"Leon" & "Nikita" director Luc Besson says he's finished with filmmaking!

MOIDANGEREUX

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/11/besson-lastfilm.html

Luc Besson, the French director of The Big Blue, Nikita and The Fifth Element, says his latest movie will be his last.
besson-luc-cp-10233808.jpg
Luc Besson, seen here at a film festival in China in June 2006, says he has directed his last film. (Color China Photo/Associated Press)
The 47-year-old filmmaker said Monday he wants to devote himself to other personal projects, including a foundation to help young people in France's depressed inner cities.

"I want to take a little care of my fellow citizens. I want to take a little care of my planet. I want to act in favour of the inner cities, in favour of the environment. I want to do lots of things," he said.

Besson's 10th directorial effort, the animated Arthur et les Minimoys, opens in France this December.

"They are my 10 little babies," he told a French radio program. "I love them all. I am pleased to have completed this cycle. That is finished."

In a lengthy interview, Besson said he would cease creating movies but did not say if he will cut himself off completely from the business.
Besson was usually the producer and director of his films, which include 1994's Léon (The Professional) starring Natalie Portman and The Transporter in 2002.

He also wrote films such as The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc starring Milla Jovovich and most recently, Banlieu 13 ( District B13).
Banlieu 13 was released in Canada in August and hinted at Besson's concerns about deteriorating conditions in the suburbs of Paris.

Condemnation of political elites
The action flick is set in a Paris ghetto in the near future. It's become so lawless and run by drug lords that the government decides to cordon it off.

Although the plot surrounds an undercover cop who must go into the ghetto to recover a stolen missile, the ending is a condemnation of France's political elites and their treatment of the disadvantaged — a thinly veiled reference to the ethnically charged riots in Paris suburbs in 2005.

Born in Paris, Besson began his movie career in the 1980s, directing his first movie, The Last Battle, in 1983. Born to two scuba divers, he also made Atlantis, an underwater wildlife documentary, in 1991.

Besson hit it big with 1990's La Femme Nikita (known as Nikita in North America), starring Anne Parillaud as a vicious street urchin hired by a secret organization to become a contract killer.

IMDB.com lists five more projects Besson has produced that are due out in 2006 and 2007, including the Jodie Foster-directed Flora Plum.

Meh, no one ever leaves forever, if he gets a good idea it'll start digging at him until he finally writes or directs it. He'll deffinately keep producing though, to help fund his humanitarian projects.

whatever...could care less. It's not like he's directed anything good since 5th element anyway.

Now if Cameron had said this...I'd be devastated..:)

5th element is a classic........

he should do what hes best at.

Damn, that's a shame. Sure, he's directed his share of utter crap, but when he's on the money, nobody does it better.

what?! NO! the professional is one of my favorite films! i loved besson!

Wolfwood said:
Meh, no one ever leaves forever, if he gets a good idea it'll start digging at him until he finally writes or directs it. He'll deffinately keep producing though, to help fund his humanitarian projects.
Agreed. They always come back.

But in the meanwhile, it's nice that he's devoting himself to humanitarian efforts and whatnot.

Ah, that's too bad. His films are really great. But if he's opting for humanitarian work, cool.

better he goes out strong instead of heading into mediocrity.

it's a shame how far john landis has fallen...

Awwww man. I was really hoping he'd squeeze out Mathilda before he decided to call it quits. :(

I hear Angel-A is pretty damn good, and I can't wait to see it. Definitely a great filmmaker, and it'll be sad if he really does leave the business for good.

MOIDANGEREUX said:
http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2006/09/11/besson-lastfilm.html
The action flick is set in a Paris ghetto in the near future. It's become so lawless and run by drug lords that the government decides to cordon it off.

Although the plot surrounds an undercover cop who must go into the ghetto to recover a stolen missile, the ending is a condemnation of France's political elites and their treatment of the disadvantaged — a thinly veiled reference to the ethnically charged riots in Paris suburbs in 2005.

A thinly veiled rip-off of escape from new york more like.

