Superman Returns Kevin Smith Rips On Superman Returns

Showtime

Your Friend In Time
Reaction score
http://www.cinematical.com/2007/02/...smith-talks-superhero-death-wish-joel-siegel/

A tangential discussion also arose about the Superman Returns movie -- Smith admitted not liking it. "It was kind of....boring," he said, before launching into a diatribe on the lameness of Lex Luthor and the silliness of pitting a superhuman alien against a real-estate scam artist. "I'm gonna get a mortgage at .4 percent!" Smith joked. He said that X3 was better than Superman Returns, and also went off on another tangent, about supposed logic problems with the film.

According to Smith, the logic problems occur if you accept Bryan Singer's premise -- that Superman Returns picks up where the second film leaves off, with Superman having sex with Lois, then giving her an amnesia kiss and taking off to go find his relatives and whatnot. When Lois finds out her kid in Superman Returns can throw a piano, and is therefore Superman's kid, why is she not very surprised? She should have no memory of having sex with Superman, so when she visits him in the hospital, shouldn't her first question to him be -- Smith's words -- "When did you rape me?"​

well....he does have a point. I liked Superman returns...but lets not make fun of someone for having different opinions on the movie. He does have some valid points

I could care less for anything Smith says, but I do agree, clinically this is what is called date rape.

See, this is why I think they should adapt "Last Son" for MOS - because 1) it's more Donner love Singer can dish out, 2) it's some of that comic awareness the fans desperately want so much, and 3) they could change it so that
Zod super-raped Lois
instead, thus putting Kal in the clear AND ticking him off royally at the same time. :cwink:

Good for Kevin, although he doesn't quite understand that Superman II isn't quite in continuity with SR. But, he's allowed his opinion. :)

Good for Kevin, although he doesn't quite understand that Superman II isn't quite in continuity with SR. But, he's allowed his opinion. :)

The problem is with the word "quite". It is to a certain extent, and other huge parts just are not clear. Singer could've gotten away with this in the 1950's when audiences weren't so savvy, but today's audience is far more literate when it comes to film chronology.

wow. Kevin Smith said that??.... it's a good thing i care less about Kevin Smith than I do Richard Lester. Get a life, Kevin. Make all the Clerks you want, you'll never be Bryan Singer.

I could care less for anything Smith says, but I do agree, clinically this is what is called date rape.

See, this is why I think they should adapt "Last Son" for MOS - because 1) it's more Donner love Singer can dish out, 2) it's some of that comic awareness the fans desperately want so much, and 3) they could change it so that
Zod super-raped Lois
instead, thus putting Kal in the clear AND ticking him off royally at the same time. :cwink:

Are you ******ed? Im not a big fan of superman, but even I can differentiate between rape and sex.

If you had sex with your wife, and then forgot about, does that mean she raped you? NO! Unless she said no beforehand. But you clearly see she didn't. And superman only erased her memory of his identity, not the banging part. Idiot

Are you ******ed? Im not a big fan of superman, but even I can differentiate between rape and sex.

If you had sex with your wife, and then forgot about, does that mean she raped you? NO! Unless she said no beforehand. But you clearly see she didn't. And superman only erased her memory of his identity, not the banging part. Idiot

Your point is well taken without namecalling.

I had a response ready to counter the 'date rape' nonsense, but yours was far more entertaining and spirited that what I had planned.

I was there. And while the Superman bit was interesting, the best part was when someone asked, and I quote:

"If Transformers had lightsabers, and they were ****ing, and a bunch of midgets came in, would that be cool and could I be in it?"

I was there. And while the Superman bit was interesting, the best part was when someone asked, and I quote:

"If Transformers had lightsabers, and they were ****ing, and a bunch of midgets came in, would that be cool and could I be in it?"

Best...question...EVER. :D

He's not saying that he actually did rape her but she would THINK that he did, like with his super-speed or something, since she doesn't remember.

But thats the thing. The entire "I picked and chose what is continuity" is laziness on Singer's part. How can he expect anyone to know when somethings are and others aren't?

The only thing that really counts is Donner's film. Not Lester's film, not Donner's version of II. Just the first film. I used to think that Luthor's visiting the Fortress from II was canon, but considering his surprise at Jor-El, I think this is his first time.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. The film was made so that one wouldn't have to see the original film or its sequels.

But thats the thing. The entire "I picked and chose what is continuity" is laziness on Singer's part. How can he expect anyone to know when somethings are and others aren't?
Are you familiar with the comics industry at all, Matt?

The only thing that really counts is Donner's film. Not Lester's film, not Donner's version of II. Just the first film. I used to think that Luthor's visiting the Fortress from II was canon, but considering his surprise at Jor-El, I think this is his first time.

Singer has admitted that parts of Superman II take place. He just hasn't verified which. All he has said is that he picked the parts that count and the parts that don't.

But in the end, it doesn't matter. The film was made so that one wouldn't have to see the original film or its sequels.

What? Sure you do.

What? Sure you do.

Not really. Sure, it may help, but you really don't need to see Donner's film to understand the occurences in the film. People already know the origin, they already know that Superman and Lois have had a relationship of some kind. All the rest that they need to know is in the opening paragraphs of the film.

You know, I like Kevin and I'm a fan of his, but I think he still might be a little bitter that his Superman movie wan't made. I mean come on X3 better than Superman Returns, seriously? Imo the SR may have had its flaws but I honestly believe that its in the top 5 as far as comic movies go. I really don't understand how some people can honestly say movies like Ghost Rider and Daredevil are good. I think they're just lame. Oh and btw, I think Lois knew all along that the baby could have been Superman's or if you want to use the S2 continuity her momory could have come back to her when she saw Jason throw the piano.

Singer has admitted that parts of Superman II take place. He just hasn't verified which. All he has said is that he picked the parts that count and the parts that don't.
I did find the whole 'vague history' thing a bit lazy. I read one interview where someone brought up the timing of when Supes and Lois did the wild mambo (in relation to why she wouldn't remember his true identity) and he just responded that he didn't really think about it. WTF.:huh:

Not really. Sure, it may help, but you really don't need to see Donner's film to understand the occurences in the film. People already know the origin, they already know that Superman and Lois have had a relationship of some kind. All the rest that they need to know is in the opening paragraphs of the film.

That is the same lazy logic Singer used. "Some kind of relationship at some point of time"? WTF is that? "The audience knows Superman's origin"? That assumes to much. Believe it or not, not everyone is a comic geek. Sure a lot of people know he flies and wears a cape, but how many people in the general public do you really think knows the specific details about his origin?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otewe2001
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"