Kinect and it's effects on the WORLD.

while its probable that microsoft developed this particular variation on their own, this technology has been around for a fair number of years.

While I see the potential, I would like to know what apps/games will be available for it.

On a side not, next E3 should be even better than this one.

Nintendo will announce Pikmin 3, the new Zelda and, for what i gathered, a new Metroid.

Both Sony and Microsoft will announce their 1st motion control games.

Still about Johnny Lee being at Microsoft....

Expect 3D to arrive to the 360 sooner than we think, because he will his technology to them.

Just saw the video clips of this for the first time and I cant see myself using this thing in a game. I need something tangible to hold onto and interact with. Literally waving my hands in the air isnt all that appealing and as much as I dislike the Wii-mote, I think Id prefer that

Yeah, with project Natal Microsoft is basically trying to replace something with nothing. And I don't think that's going to work well at all. Pointing your hand at a screen isn't the same as pulling a trigger or pressing a button or getting some rumble to go along with that.You really need something in your hands to give you that tactile feedback.

That's not the point. They've already said they're not stopping controller support, so anyone who wants a controller can have one. What it's geared towards right now are family settings rather than a gamers rig in his room. If you look, it's clear that they're setting it up to be "casual friendly" as all bad place, but if you think about the applications it could have in games that you're still using the controller with, then you shouldn't think that it will "fail".

That's not the point. They've already said they're not stopping controller support, so anyone who wants a controller can have one. What it's geared towards right now are family settings rather than a gamers rig in his room. If you look, it's clear that they're setting it up to be "casual friendly" as all bad place, but if you think about the applications it could have in games that you're still using the controller with, then you shouldn't think that it will "fail".

I don't think it will fail. :huh:

In the press conference, Microsoft said that all games that came out until the day Natal gets released, will work with it, and so will the games after the release.
By other words, 100% of the games will support Natal.
In my understanding, it says that the games will have the best of both worlds, you can play with a controller or motion controller, your choise.
Of course, there will be games only for motion.

Besides, i think you guys are reading too much on the stuff because we don´t have any clue on what kind of games will be coming out for it.
So, we can´t really say that we will miss the controller....or that we will not...we just don´t know.

Isildur´s Heir;17023615 said:
In the press conference, Microsoft said that all games that came out until the day Natal gets released, will work with it, and so will the games after the release.

I think you misinterpreted them (or I did).

What I believe they said was that every XBOX 360 past, present, and future will support Natal, meaning you don't have to buy a new system for Natal to work, not that the previously-released games will work with Natal.

Nintendo ‘rejected’ rivals’ choice of technology

"Nintendo tried and rejected the motion-sensing technology that Sony and Microsoft are counting on to catch up in the video game wars, the company’s president told the Financial Times.

Satoru Iwata said his company had made experimental games controlled by camera-based sensors, but got better results with the accelerometers it eventually chose to use for its Wii console.

Mr Iwata’s comments throw down the gauntlet to Nintendo’s rivals, both of which announced motion controllers based on cameras this week in an effort to catch up with the Wii’s runaway sales lead.

The Wii has sold more than 50m units worldwide, compared with 30m of Microsoft’s Xbox 360, which launched a year earlier, and 23m of Sony’s PlayStation 3.

“Until they say when they’re releasing it, how much it costs and what software it comes with, we won’t know whether that is the route we should have taken. However . . . I think they couldn’t choose to release exactly the same thing,” said Mr Iwata.

He was happy that the innovation that made the Wii a hit three years ago was becoming an industry standard. “Companies whose people said that motion-sensing wouldn’t work are now proposing motion sensors,” he said.

When a player moves the Wii’s controller, a built-in accelerometer translates that motion into game commands. Nintendo is about to release an upgrade that can detect subtler movements, such as a flick of the wrist to add topspin.

Sony’s new controller, to be launched next spring, uses a camera to detect the waving of a wand.

Kazuo Hirai, president of Sony Computer Entertainment, said it was the best way precisely to track motion towards or away from the screen, and that the PlayStation 3, which has more processing power than the Wii, can do so with no time lag.

Microsoft’s new controller is the most radical. Combining a camera and a depth sensor, it directly tracks every motion of the player’s body so the player need not hold anything at all.

Demonstrations of Microsoft and Sony’s controllers were well received by analysts, gamers and game designers. Todd Greenwald, senior research analyst at the brokerage Signal Hill, described Microsoft’s controller as “highly innovative” and in a note to clients said that it “goes way beyond anything being done right now by the Wii”.

But one industry executive said Microsoft might struggle to make the device affordable, because of the large number of components.

John Riccitiello, chief executive of game publisher Electronic Arts, said the controllers of all three consoles looked equally appealing but very different.