I love besson but I'd hardly call this going out on a high. For me his peak was leon and subway, two absolutely perfect films! :up:

I'll be sad to see him go :(

I really doubt he's done. Maybe he'll take some time away from directing, but he hasn't left the game.

MOIDANGEREUX said:
In a lengthy interview, Besson said he would cease creating movies but did not say if he will cut himself off completely from the business.
Besson was usually the producer and director of his films, which include 1994's Léon (The Professional) starring Natalie Portman and The Transporter in 2002.

He also wrote films such as The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc starring Milla Jovovich and most recently, Banlieu 13 ( District B13).
Banlieu 13 was released in Canada in August and hinted at Besson's concerns about deteriorating conditions in the suburbs of Paris.
Haha, a reporter who doesn't know he's ****. Besson directed The Messenger and wrote The Transporter. Not the other way around. It could be a mix up too.

Besson did say ages ago that he'd direct 10 movies and that's it. Now he's done it and remembered his "promise".
It's a shame. I liked his work too.

"Leon" & "Nikita" director Luc Besson says he's finished with filmmaking!
Luc Besson, the French director of The Big Blue, Nikita and The Fifth Element, says his latest movie will be his last.
besson-luc-cp-10233808.jpg

Luc Besson, seen here at a film festival in China in June 2006, says he has directed his last film. (Color China Photo/Associated Press)
The 47-year-old filmmaker said Monday he wants to devote himself to other personal projects, including a foundation to help young people in France's depressed inner cities.

"I want to take a little care of my fellow citizens. I want to take a little care of my planet. I want to act in favour of the inner cities, in favour of the environment. I want to do lots of things," he said.

Besson's 10th directorial effort, the animated Arthur et les Minimoys, opens in France this December.

"They are my 10 little babies," he told a French radio program. "I love them all. I am pleased to have completed this cycle. That is finished."

Condemnation of political elites

Born in Paris, Besson began his movie career in the 1980s, directing his first movie, The Last Battle, in 1983. Born to two scuba divers, he also made Atlantis, an underwater wildlife documentary, in 1991.

Besson hit it big with 1990's La Femme Nikita (known as Nikita in North America), starring Anne Parillaud as a vicious street urchin hired by a secret organization to become a contract killer.

IMDB.com lists five more projects Besson has produced that are due out in 2006 and 2007, including the Jodie Foster-directed Flora Plum.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/nationa...-lastfilm.html

I'm taking this as an omen that the Hype is going to suck today.
Please get it together.

I'm trying. I was scraping the bottom of the barrel with my light up bra thread yesterday.

Erzengel said:
I'm trying. I was scraping the bottom of the barrel with my light up bras yesterday.
Your preeminent status prevented me from posting

"old"

...and this dude already made this thread in misc. movies.
He must have a picture of Luc Besson that he licks. :confused:

and then the idiotic "The end of the world won't come till "real believers" are driven from the churches on peppermint unicorns."

it's withering

Oh, come on, guys. He's from The Matirix, you know. He's handicapped from the start.

jag

Wilhelm-Scream said:
Your preeminent status prevented me from posting

"old"

...and this dude already made this thread in misc. movies.
He must have a picture of Luc Besson that he licks. :confused:

and then the idiotic "The end of the world won't come till "real believers" are driven from the churches on peppermint unicorns."

it's withering

Let's not forgot GAH's thread about stretchmarks. :whatever:

lol, that one makes me feel sick like when you wake up still/drunk/severely hungover and you see someone eating an omelette and there's some crumbs adhering to the corner of their mouth and they have bad acne scarring and are blasting Dave Mathews.

Wilhelm-Scream said:
lol, that one makes me feel sick like when you wake up still/drunk/severely hungover and you see someone eating an omelette and there's some crumbs adhering to the corner of their mouth and they have bad acne scarring and are blasting Dave Mathews.

Eww..really Mathews?

EDIT: the whole point was to make fun of the guy talking about Rosie O'Donnel. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"