• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Rise of Skywalker Kelly Marie Tran as Rose Tico (IX)

I mean, it wouldn't be my choice for a show, and I don't know that I'd watch it, but if there's enough of an audience for it then that's cool.

I loved Rose Tico. Not just "liked her bc she was a harmless addition", but love-loved her. There's a whole subsection of "everypeople" Alliance fighters that feeds into the Star Wars fantasy, where all you have to be is idealistic and skilled and bam, you're a Rebel/Resistance fighter, no matter how young. You lose friends or family members in Battle X, Y or Z, bc you have them all spread out among ships, but you stay committed to the cause. She and her sister were a great window into that part of Star Wars and it was cool to have one of those folks be used as a main character. She was endearing, distinctive, had a defined personality and saved Finn from a useless death like a total boss. Great introduction, too.

I like that idea for a character, and in fact, it’s why I like Finn... but I don’t care to have my Everyperson heroes stuck in an impotent, sloppy story that clumsily and boringly handles its messages while failing to properly embrace the Star Wars style of escapism. Rose and Finn’s story in TLJ could have worked for me... if it was someone not nearly as developed or fun as Finn getting demoted to such a lame side-plot of a side-plot, and if we were in Star Trek and not Star Wars. Rian Johnson cast a great actres and had a good base idea for the character... but his frightening lack of ambition and apathy towards the plot hurt both characters.

Rose, in my opinion, should have been allowed to “punch above her weight class” in the same way Finn had in TFA, and her profile and story would have been improved by stuff like sabotaging the Supremacy so Holdo’s Ram would actually work in a logical sense, or by just giving her and Finn’s story some significance beyond Johnson trying to express the same anti-war and anti-corporate themes Lucas had done much more excitingly and loudly... by having in-film lectures that required treating Finn as a much blander and less dramatic character than he was.

Regardless, TROS really should have just had her be part of the Falcon crew with Rey, Poe, and Finn; a human mechanic to work alongside BB8 and R2 would have been an interesting dynamic, and having two actual female character break the Bechdel test wouldn’t be hard and would help shake up the dynamic.

Did she even talk to Rey at all?

Kelly Marie Tran seems like a really nice person in real life. It's a shame she had to go through all the backlash because of her role in TLJ.

That being said, I am ok with the fact that Rose had minimal screen time in TROS. Rian Johnson didn't really leave me wanting more from her character - exactly the opposite.

I will say that--the first time I saw TLJ, I didn't know why Rose was a character that I should be invested in. However, personally I felt at the end of the viewing that she went well with Finn. I still didn't really care about her character in the end. She just didn't add anything valuable to the overall story but she also didn't take away from any particular event.

I also wanted Rey shipped with Poe and make another ace fighter pilot/jedi baby--because it's cyclical, it rhymed as is with all SW.

how about no and instead focus on creating new characters like the mandalorian.

Fans don't seem to realize that when they bash characters they rile up their antithesis fanbase.

Fans don't seem to realize that when they bash characters they rile up their antithesis fanbase.

"I warned my young apprentice that as he grew stronger, his equal in the light would rise."

...I can't believe I just quoted The Last Jedi.

Of course, you could also speculate that talk of a Rose show will rile up the die hard anti-fans. But such is the yin and yang of life.

Basically she was the Peleton girl before that was a thing. An actress who got flak for something writers did.

I still don’t get what was wrong with that commercial....

People blew up because the husband got his already thin wife an exercise bike. What the idiots online failed to realise is that just because you are thin doesn't mean you are fit and healthy.

Sorry you were a background character in Rise of Skywalker Rose. Here's a spinoff show as a consolation prize.

The nerds kinda were the catalyst for that. Once you start ganging up on somebody it backfires.

Do the fans actually give a **** about this character? I'm not trying to be cute, I'm genuinely curious given how much clickbait is going around about her screentime

Do the fans actually give a **** about this character? I'm not trying to be cute, I'm genuinely curious given how much clickbait is going around about her screentime
1) Kelly Marie Tran was treated like absolute **** by a certain group of fans, and I am wholly sympathetic to her in that regard.
2) I have zero - I repeat, zero - interest in a Rose Tico show.

This is very selective memory. How about when Mark Hamill was harassed by the Disney side of the fandom for tweeting a photo ? & the Disney side of the fandom also had some choice words for Anthony Daniels after he said he understood why the original fans did not like The Last Jedi / The Disney Trilogy. Why do people only mention the Kelly Marie Tran thing when theres also no real evidence of it happening as thered be screen caps & the like. While Mark Hamill kept the tweet up & theres Youtube videos archiving the Anthony Daniel reaction comments made on Twitter. Yet no evidence backing up what actually happened with Kelly Marie Tran. I love how people only act like ONE part of the Star Wars fandom is toxic when theres examples of the ENTIRE fandom being just as toxic as the other. Yet people only seem to focus on the supposed Kelly Marie Tran thing for the narrative they wanna run with

In reality the ENTIRE Star Wars fandom is toxic if you add it all up & maybe some people just cant accept this simple fact so they have very selective memory

Last edited:
This is very selective memory. How about when Mark Hamill was harassed by the Disney side of the fandom for tweeting a photo ? & the Disney side of the fandom also had some choice words for Anthony Daniels after he said he understood why the original fans did not like The Last Jedi / The Disney Trilogy. Why do people only mention the Kelly Marie Tran thing when theres also no real evidence of it happening as thered be screen caps & the like. While Mark Hamill kept the tweet up & theres Youtube videos archiving the Anthony Daniel reaction comments made on Twitter. Yet no evidence backing up what actually happened with Kelly Marie Tran. I love how people only act like ONE part of the Star Wars fandom is toxic when theres examples of the ENTIRE fandom being just as toxic as the other. Yet people only seem to focus on the supposed Kelly Marie Tran thing for the narrative they wanna run with

In reality the ENTIRE Star Wars fandom is toxic if you add it all up & maybe some people just cant accept this simple fact so they have very selective memory

Are you ****ing kidding? Kelly wrote an op ed about her treatment at the hands of "fans" and you're questioning whether it actually happened? She deleted her social media accounts FFS.

Seriously poor comment.

Are you ****ing kidding? Kelly wrote an op ed about her treatment at the hands of "fans" and you're questioning whether it actually happened? She deleted her social media accounts FFS.

Seriously poor comment.

That can easily be MEDIA SPIN trying to take attention away from the negative attention The Last Jedi was getting & Kelly playing along. There is still no actual proof of anything what has been said taking place. The media = Disneys *****es they will say anything & report Disney demands

Seriously poor comment

There is no real evidence that the KMT happened & Im standing by this

Wow. You're just awful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back