• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Kindly Couple: Pruitt Taylor Vince & Neva Howell ARE Jonathan & Martha Kent

I'm something of an adoptive parent myself šŸ˜Œā¤ļø

I do believe WatchProject was implying biological parents šŸ˜
I figured that was what was meant. So itā€™s all cool. But really, the garbage that Snyder pulled with the characterization of Jonathan and Martha was what really upset me most about his films. I love the fact that at its core, Superman is an immigrant who was raised by adoptive parents. If there is one aspect of Birthright that always felt frustrating it is that Jonathan struggles with insecurity at Clark going on to be a ā€œbetter manā€ than him. Iā€™d much prefer Jonathan and Martha being the ones for the readers to strive toward, just as their son strives to be more like them.

I don't mind the idea of either parent being scared and maybe even insecure, in the case of Jonathan... But it's a fine line and prefer him being happy at his son's 'greatness', while wondering if he should have done more with his own life. Seeing him get over or work through his insecurities is also imo inspirational.

But yeah, virtually guaranteed none of this will be in the film šŸ˜‚

Anyway, as a Superman fanboy I personally would prefer them being perfect even if that might be boring to some haha.

Thatā€™s a good way of putting it. What Waid put in Birthright with Jonathan challenged my fanboy desires for his absolute perfection. It did make the character interesting to have a bit of a crisis at the weight of his sonā€™s greatness. It might not be my preferred take, but at least it was maturely executed.

MoS, on the other handā€¦thatā€™s a different story.

It is a very fine line for sure. If you make the Kents indifferent to the risks of exposing their kid, you miss out on good drama. If you make them excessively careful to the point they only care about hiding them (Man of Steel), you make the Kents less... special.

I know it's not a fixed, constant thing in their characterization, but I'm really fond of the Kents as these almost hippie idealists full of their own notions for how to improve the world.

RCO013hh.jpg

Their son becomes a vessel of that, and that's the beauty of him having been found by them over a different loving childless couple. By carrying their torch, he represents the best of what regular folks have to offer. It's not Jor-El's enlightened alien-ness that makes him good, it's the best of us. I'm just too in love with that not to want to see it as a central theme in a Superman movie.

RCO013.jpg

As an adoptive parent myself, I have to correct you. THEY MOST CERTAINLY ARE HIS PARENTS. They may not have given birth to him. But they raised him and helped him be the man he grew to become. That is the very definition of a mother and father.
Oh I wholeheartedly agree, I was just saying how they don't Need to look certain way to BE Clarks parents, visually the Kents could be the most blank slate adaptions from the comics as long as they still encompass the essential qualities.

As Pa Kent well Jonathan Kent I would have gone with George Clooney and as Ma Kent well Martha...Julianne Moore
If so, I want flashbacks to young Martha before she met Jonathan and became a farmer. :o

O5JNFwN.gif

e8mCWvy.jpeg

Cool. Doesn't sound like they'll just be dead parents in a picture.

Not had he said theyā€™re deadā€¦

Open the box James Gunnā€¦

Well he hasn't said they're alive.
True, but "working with them" and hyping their casting sounds like there might be more to their scenes than a short flashback. I think if he wanted them both dead he would've cast them older. But as long as they feature, I'm good.

True, but "working with them" and hyping their casting sounds like there might be more to their scenes than a short flashback. I think if he wanted them both dead he would've cast them older. But as long as they feature, I'm good.
Should have cast skeletons if he wanted them dead, but they might want his as it's their money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"