“Look at how we’re seeing different control systems unlocking new consumers – look at the iPhone or Palm Pre. Technology’s finally getting easier and more accessible for consumers and that’s going to mean an exploding market,” he said.

Copyright The Financial Times Limited 2009"

Looks like the battle is on.

Isildur´s Heir;17023615 said:
In my understanding, it says that the games will have the best of both worlds, you can play with a controller or motion controller, your choise.
Of course, there will be games only for motion.

Besides, i think you guys are reading too much on the stuff because we don´t have any clue on what kind of games will be coming out for it.
So, we can´t really say that we will miss the controller....or that we will not...we just don´t know.
Im going just based on teh trailer they showed. A racing game was the most traditional genre they showed in it. I cant see myself holding my hands and arms up in the air that long to play a game like that. Id imagine it would be really uncomfortable and the lack of something to actually grip onto and the lack of any feedback really would take away from the gaming experience as opposed to adding to it. Thats something Id definetly stick with the controller for. The casual stuff and mini game type of stuff with it looked good but I think those are the main places where it will be used as a primary controller. They will have to prove me wrong, but I cant picture it for the other stuff out there

I think you misinterpreted them (or I did).

What I believe they said was that every XBOX 360 past, present, and future will support Natal, meaning you don't have to buy a new system for Natal to work, not that the previously-released games will work with Natal.
I just watched the press conference again the moment they announced Porject Natal, and what Mattrick said was: The moment it launches, every Xbox 360 game sold will work with project Natal.

Isildur´s Heir;17025596 said:
I just watched the press conference again the moment they announced Porject Natal, and what Mattrick said was: The moment it launches, every Xbox 360 game sold will work with project Natal.
probably meaning you can navigate menus with it. I dont think they meant every past game will be able to utilize it for gameplay

If that lady drew a big black penis and handed it to Milo, would he have the exact same reaction? I think he would, looks like it's just scripted sequences and triggers.

probably meaning you can navigate menus with it. I dont think they meant every past game will be able to utilize it for gameplay
Don´t know, but i find it very unlikely, just look at Burnout Paradise, which was playable with Natal on E3.
And everyone said it worked perfectly.

If that lady drew a big black penis and handed it to Milo, would he have the exact same reaction? I think he would, looks like it's just scripted sequences and triggers.
Of course it was all about scripted sequences and triggers, at least the majority of it.
We are still (as far as we know) a long way until the first sentient AI.
And like Johnny Lee said in his first Natal related intereview, the point now will be to bring foward what was shown on the presser videos.
I believe that, everyone that is expecting "intelligence" from Milo will hate it to death.

Isildur´s Heir;17025887 said:
Don´t know, but i find it very unlikely, just look at Burnout Paradise, which was playable with Natal on E3.
And everyone said it worked perfectly.
thats one title and Im sure they were working with EA/Criterion in order to implement that. The 360 has hundreds of titles out there. I cant see all of them fully supporting Natal for gameplay. That would require the developers to go back and work on the games again to think up creative ways to get that to work well, test and implement it all. Who has time for that? It will probably be on a game by game basis for past titles whereas new stuff will have Natal in mind as they develop the games prior to release

Dude! Want to see Zachary Levi and Josh Gomez (Chuck and Morgan from "Chuck") playing Project Natal?

Well BAM! Here it is!

More celebs trying it out:

Sugar Ray Leonard, Eric Dickerson, and Willie Gault:

Brittany Snow:

Felicia Day:

Last edited:
Isildur´s Heir;17025596 said:

The exact words from the Microsoft E3 conference, found at 92:17:
"When it launches Natal will work with EVERY XBOX 360 we've sold and every XBOX 360 we'll sell in the future. We can leap into a new era of interactive entertainment without having to launch a new console."
Source

Exactly what i said in my previous post when quoting kez1984.
At this point, Milo is no more than a tech demo, which shows what can be accomplished by Natal, not what it does now.
The thing is, i don´t believe that Natal will see the light of day before Fall 2010, so, that´s more than 1 year of work still to go.
Then again, with Sony saying in the press conference that their motion control is going to be released spring 2010, maybe Natal will come out sooner than we think.

Isildur´s Heir;17025887 said:
Of course it was all about scripted sequences and triggers, at least the majority of it.
We are still (as far as we know) a long way until the first sentient AI.
And like Johnny Lee said in his first Natal related intereview, the point now will be to bring foward what was shown on the presser videos.
I believe that, everyone that is expecting "intelligence" from Milo will hate it to death.
However, there are some people that may give it a chance. But the first time it fails to recognize them (the user), they won't use it again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"