Kevin Smith also wants Keaton as Batman for JLA !

I'm looking forward to that as well, the descent. Whenever I describe Batman to friends I always say that Batman is the person, and Bruce Wayne is the alter-ego. Sort of a psychological thing, like Bruce Wayne is the character he puts on, The Batman is who he really is.

The desent into the batman persona is done brilliantly in BR its so underated by some fans his brooding in wayne manor in the early scenes and the emotionless stare at penguin during there first meeting are my favourite parts in any movie ever.

I just think Batman fans should be glad that there is a legitmate argument to be had which is rare amongst iconic characters played by different people.

Um. Yeah?

I suppose it is a good thing, that we have this range of choice, Superman fans have like two, and we all know who wins that argument.

I think Keaton and Bale are just about level. After The Dark Knight I think we might see Bale pull into the lead.

Possibly.

I think both do equally good Bruce Waynes.

Keaton had the better Batman voice though.

Yeah, Bale's voice seems a lot more forced, but he absoutely nailed Bruce Wayne.

Keatons Wayne was a different interpretation then from the original comics but he seemed (to me) the more believable wayne. theres a part in B89 where vale says wayne manor is so unlike wayne himself keaton thinks about it and says some parts are very much like me or words to that effect obviously referering to the batcave. it is done brilliantly by keaton he just has the extra nuance in his portrayal all others lacked imo.

Keatons Wayne was a different interpretation then from the original comics but he seemed (to me) the more believable wayne. theres a part in B89 where vale says wayne manor is so unlike wayne himself keaton thinks about it and says some parts are very much like me or words to that effect obviously referering to the batcave. it is done brilliantly by keaton he just has the extra nuance in his portrayal all others lacked imo.

Yeah, I know what you mean.

I also love it when, after Vicki Vale asks: "Could you tell me which one of these guys is Bruce Wayne?"
he simply replies: "Well I'm not sure."

Classic Keaton!

That's his comedy roots showing through I guess...

I love that scene so much I love how the emotion in his voice changes. When he goes "actually some of it is a lot like me" he sounds excited you hear in his voice how together & normal he feels when he's in the cave then when he goes "some of it isn't" it quickly shifts into this died down way of expressing himself like he is uncomfortable acknowledging something that he finds to be boring (pretending to be this aloof billionaire). There were a lot of subtle moments like that sprinkled throughout both of Burton's films basically saying a lot about the character without saying nothing at all. It's brilliant stuff to me that's why I tell people when it comes to the Burton films "even if Batman isn't around physically or his history elaborated upon you still feel his presence in every scene and get a real idea of where he came from and who he is". THing is you have to be really into analyzing cinema to even pick up on that stuff.

I'll say this, Bale definitely benefits for more fleshed out material, and that he's younger and more comparable to Batman when it comes to physicality, but the more I watch Begins, the more annoyed I am everytime he's on screen as Batman. The things Keaton did effortlessly with his eyes and his voice, Bale just can't seem to pull off. The whole guttural animal voice Bale does for Batman just comes off very forced to me. And the more I think about the public Wayne persona, I think they may have gone a bit overboard with the smarmyness. Him pretending to be drunk at his birthday party, I suppose that was necessary, but couple that with the dinner with the two models, swimming with them in the fountain, and pulling out his checkbook saying he's gonna buy the hotel, it's all a little much. Wayne has to be a different person compared to Batman, but he doesn't need to be a complete and total prick.

I think Keaton as Wayne sells so well, because it's not just how he acts as Wayne in public, it's how people react to him. It always goes back to Knox and Vicki in his trophy room, for me. The make the usual assumptions about him because he's rich, and cracking jokes about the man, then he shows up behind them and pretty much puts Knox in his place without even trying to. It's like he doesn't even realize what he's doing. Keaton's whole delivery of "Because I bought it in Japan." is just classic, 'cause there doesn't seem to be even a hint of "duh, isn't it obvious" snarkiness to it. He just says it in such a matter-of-fact way, where for the most part, he's merely answering Knox's question, but at the same time he's making him feel like a doofus for not knowing where the armor was from. And then, even after he's chatted them all up and come off like a nice guy, Knox still has his doubts about him, tying it all into him just being some shallow rich guy. Then it's followed by this great cinematic reveal as they pull back the shot with Knox and Vicki looking at the mirror, then we see the cameras behind the mirror, then the monitors in the batcave, then Bruce, and just about everything about his demeanor has changed. All the charm and wit he exhibited earlier is gone from his face, and you just see this stern, determined look on his face, and you know that's who he really is.

