Keeping Harley Quinn on the Team [Spoilers]

Arach Knight

Your Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Girl
Reaction score
During the first run on the New 52 era of Suicide Squad, Harley betrays the team in an effort to hunt for The Joker. Although Waller tells Deadshot to bring Harley back dead or alive, Waller winds up keeping Harley alive after she had been mortally wounded by Deadshot. From a marketing standpoint, I understand why Harley was kept alive and why Harley remains on the team, even with the New Suicide Squad.

My question is, do you believe in Waller's claim that she needs Harley alive because she needs her on the team? That is to say, do you believe that Harley offers an invaluable skill or element that makes the team more formidable, therefore justifying Waller's choice to keep Harley alive? It just seems odd that Waller gave the option for dead or alive (suggesting that she was unconcerned about Harely's ultimate fate), but then opts to keep her alive when the opportunity arises to see her dead.

It is odd, yes. Thing is Harley is very intelligent but also very unpredictable. It would have made sense if Waller dumped her when the new Harley Quinn series came out, cause that series has been selling well since AND right when it came out Suicide Squad's numbers started to drop, cause there was a new way to satisfy your Harley fix, at least that's how I took it as.

Harley is invaluable. Imagine this scenario. You want to enter a compound or building. You send the incredibly hot seemingly ditzy wild chick to make first contact. All heterosexual males lose 20 IQ points when she walks up. We all will immediately think we have a shot. She's that crazy girlfriend of your sisters you should have nailed.

Waller knows she can be a powerful weapon.

Did I make my case?

Not read the series (or any comics for a while). Could it just be because of her attachment to the joker and his possible affection for her? If you having a raving lunatic running around destroying stuff it might be nice to have some sort of hold on him even if it is tenuous at best.

Also she is nuts and easy to put blame on if things go bad.

Harley is on the team due to editorial fiat. Her presence in the films is creative fiat. She's honestly got no business being a REGULAR Squad character. Are you going to do a story where information about the Joker, Gotham or other Bat-villains is key? Okay, on that level, having Quinn around makes sense. But that would be some very limited stories. The Squad should have a wider sandbox to play in inside the DCEU. As such... No, Harley makes little sense having around, especially in taking her "skill" set into account.

@Krypton INC thank you for keeping it 100. Harley shouldn't be a regular member of the Squad as A she has a strong fan base B she's the Jokers lady and she should be next to hi and C it ruins the character. She hasn't done not one funny or smart thing since being on the squad. If anything they should let her go. She's already got her own comic series which I have since dropped its too dumb and girly for my tastes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"