comedic army movie he should get together with Paulie Shore and make a sequel to "In the Army Now".
Not saying that there shouldn't be comedic moments in the movie, just saying that they're entirely taking the wrong approach to it. Keep Wayans in the movie but give him more than just a one-dimensional character. As I mentioned before, the Stalker character has a much more interesting backstory and would be a much more interesting addition to the Joes.

*ignores you for good because of what your definition of comedy is*

Are you saying Marlon's type of comedy is too highbrow for a Paulie Shore movie? :wow: :hehe: ;)

Being a fan doesn't make you qualified. Its certainly nice if they are.

But Macy Gray likes Spider-man, but people hated her in the Spider-man movie.

Also you guys need to realize who is directing this movie, its STEPHEN SOMMERS. So don't expect some sort of highly layered, subtle drama out of these performances.

Also you guys need to realize who is directing this movie, its STEPHEN SOMMERS. So don't expect some sort of highly layered, subtle drama out of these performances.

Macy Gray didn't really do anything is Spider-Man though. She was just playing herself.

I still think this is one of the worst casting for this movie, even worse than Duke.

It's also a GI Joe movie. If it's on par with TF or better than it's a plus. What do people expect someone to do with tv shows that were basically long toy commercials.

It's also a GI Joe movie. If it's on par with TF or better than it's a plus. What do people expect someone to do with tv shows that were basically long toy commercials.

Not suck with crappy comedic performances and at least have Scarlett/Snake Eyes end up together like the comics the producers say they are so FAITHFULLY adapting and using as their bible?

Stalker seemed a bit too serious for Marlon Wayans. But why did they have to choose an annoying black actor for a white character. Let me guess there aren't enough black characters in the G.I. Joe universe to choose from. Hmm Lets see Doc, Heavy Duty, Colonel Courage, Dee Jay, Roadblock, Alpine, Static Line. Nope not enough.

This is very minor to me considering all the other issues with this movie may or may not have...i love how people in this thread are acting like they never seen a movie where a blk character was portrayed by a wht character or vice versa..i.e. "spawn" ALi's best friend being wht, in "daredevil" the kingpin being blk.....geeez man....if he pulls it off i'm sure most of you guys will be like snakes eyes.. "mute!!"

Not suck with crappy comedic performances and at least have Scarlett/Snake Eyes end up together like the comics the producers say they are so FAITHFULLY adapting and using as their bible?

I was agreeing with your original "So don't expect some sort of highly layered, subtle drama out of these performances." comment.

My problem with his casting is the racist nature of hollywood. The black guy is always comic relief. I bet you will hear a ton of "why the black man gotta..." jokes. Wayans isn't funny and he makes terrible movies, I'm sure he's going to be equally bad in this film.

This is very minor to me considering all the other issues with this movie may or may not have...i love how people in this thread are acting like they never seen a movie where a blk character was portrayed by a wht character or vice versa..i.e. "spawn" ALi's best friend being wht, in "daredevil" the kingpin being blk.....geeez man....if he pulls it off i'm sure most of you guys will be like snakes eyes.. "mute!!"

Which Snake Eyes are you referring to? The Original that we all know and love even though his face and throat were disfigured rescuing Scarlett? Or the One from this movie who has taken a vow of silence!. Hell son, Morgan Freemans a Good actor, why not put some tights on him and have him play Captain America or Aquaman! I've said before and I'll say it again " You can't put a cat in the oven and call it a biscuit! " With more than enough black characters in the Joe Universe to have that ******* Wayans play, Why Ripcord?. If they needed a black paratrooper then Static line is your available token especially if they're throwing in nobodys like Heavy Duty and not Roadblock. If they really needed comic relief then why not Alpine? Daredevil sucked because they strayed way off course. Kingpin should have been white. You mean to tell me that in all of Hollywood a FAT WHITE GUY COULDN"T BE FOUND!? Some things shouldn't be messed with. I.E. If it ain't broke then why fix it?!. And who the hell cares about Spawn? (A stupid fraking cross between Batman and Ghostrider because Rob Liefeld has never had an original Idea in his life!)The movie tanked because it also strayed from the known and accepted story lines and was beleagured with mostly hacktors and rubber suits. What other movie do I see going that same route? Hmmm...Good actors outnumbered by bad ones, completely unrelated and altered history and story line.... OH I KNOW! The new G.I. Joe movie!

Is it just me, or does Wayans sort of remind me of Stalker in those photos? There's speculation going around that Wayans is meant to portray Stalker but as the term 'stalker' has too many negative connotations associated with it to be given to a protagonist, they switched the codename to another character's. Anyone else suspecting this as well?

Interesting idea. Never thought about it that way. But he's still wrong for the part.

SO you guys would be against Jason Lee or Ryan Reynolds playing a latino character like shipwreck. It's not the biggest problem with this film and judging by the new pics that came out he was the only one outside of storm shadow that looked like a joe.

Im not gonna judge the whole movie but i will judge what i see and this movie looks embarrasing.

SO you guys would be against Jason Lee or Ryan Reynolds playing a latino character like shipwreck. It's not the biggest problem with this film and judging by the new pics that came out he was the only one outside of storm shadow that looked like a joe.

Im not gonna judge the whole movie but i will judge what i see and this movie looks embarrasing.

It has been done in Hollywood for a while now. Most famous example would be Pacino playing a Cuban refugee in Scarface. So Ryan reynolds or Jason Lee as Shipwreck isn't such a stretch especially considering the wit and levity we've come to expect from a Shipwreck character. So you could lend that some credence. Ripcord is caucasian and at no time during the comics or tv show do I recall him being a joker. That was always Alpines job. Wayans (Besides being a second rate actor who makes makes dreadful movies completely unfunny and annoying as hell. Just my opinion.) would have been better suited for that role. But my final argument is, why make a rather obscure character a completely diffent race?. No sense. Like I said before, If the studio is putting in second string characters like Heavy Duty and not Roadblock why not Static line (who just happens to be a black paratrooper) whom with almost no one is familiar with and let Wayans use him as a vessel for his brand of Funny?.

It has been done in Hollywood for a while now. Most famous example would be Pacino playing a Cuban refugee in Scarface. So Ryan reynolds or Jason Lee as Shipwreck isn't such a stretch especially considering the wit and levity we've come to expect from a Shipwreck character. So you could lend that some credence. Ripcord is caucasian and at no time during the comics or tv show do I recall him being a joker. That was always Alpines job. Wayans (Besides being a second rate actor who makes makes dreadful movies completely unfunny and annoying as hell. Just my opinion.) would have been better suited for that role. But my final argument is, why make a rather obscure character a completely diffent race?. No sense. Like I said before, If the studio is putting in second string characters like Heavy Duty and not Roadblock why not Static line (who just happens to be a black paratrooper) whom with almost no one is familiar with and let Wayans use him as a vessel for his brand of Funny?. And I whole heartedly agree with you. This is an embarrasment.

Yeah i mean at the end of the day i don't feel it is the end all be all of the movie it is a problem but this cast lacks the feel of imminent danger from the cobra side and from the joe side they can't be taken serious.
For example
The Rock(the movie) what worked with the marines in there was that the people that were cast fit ED Harris, David Morse, John C. McGinley they conveyed the look

these guys cast as the Militaries Elite convey kids that watch MTV and dream of starring in laguna beach oneday they don't fit period

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"