I'll say this, Bale definitely benefits for more fleshed out material, and that he's younger and more comparable to Batman when it comes to physicality, but the more I watch Begins, the more annoyed I am everytime he's on screen as Batman. The things Keaton did effortlessly with his eyes and his voice, Bale just can't seem to pull off. The whole guttural animal voice Bale does for Batman just comes off very forced to me. And the more I think about the public Wayne persona, I think they may have gone a bit overboard with the smarmyness. Him pretending to be drunk at his birthday party, I suppose that was necessary, but couple that with the dinner with the two models, swimming with them in the fountain, and pulling out his checkbook saying he's gonna buy the hotel, it's all a little much. Wayne has to be a different person compared to Batman, but he doesn't need to be a complete and total prick.

I think Keaton as Wayne sells so well, because it's not just how he acts as Wayne in public, it's how people react to him. It always goes back to Knox and Vicki in his trophy room, for me. The make the usual assumptions about him because he's rich, and cracking jokes about the man, then he shows up behind them and pretty much puts Knox in his place without even trying to. It's like he doesn't even realize what he's doing. Keaton's whole delivery of "Because I bought it in Japan." is just classic, 'cause there doesn't seem to be even a hint of "duh, isn't it obvious" snarkiness to it. He just says it in such a matter-of-fact way, where for the most part, he's merely answering Knox's question, but at the same time he's making him feel like a doofus for not knowing where the armor was from. And then, even after he's chatted them all up and come off like a nice guy, Knox still has his doubts about him, tying it all into him just being some shallow rich guy. Then it's followed by this great cinematic reveal as they pull back the shot with Knox and Vicki looking at the mirror, then we see the cameras behind the mirror, then the monitors in the batcave, then Bruce, and just about everything about his demeanor has changed. All the charm and wit he exhibited earlier is gone from his face, and you just see this stern, determined look on his face, and you know that's who he really is.

Very well said.

I love that scene and the transition to the Bat-cave. That look on Keaton's face after watching the video says everything.

I love both Batman series. Nolan’s and Burton’s. I like Nolan's a bit more and i like both Keaton and Bale's Batman's.
One thing I don’t like though is Kevin Smith. Every time something to do with comics pop up Smith always has to be there! I know it is because of his popularity on the comic book scene (although I still believe the guy has more haters than fans. One of his movies didn’t even earn it’s budget back right?? – I don’t know and it isn’t really important). I’d like to see someone else give an opinion that is involved with comics some how because the guy makes me wanna explode!:cmad:

Still a good read though. :grin:

Oh and Payaso & Kenk - really liked your opinions, very good read.

They were both great batmans. They were each good in their own way. Though when Keaton has to be Bruce I feel he kind of comes out like a Clark Kent, kinda bumbly and stuff.

Ah, but Clark never beds the girl the first night. In fact he never beds the girl. :)

Kenk got it all down perfectly in his wayne explanation keatoN is just the better wayne with all the joker screentime in B89 keaton holds his own with a SCREEN BELIEVABLE bruce keaton is AMAZINGLY underated in his portrayal as the character.

Repeated viewings of BB are starting to show people what i have been banging on for for years BB has some MAJOR flaws that keep it down the pecking order (for me) thats not to say B89/BR doesnt have flaws but the positives outweigh them a thousandfold imo.

I like Bale's Batman the best. Keaton was great though. It doesn't really matter they're both two of the best to grace the cape and cowl.

the thing i liked about Keaton was that he didnt say anything while, he was in suit which made him a little foreboding cos u had no idea what he was thinking or what he was going to do.

Theres a small part in B89 just as he drops down on the rooftop thugs and they are running away from him the walk he has is so natural keaton was the best in the suit no question imo despite the suits limitations he made it work.

But Kevin Smith also said something along the lines that Batman Begins was the best Batman movie he's seen. And I'm dead sure that even though some people may consider Keaton the best, cause he's certainly in the conversation, Bale's Bruce Wayne is easily the top dawg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"